Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#104738 Sat Mar 20 2004 10:20 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Wayne 60, the Cadillac collectible of tall computer pumps. Brother oldgasser THE AMERICAN GARAGE guessed this featured pump a few days ago at the speed of light.
As many of you have figured out I am not much of an authority on gas pumps but I am an enthusiastic collector with a computer, an internet connection and enough catalyst to generate some good info and pictures that comes 100% from you oldgassers. Please participate heavily in this March POTM, you guys are the ones that make the POTM wheel turn.
I invite you all to send in your pictures, stories, info, etc. on all versions of the Wayne 60. Also please include these different versions along with the basic 60;

* narrow version (60-A)
* showcase models (55, 56, 60-S, 65-S)
* twin models (65 & 66)
* clockface model (866)
* any other versions I have overlooked

The Wayne 60 was introduced in 1935. Wayne, the most innovative gas pump company in the US hit a home run with this design. I can't remember where I read this but the story goes something like this;
"The Great Depression hit everyone hard, especially the many American gas pump manufacturers. Wayne quickly realized that if they didn't come up with a savior pump that they would fall by the wayside as so many of their competitors were. Wayne put together a diverse team of their engineers, production managers, employee wives and even a few art designers to come up with a pump that would be a benchmark for the American pump industry and keep the factory lights on at The Wayne Company. The model 60 result speaks for itself, the 57 Chevy of our great hobby." (the preceeding is not a quote from any reading material, it's my version from memory in a nut shell)
In the early 1900's there were scores and scores of US pumps manufacturers but today there are only three and Wayne is one of them. That says a lot about their strength and long term mentality!

It's safe to say that many computer pumps look somewhat similar at a glance but the Wayne 60 has a perfect design and it's appearance is in a class of it's own. The 60 is a combination of compound curves, flat lines, a pretty face, ornate trim and the unmistakable hips that remind me of a beautiful woman. (The 60-A which has no hips still reminds me of a beautiful woman too for that matter.)

The Wayne Company has, in my opinion, been the most innovative pump company in the US. Wayne developed a "perfect" computer that was so perfectly designed it is still used today. This milestone was licensed to the Veeder-Root company to produce. Granted the high tech electronic LED computers have replaced the Veeder-Root meters but there are still thousands of Veeder-Roots in service today.
Wayne is also credited for building the first stand alone visible pump in 1920 but I cannot take this statement to the bank. Even though I read this somewhere I see where Fleckenstein had a visible pump in 1919 versus the Wayne in 1920. This would be a good subject for oldgassers to expound upon because it's basically a contradiction of "who was first".

Please post any pictures you have, unrestored or restored and anything in between. Some pictures of a Wayne 60 in the process of being restored would really be neat! Feel free to e-mail me any pictures and info that you would like me to post for you. I have several pictures that I will submit off and on within the next week or so.

Well, it's late, I'm wore out and I do hope this POTM opener is okay. WARNING- I can say that right now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but the 21st is now and the show must go on! A good night's sleep should remedy my weariness though!! I'm so physically tired that I may have trouble going to sleep tonight. IDEA: I might try counting Wayne 60's and give the sheep the night off. LOL
Happy hunting,

Neal Dunn gpf

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#104739 Sat Mar 20 2004 10:47 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I'm with you Neal,
I now own 3-Wayne-60's 1 in house & 2 0n the way that I need to restore, just trying to see what company & color combo plus Golbes & decals etc. before I start. I really think the Wayne 60 "clock-face" display is the coolest looking and makes great use of a small area to put all the stuff we collect as well.
Thanks, Elden

#104740 Sun Mar 21 2004 01:22 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Neal knows!
i like your description, only i say its the 1932 Ford of the gas pumps (this ive always said) ITS THE KING! ---

WHEN YOU FIND SOMETHING GOOD YOU STICK WITH IT!

i wanted ONE pump sometime in the late 80s & i bought a 6 foot electric, then 2 then 3 & so on, none i had really did anything for me so i never started restoring any. i didnt know any names: wayne gilbarco, bennett, etc... i learned as i bought them, (i also learned how to move pumps around from here to there! ITS AN ART most of you know how to do this im sure) then i spotted a wayne 60 not far from my house that i looked at dozens of times, i remember slowing down in my car & saying thats what i want right there!!! i still remember running up to that pump & looking at the ID tag & reading Wayne cut 60. i owned that pump 10 minutes later, (free) i took it home & restored it right away. i block sanded for months & it still sets right here next to me as i type! - i restored a few other pumps i thought were neat looking but i always kept an eye out for another 60. i now own several 60s. (right around the dozen mark)

ive been super lucky & only one is not from out of the wild & NEVER have i had A rust hole or needed to buy any body panel (except for doors) it seems i get the same pump over & over, the worst 60 i ever brought home had a hip pushed in & was a bear to straighten but its been restored since the early 90s. --- i have several un restored 60s & all except for 2 of them have had a panel or 2 taken off & stripped, cleaned, sealed & put back on. i have 2 60s all apart, & one is 1/2 painted, they wont be restored very soon because i have a car (or 2) all apart that comes first.

ive never switched a body panel from one 60 to another & the factory brass screws are a 100% must! --- im working on getting this "RUST BUCKET" of a 60 that i will make look good from 20 feet away & use it outside. LOL!

im excited to see everyones 60s posted!
Neal the Pump freak does an awesome job!!!!!!

#104741 Sun Mar 21 2004 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I DON'T HAVE ANY WAYNE 60'S...BUT WELL SAID INFORMATION ABOUT THE BIG DADDY, THE KING, THE CREAM OF THE CROP OF ALL CALC PUMPS. THIS ART DECO BEAUTY IS AN ICON IN THE HOBBY THAT STANDS ABOVE THE REST, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE HAS THIS MONTH IN THIS THREAD. YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB NEAL AND I'LL START WITH THIS:

ANYONE NEEDING PHOTO IMAGES POSTED - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAN ON ME FOR HELP:
d r c o k e @ o p t o n l i n e . n e t

DOC @ THE AMERICAN WAYNE 60LESS GARAGES

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 03-21-2004).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#104742 Sun Mar 21 2004 08:54 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Here are 2 Wayne 60's still in their workin clothes.The one on the left a retired Texaco employee. The one on the right a retired Mobil display.

[This message has been edited by Midwest Oil (edited 03-21-2004).]

#104743 Sun Mar 21 2004 10:41 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Here is two diamonds in the rough that will hopefully be in the paint booth this spring. The one on the left (in primer) I picked up at Columbus gas two years ago. The Mobilgas special on the right was traded at Michigan Gas in Brighton last May. I'll post more pictures as the progress continues.
Lets see some more photos of these awesome pumps!!

#104744 Sun Mar 21 2004 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THESE PICTURES SEND IN BY OLDGAS
MEMBER LARRY IVY:
"HERE IS MY FAVORITE OLD WAYNE 60. HAVE LEFT IT AS IS, BUT MAY ADD A 66 GLOBE AND DECALS"

"ALSO A WIDE BODY I RECENTLY DID"

Hey, Larry....that Gilmore is the same pump on the Stamp I made above according to Hubba, and I believe him!

GREAT PUMPS OLD AND RESTORED.
LET'S SEE SOME MORE WAYNE 60's!

DOC @ TAG

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 03-21-2004).]

#104745 Sun Mar 21 2004 02:32 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Heres A Norwalk from Jlgas, Narrow-Body Wayne 60. I'm sure you've all seen this one from my website. http://www.caltel.com/~jlas/

Heres Eldens clockface Wayne 60, I had to go get it and store it for him. hes going to make into a display when he gets his game room finished.

Check out the ad glass , pretty old.

------------------
www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 03-21-2004).]

#104746 Sun Mar 21 2004 03:57 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I agree,i think the 60 is the king.at least of the pumps most can afford.also i think they are about as easy to restore as any pump besides a ms 80.i like making them into showcase pumps as in this mobil i did.

MILT
GASALLEY
#104747 Sun Mar 21 2004 04:17 PM
G
G
Wow, some great pictures. I do not have a picture of mine that I can post, but I can say that I picked a Wayne 60 up about 3 years agoa from a farm in northen michigan and payed 200 dolars and at the time thought it was alot to spend. John

#104748 Sun Mar 21 2004 07:06 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Big Cheese wanted me to post this, and I quote, "one of the loves of my life!"

THANKS Cheese!

[This message has been edited by gas pump freak (edited 03-21-2004).]

[This message has been edited by gas pump freak (edited 03-21-2004).]

#104749 Sun Mar 21 2004 07:24 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Here's two pictures from our friend Jeff Houston. His reply follows;

Here is my first and only wayne 60. This pump I got on ebay, got the seller to end the auction early. It is farm fresh, been on the same farm since the seller can remember, 40+ years. It was a family farm, he remembered it as a kid.
One of our own, Don Beaver went out and picked it up for me in Iowa last year. It is still at his place in WA. I have never seen this pump in person, can't wait to get up there and see it!

THANKS Jeff!!

#104750 Sun Mar 21 2004 08:30 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
When I picked that Wayne 60 up in Nebraska for Jeff it was still hooked up standing in the guys front yard about 100 feet off from a busy road and he says no one had ever stopped and asked about it....
Just goes to show you they are still out there.

[This message has been edited by gaspumpman (edited 03-21-2004).]

#104751 Sun Mar 21 2004 09:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know that most of you have seen these pictures before, but I bet there are a few new guys that haven't. The Utoco is a narrow body and the Orange and black one is a wide body. The Orange one is still patiently waiting for a Pep 88 globe.

#104752 Mon Mar 22 2004 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY YOU GUUUUUUUYS!
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE NARROW BODY/WIDE BODY THEME TO ME....I'M CONFUSED AS USUAL!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

DOC @ TAG

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved