Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree that the seller should leave feedback first, once the buyer pays. At that point, the buyer has fulfilled their end of the agreement. Like has been stated before, if the seller described the item honestly, they should have nothing to worry about. When a seller states in their auction that they don't leave feedback until the buyer does, it actually makes me leery of even bidding on the item. That to me says that they're not confident in the accuracy of their listing. If I pay for an item minutes after the auction ends (as I usually do), why should I have to wait until I've left feedback to receive feedback? My end of the transaction is complete. So...if I'm not satisfied with the item, I'm getting negative? The whole feedback thing is ridiculous. Intentions were good, but the system isn't working very well. Just my .02.
Tara

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I for one never leave feedback as a seller until I see from the buyer. I have been the victim of a few cases of buyer's remorse where the buyer complains about things CLEARLY stated in the description, and they are just trying to weasel out. Also, just because PAYPAL says you've received payment, they can still rescind their payment. I think the feedback system should be initiated by ebay, like with an automated e-mail from ebay to each the buyer & seller about 15 days after the auction end. They could just ask a simple are you satisfied, yes or no. Check the box, and they pump your rating up or down.

P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Seth: "I for one never leave feedback as a seller until I see from the buyer."

That's exactly what I've been saying in my previous commentary on eBay feedback. A few of the buyers out here seem to think that sellers should automatically enter positive feedback once the payment has been made. However, it's not that simple. As we know, some buyers are dishonest, unreasonable or, as you mentioned, remorseful.

Your statement "just because PAYPAL says you've received payment, they can still rescind their payment" is not quite accurate. If the buyer has paid with a credit card, they may attempt to dispute the charge through the credit card company. Typically, a buyer will claim they never received an item and dispute the charge. However, a smart seller will use Delivery Confirmation and/or insurance to prove shipping and receipt of the item. Simply mailing an item with no documentation is an invitation to fraud.

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 04-27-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that feed back from the seller should be a MANDITORY part of the transaction in order to complete the sale. TOO MANY sellers state that they will give positive feedback IF they receive positive feedback. If I pay, as soon as the auction completes, then I should get positive feedback as a buyer. If I buy the Mona Lisa, and I receive the Dogs playing poker, I'm leaving negative feedback. Why should the seller hold the buyer hostage? If I dont get positive feedback as a buyer, I dont give positive feedback...... 'nuff said!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wasn't going to comment again, but Paul you got me interested in your one sided comments. "Some buyers aren't honest...etc." As a buyer I can say from my experience that some sellers are not honest, but I don't paint all sellers with that same brush. You seem to throw paint all over hell and back. Buyers and sellers are people and in my over 50+ years I have noticed that some people are honest and others are not. It has nothing to do with them being a seller or buyer of ebay items. On a different note: right now I have over 450 positive feedbacks, I have purchased close to 600 items. I have given each seller feedback after the auction was over. Seems to this buyer that some sellers look for the feedback to help drive their sales, but don't feel the need the give feedback in return. I am sure that there are sellers who could give the same kind of numbers, it is a people problem not a seller nor a buyer problem.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Bob: "I wasn't going to comment again, but Paul you got me interested in your one sided comments."

One sided?? Oh, please!! I've been on eBay since 1997 with over 1000 feedbacks. I was a buyer long before a seller. I clearly understand both sides of the transaction. Frankly, I used to have your opinion on the proper sequence of feedback enries. That was until I discovered the same feedback system that other much bigger sellers followed to avoid problems. The key is to EXPLAIN to the buyer that his feedback will signify that he is satisied with the item and the transaction is complete. Then, at that point I, as seller, will enter feedback. If they don't like the process, too bad. We both move on, no harm done. What's the problem??

No feedback is not a problem. Improper or unjustified negative feedback is a real problem.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I get what each and every one of you is saying, and everyone's opinion is as valid as the next guy.....as to what Thunder posted, I don't feel I'm holding the buyer hostage by not giving him feedback right away...for example, one time, a buyer sent me payment via money order. I cashed it, packed his item and sent it. This was pre-MY EBAY days when you couldn't just go in and click "SHIPPED" which notifies the buyer that it is on the way. I didn't e-mail this buyer and let him know I shipped it. It arrived on time and in good shape and he was satisfied, BUT he left me a NEUTRAL for poor communication. SO, I left him a NEUTRAL for being nit-picky. Here lately, I have been having many repeat buyers and buyers I recognize AND THOSE guys, I give an instant positive upon payment. I maintain, there are way too many loose-canons out there to just give auto-positives, because in essence, it's the only bullet you've got if the deal goes bad. AGAIN, this has nothing to do with doing tit for tat if they are unhappy with condition.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul I don't want this to be a ***** between us, doesn't get anyone anywhere. You don't know my position on feedback as I didn't state it. I believe that the seller should GIVE feedback after he receives it. My biggest problem is a seller who gets the feedback, but doesn't feel the need to give feedback in return. To the one who gave feedback and didn't receive any, it is a very big problem. And reread your comments, they are one sided. Your complaints are directed from the seller's point of view, only. Like I wrote, haven't seen you make the comment that some sellers aren't the most honest people. All you have commented on is dishonest buyers.
Bob

Edit to delete unacceptable words

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 04-30-2007).]

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Bob: "My biggest problem is a seller who gets the feedback, but doesn't feel the need to give feedback in return. To the one who gave feedback and didn't receive any, it is a very big problem."

I agree. But note that as a seller, I clearly EXPLAIN my feedback process to the buyer and I ALWAYS reciprocate feedback. What you are describing is just a lazy eBayer. Hey, there will always be lazy and irresponsible people in this world!!

I resent the accusation that my comments are "one-sided". Like I clearly stated, I both buy AND sell on eBay. I also realize there are plenty of dishonest sellers on eBay. However, as a buyer I accept the sellers feedback process. If I'm happy with the transaction, I have no problem entering feedback first.

Hey, let's agree to disagree this time!! But check out what other sellers, like Seth, are also saying before condemning the process.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You guys who don't sell on Ebay...or do just a small amount don't seem to realize that there are some strange ,unstable, or just plain jerks out there using Ebay!

Many bidders don't read the description and when they get the item are not satisfied even though the seller did everthing 100% correct.I don't know how many times someone has asked me questions about an item and it is clearly stated in the listing.

The bidders have less to loose from a negative than a seller...it hurts your business if your rating is bad and could be just some ignorant or nasty bidders that blew it for you. When I want to bid on something and the sellers feedback is not great I will look at those negatives and so many times I can see that it was just a jerk who left a negative for some "problem" totally out of the sellers control.

I don't know of any sellers who actually would cancel your bidding if you have a few negatives...but bidders will stay away if you are a seller.

It's no bed of roses dealing with some of these people who you just cannot seem to satisfy...not to mention the MANY who you cannot seem to get to pay.If I leave a negative I am almost guranteed one back.

I think the only revision to the feedback that should be done is a way to get these unfounded negatives removed completely-- if you can prove your case. Some would be a no brainer just by reading them. This multi-tiered feedback is garbage.

Seth's comments are right on....go back and read his.
Jim
(selling since 1998)

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
P
P
As far as the shipping is concerned i always ship usps priority, and have never had a problem. Parcel post can take as long as 10 or 14 days! If i am shipping a globe i will use ups ground, the shipper will have to pay more for an oversize charge because i use a heavy duty 24x24x24 outer box, but the globe will arrive in undamaged. So, if you want to get that smaller ebay item to the buyer fast use priority, they will not complain about the cost if you are on the east coast and it arrives on the west coast in 3 days time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mr. Wadhams seems to have a handle on things.

PatL, You're playing with fire shipping globes with UPS!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
D
D
my problem with the ebay feedback system is the fact if you get scammed on an item and leave negative feedback you also get one. I dont leave negative feedbacks and ususally just eat the item, but my action only throws gas on the fire because it enables them to continue screwing more people. I know they have forums to remove unwarranted feedbacks but it is a slow and vigorous process that old men like myself dont have time to go through

P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
dsmith,
Please explain what you mean by "get scammed on an item"??

Does this mean the seller didn't send the item? If so, you should file a complaint with eBay and enter negative feedback.

Does this mean that the item was misrepresented? Again, you should file a complaint with eBay and enter negative feedback.

Does this mean that the description and/or the photo were unclear as to the condition of the item? If so, yes, you should most likely "eat the item" because you didn't use due diligence in questioning the seller prior to bidding.

It always helps to elaborate rather than throw out blanket comments on the problem. IMO

Paul

D
D
PABLO, glad you are an ebay expert, why open a thread when you already have all the answers. Let me make it a little more simple for you to understand. I sold a texaco fire chief helment and the guy ask for a refund and his money back, unhappy with item, so I said pay the return postage and I will give a refund. When the package was returned the speaker had been removed, the guy needed a part. I would not give a full refund because my item was returned incomplete, so I get a neg. and after numerous emails to ebay forums its still on my record.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved