Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can also add text like this.

Just trying to help get more participation in GOTM and let people fell more comfortable about posting an image.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

As many of you know there is an ongoing debate on one of the other oldgas forums about the "borrowing" of images that are posted on the oldgas site. I am going to take a moment here to ask that anyone looking at the globe of the month posts to please respect the images that are used and not use them without permission to make reproductions. Obviuosly anyone who does this hurts the site and the hobby.

You will NEVER hear me bashing or finding fault with anyone on this site and I ask for the same consideration from anyone who adds to my posts. Lets not let the fraction of 1% of the people ruin our fun.

I will continue to post photos and quite honestly will post phtotos in the coming months of globes that many of you have never seen before. I ask and encourage others to do the same and lets not get caught up in the petty things that some people like to do.

So please take moment and post a photo of your first globe. If anyone has anything positive to contribute to this post, please do. If you have anything negative to say, please start you own post. Thanks and lets enjoy this great hobby!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Very well said Lonnie! the key word there is respect.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lonnie I don't have a globe yet but if I find a Champlin globe? Maybe I will get lucky on my next trip to the midwest in march. Thanks for doing the globe of the month I really enjoy it. Jack

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, I believe Lonnie had a Champlin globe for sale at the show in Columbia MO in January.

------------------
Scott Shipers
www.myspace.com/quartcans

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It all started at birth really, when my dad dragged me to my first flea market at 5 weeks of age (I blame him for my addiction to this gas and oil stuff). A year or so later I uttered my first word of "Dino" (honest to goodness truth, most normal babies would say "mamma" or "dadda", apparently I'm not normal). My first globe didn't roll around until some time after that, when I was a few days shy of my third birthday in 1988. One afternoon my dad and I went for a ride up to Traverse City, MI to visit friend and globe/pump dealer Walt Feiger to pick a five gallon Fry Mae West my dad had bought over the phone. Walt always had nice selection of globes and when we arrived and had loaded the pump we went into his house to see what he had for sale. Walt had just recently picked up two sets lenses, a pair of Kanotex Aviation lenses in the original wooden shipping crate for the tidy sum of $800 (things have changed a little bit since then price wise...). The other pair of lenses Walt had were this pair of Buffalo Gasoline lenses that he put on a screw base glass body and was asking $450. My dad was leaning towards the Kanotex Aviation lenses, but only as a three year old can I said "No, no, we need the Buffalo!" My dad (being the cool guy that he was) relented and purchased the Buffalo globe. Needless to say I was quite geeked out over the purchase of the globe on our three hour ride home to Holland, MI. Upon arriving home I ran into the house and hollered "Mom, Mom, I got a Buffalo globe!" I'm sure she rolled her eyes and said "thats nice" as mothers (or wives) sometimes do when their men arrive home with that cool new purchase. In my three year old mind that Buffalo globe became my globe and has always been my globe and always will be my globe, even if I didn't pay for it then. I loved this globe as child and it is still one of my favorites to this day, 19 years later.

As my dad and I thought about this months feature we both reflected on the memories and the friendships that we have built over the last couple decades that would not have otherwise have happened if it were not for these silly globes. Growing up I really do not know any differently then going to shows, antique malls, flea markets, etc... and the people along the way ultimately have made this hobby the great thing that it is. Many familiar faces at the shows over the years can recall a story or two of me growing up running around with a globe or an oil can and have watched me grow up with this stuff and I in turn have watched their hairs gray as they too have gotten older. I encourage any of you out there to get your kids involved in this amazing hobby, because we need some new young blood in the ranks and I can honestly say you won't regret it.

I know there are more of you out there with stories to tell and pictures to share, so please do!

Aaron Hop

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 02-17-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Years ago when I was collecting mostly Soda Pop I was at a Brinkman auction in Minneapolis when this cool globe came up for bid, something told me that I had to have it. That was the end of Soda Pop and beginning of Oil/Gas, I am still a freak about Midwest Oil stuff and anything from North Dakota and always will be!! To me, there is nothing better that the thrill of the chase.

P
P
Back in 1997 my wife and I were living in Texas, and as we often did back then we traveled to high school football games in support of our local team. We were doing just that in early December, traveling from Dallas west on interstate 20 toward Midland, when we exited to fill up with gas. As we headed back up the interstate entrance ramp, my wife shouted "Richard, STOP the car". I pulled over as quick as I could, wondering if she was ill or maybe just off her meds again. She pointed and said "Look over there in the ditch....see that shiny glass object in the weeds"? I finally saw what she was pointing at, so we both got out and headed toward the ditch. What we found was the globe pictured below. It was dusty and half covered with weed, but otherwise in excellent condition. At that time I had been collecting signs and cans for over ten years, but hadn't really been interested in globes. But I told my later that evening "if finding nice globes is going to be this easy, I think I'll start collecting them!!!" Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now I know what you're thinkin'.......... "Nooooooo Waaaay.....that's the biggest bunch of BS I've ever heard!!!" Well.....you're right, but it sounds so much better than the truth, which is I got the globe off eBay.

Richard

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 02-18-2008).]

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pegasus......That's too funny.

Nice collection.

Thanks everyone for sharin'

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Only have 5 globes but this was my first- Had only been collecting a few years when I heard of a lady selling off some of her husbands collection- about 1992-Went with my son - bought a few hundred dollars of cans - few signs etc- This globe was on a Fry Visable pump- I asked just offhand what she wanted for pump and globe- She said a lot of money- didnt know exactly what she thought a lot of money was-we kept on looking at other stuff- She said she wanted to remodel her kitchen- I asked what a lot of Money was- reply was that she would not take a cent less than 1000.00 for pump and Globe- took about a nano- second to decide- Didnt want to see too interested so we looked it over for a while and said OK- She was happy as all get out- The real mistake of the day was not taking a wooden curbside gas station with doors etc- era 1900- I had no idea till years later what it was-thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[This message has been edited by 5 quart (edited 02-18-2008).]

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Nice Story, Nice Collection

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Here is one for the repro guys to do. My first globe was a Oriental Regular. This one is actually an upgrade from the first one that had some water damage. The story on how I got it is about as exciting as the globe itself. A friend bought it at an auction. I traded a few good oil cans for it. I was just happy to have a globe!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

Looks like this installment of globe of the month is winding down. I was at friends house a few days ago and took a picture of him with his first globe and will post that tonight. There is still plenty of time to post a phtoto of your first globe if you have not already done so. The next globe of the month will start the first week of March. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Lonnie

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One rainy fall evening around 1964 my Dad pulled the family station wagon up to the pumps at the Conoco station in Bradley,IL. As the attendant pumped the gas and checked the oil I remember sitting there looking up at the globes that were illuminated on top of the pumps. Thats my earliest reccolection of gas pump globes. I was probably 5 years old.
In 1978 my Dad and I built a new house for the eccentric old guy that had owned the Conoco station I remembered from my childhood. Our customer owned the property next to the new house we were building. His late wife had given music lessons in the house. CB had a garage built to look like a barn behind the house. There was a covered patio next to the barn. We would often sit on that patio at lunch time and listen to our customer tell about his experiences running his White Rose and later Conoco stations. In 1982 CB hired us to paint the house next to the one we had built a few years earlier. He told me he had some turpintine or thinner in the loft of his barn that I could use to clean my brushes. I went up there to get the thinner and saw four Conoco globes sitting there. Three had green plastic bodies, and the Ethyl globe had a red plastic body. I asked CB if he'd sell me one. He wasn't about to sell any but he told me he had gotten them in 1933 when he rebranded his station from White Rose to Conoco. He went on to tell me how fragile they were. The next few days I made a nuisance of myself asking CB if he was sure he didn't want to sell me a globe. The answer was always no. The last afternoon I was on the job I was painting the 2nd story overhang when I heard CB hollering that he needed to talk to me. As I was coming down the ladder I could see CB coming up the walk trying to hide a globe. I think I must have jumped rather than climb down the ladder. CB handed the globe to me and said "its yours".
Yes, my first globe is also the first globe I have ever seen.
It was several years before I was able to get another globe. A couple years after I got my 2nd globe CB passed away. I got the Conoco Ethyl globe at his estate auction.
My first globe is currently packed away but I still have it.
Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My 1st globe, complete pump & broken cylinder all happened in July 1978. I bought this pump from Bruce Davis [Kyle Moore's uncle], he had it in an antique shop in Gotebo, OK. for $450. Not knowing how to package the cylinder, I broke a large horse shoe shaped chunk out of it [it already had a couple of BB holes].
I traded the BELL globe back to him the next year after buying another stovepipe RUSH. Bruce took me to Kyle's that year & I was speechless. WOW ! Approx. 80 restored visibles, all different makes & company branded, plus a wall [floor to ceiling & wall to wall]of 1pc. globes. Also had stacks of globe lenses & bodies all over the floor.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved