Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105440 Mon Aug 04 2003 09:06 AM
T-way Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey everyone. Here is that American 902 I picked up last Monday.

As you can see, it is a 6' version. I took the first shot of it next to the Mystery Pump I already had. I swapped out the tops as the tall one was not set up for a globe.

Here is a shot of the faceplate and an inside shot of the VR unit. You will notice that it is missing a few wheels . . . and the gallons are on the top instead of the center.

This shot shows the huge I.D Plate. The smaller plate is a regular-sized 'Underwriters' plate.

Finally, here are shots of the two tops.

I will be getting rid of the short pump, if anyone knows of someone who needs one. I have a line on a fellow that claims he has all of the parts that it would need to make it complete.

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 08-04-2003).]

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#105441 Mon Aug 04 2003 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Jim,
Cool pump. Can't say I've ever seen that model before. Instead of getting rid of the short one, why not make an oil can cabinet out of it? You could use the same colors with the same or reversed paint scheme for the cabinet as you use on the pump. Then you could collect different cans from whatever company you restore the pump to. That would make a killer display. Since the short one won't be set up for a globe you could add a light like Larry did on that great Tok 39 he made into a cabinet. It would be alot of work, but i think the final result would be well worth the effort.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#105442 Mon Aug 04 2003 10:43 AM
T-way Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob:

That is a legitimate idea. I just have so many other things to complete first that I don't know when I would get to it. I also have other styles of pumps that I desire to obtain. So the $$'s would come in handy to finish one of the existing pumps I have - or to put towards another 'new' pump.

later . . .

Jim

#105443 Mon Aug 04 2003 11:37 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
T-way thats a neat lookin pump! look at all the room for wild paint! that pumps screamin out for some wild color!!! paint it to match that pedal car. (burn that baby!)make your own gas like ""T-ways super kiki flamin ethyl"" or somethin cool! then load it up heavy with pinstripes!!!!!! HOT-ROD PUMP!!!! hey i like that nozzle on there tooooo! those are my favorite nozzles. i got weak & bought a NOS like that once & man did i ever have to bend over!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

#105444 Mon Aug 04 2003 11:51 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Just in case youre thinking of keeping the short pump, the american pumps seem to be a mismash of other pumps small parts. The top recessed globe holder is exactly like a neptune/aosmith/smithway pump. Mine is only held in by some spot welds and could easily be removed a put into a top. That should broaden the chances of putting a globe on the pump.
Larry

[This message has been edited by PremoPetrol (edited 08-04-2003).]

larry ivy
#105445 Mon Aug 04 2003 03:13 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
t-way..I have done a couple of these pumps and have a rechromed original globe holder for one. If you are interested , email me. www.severngaspumps@hotmail.com Paul

#105446 Mon Aug 04 2003 03:15 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
t-way..I have done a couple of these pumps and have a rechromed original globe holder for one. If you are interested , email me. www.severngaspumps@hotmail.com Paul

#105447 Mon Aug 04 2003 04:24 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Just bought an American pump that looks identical except mine has 4 ad panels and the face plates are aluminum. Says American Deluxe on them. The spec plate was painted over very heavy and had to use paint stripper to get it cleaned up. It was not near as big as yours and was stamped 502204 900. First number must be serial number and 900 the model. Can anyone verify this? Has a punch out for the globe holder and is wired for a globe. Neat pump.

#105448 Tue Aug 05 2003 07:44 AM
T-way Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Tom 2 tone:

Correct-o-mundo. Cool paint is in the planning stages. I was going to do the pump as a Signal Ethyl pump - but my decals are too wide for the doors. So now it's gonna be a Polly Gas pump to match my lubester. I'll use all the colors I used before on the lubester. With matching panels on the front of the doors along with color breaks at all the 'steps' (at the corners of the doors).

I'm also toying with the idea of making it into a "poor-man's" 36B. All I would need to do is add the 36B chrome trim on the bottoms of the doors and the sides. The overall look would then mimic a 36B - but at a fraction of the price.

Premo:

You are correct about the top. I appears to match my Neptune. However, I haven't restored my Neptune yet, and I haven't gotten a step-ladder to actually get up and look at the globe mount closely.

The tops on these American's are only held on by two long bolts that go thru the top/globe holder down to a cast iron arrangement at the top of the frame assembly. This piece of cast iron is used to mount the electrical 'box' for all the lighting. I pulled the electrical unit out of the short pump for use in the tall version.

Terry:

Yeah, most of the 900-series had the ad glass. Mine is a '902' according to the I.D. plate. My guess is that 902 is the model number for a 'Farm' pump. No ad glass and no need to have price wheels in the VR unit.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Later . . .

Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved