Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This my first globe!!! Not that I have many. This is my only complete original. I have a set of original 15" lenses i need to get a body for. I have a couple repops. This is 16 or 16.5 inch. I think it's on a low profile metal body. Two lenses, completely original.

Anyway my dad gave it to me for Christmas maybe 5 years ago. He was doing some painting work for a man that used to be a Mobil Bulk dealer and he had this in his garage. He traded some labor from the job for it. He had more, but sadly it's all gone. But I have this, and it was a gift from my dad!!!

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Back in 2000 I was reading Check The Oil and I came across Lonnie Hop's Top O' The Pump. He was doing a project called globes on a budget, where he set aside $25 a week to buy 25-30 entry level globes averaging about $130. Up untill this time I figured globes where to expensive for me. I decided to give it a try and pickup 10 or so globes. So the madness began. My first buy was this single lens Cities. Last count was over 200 globes or single lenses, with average cost at $121. So Lonnie all this madness is your fault. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's my first original set of lenses. They're in a repro ripple body.

Sorry - no shot of me. I was the only one home when I took this shot.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
posting for george j
By oldnfuelish

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 02-06-2008).]

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thans to Mick(oldnfuelish) for posting the pic. This Pioneer High was purchased with absolutely no knowledge of globes. I had been recently looking at an old Corvair for parts and in the barn was the shell of an old gas pump. I thought it would look cool with my old cars so a deal was made for both. As beginners luck struck I found out it sas a Tokheim 850. Al;l I knew was that it was very heavy. While visiting an antuque mall shortly after that, I spotted this globe and just had to have it. It sat in my bedroom for a while and then I thought another would be nice and you know the rest of the story. That was over 15 yrs ago and now I have somehow aquired somewhat over 120 of these beauties. Some common, some rare but all loved. I don't have much more room to display so now to get a new one, I sell one or trade one of the others. Can't stand to have them packed in boxes but I am still looking.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Richard;

I am not going to apoligize for getting you started in the globe hobby! I know that it is addictive, but it is also loads of fun! You don't need a lot of high priced globes to make a great collection. If you have 200 items of any type of collectible it will be pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing your story. I know there are many other Oldgas members out there with globes. We have several weeks left on this feature, why not take a few minutes and share your first globe with the rest of us. Thanks!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first globe was this Economy, of which I've only seen one other to date. I'm not sure what company it came from, but it is possible that it's from Carl Bolch Oil Co. of St. Louis.

I got it at the Iola swap meet in 2005. At that swap meet, I knew I wanted to buy a globe, and made the choice between this one and a gold crown.

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes bought me my first globe at Spring Peotone 2006. It's nothing really special or out of the ordinary, but I like it! And then the madness began...

Tara

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Shot with KODAK DC3200 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-02-09

I started working for a Marathon jobber in the late 1960's. During the slow times in the 1970's I would get the job of dismantling a closed bulk plant. Bringing back the dock pumps, loading arms, meters,registers and etc. Also loading up the dumpster with warehouse trash. So my first globe comes from one of those salvage jobs.
I had my wife take a couple pictures of me holding the globe but they didn't turn out. She said it was something to do with the subject matter??

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
This is a shot of my first globe, which is also my favorite.
I stopped at an old bait shot about 6 miles from my house, which I knew had been a filling station for many years. Since I do not fish all I really wanted was a six pack of Old Milwaukee. On a hunch, I asked the owner if he had ever checked out the crawl space attic for any gas stuff. Sure enough he had. He dug through the back room, and showed me this Bonded, globe.He had broken one of the ad. glasses getting it out. however all the pieces were there. He said if it was not broken he would need $100.00 for it, but I could have it for $50.00. so I glued all the pieces together and keep that side to the wall, and it displays very well.I still look for globes from the smaller companies and have found a few, but this was my first. Norm.

Norm Huff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I BOUGHT THIS GLOBE FROM A SHELL JOBBER IN PATTERSON CA.IN 1972 WHILE DELIVERING A LOAD OF FUEL.PAID $20.00 FOR IT.LUCKY THAT I HAD THAT MUCH CASH AT THAT TIME!

------------------
frank jordan

Frank Jordan
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Frank, I was 17 in 1972 I can relate to what you're saying about having 20.00 back then;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys & Gals;

Looking good so far, lotsa good stories! We have two more weeks left on this topic and I know there are many oldgas members out there that have at least one globe. Please take a few minutes and share them! Aaron is out of town but will be posting his first globe next week and telling you his story. March/April globe of the Month(s) will start after the Peotone show sometime during the week of March 3. Stay tuned for more details. Thanks!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I want to thank Lonnie for doing globe of the month. I remember him with shoulder length hair,without gray in it yrs. ago and aaron was a lot shorter then. We've all seen a lot of the globes we're posting but I like putting faces and the stories behind them with them, so come on guys pick up the pace even if you're not as good lookin as me;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If any one has a photo they would like to post but don't want there image used else where I can edit the image. Send me your photo and I can add some words over the image.

We can put anything you want on the picture.
Sample:

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved