Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Slip Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've been listening to "The Whistler" from 1948-49 a radio program sponsored by the Signal Oil Company. I think the Signal Oil Company was the only company that sponsored the program and in 1948 or 49, Ethyl gas was introduced by Signal. About that same time they introduced "detergent" motor oil. They said it was parafin based and contained compounds the helped among other things to get better gas mileage and less engine wear.

If you are interested in these programs they are available on the newsgroups: alt.binaries.radio.oldtime or alt.binaries.radio.oldtime.highspeed. Through the Internet I've been able learn a lot about our history.

Slip

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Slip -

Both Ethyl gasoline and PCMOs containing detergent additive packages were on the market long before 1948 and Signal was hardly the leader the pack in either instance. Maybe they had some "skillfully-worded" advertising.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
S
Slip Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Jim,

The Ethyl gasoline was introduced by Signal about May of 1948 according to the programs and the Multi Compound oil was later. They did use some skillfully and imaginetivly worded phrases in the commercials. I was only 8 years old at the time and really didn't know the difference between regular and Ethyl and I was in New Orleans at the time. Thanks for replying!

Slip

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved