Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#114549 Thu Dec 07 2006 07:08 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Butch bring up an interesting point when he says, e-bay has no rules against ending an auction early, maybe it's time they did something about it! what say you e-bay;;;;;;

#114550 Thu Dec 07 2006 08:31 PM
J
J
E-Bay does, doesn't and kinda has rules on ending an auction early....Confusing yes?????

You have four choices to choose when you end an auction early

1. Item is no longer for sale

2. Item lost or broken

3. Error in the starting amount or reserve

4. Error in the description

You can only end an auction with more than 12 hours to go. Less than 12 you live with the results.

Simply right???? - just click on "Item no longer available for sale" and everything for the seller is just swell - right????? - well not really for you see......e-Bay is watching......

About a year ago I ended a few auctions early because:

1. I knew my item would never hit reserve

2. Stupid and insulting questions - for the items in number 1

3. My pictures stunk on a couple of listings and I was getting peppered with questions due to my lack of photography skills. - Time to re-shoot and re-list

4. NOBODY was bothering to read the text or skipping the important parts. I truly think that many people ONLY look at the pictures.

Anyway, I knocked off about four or five in a couple of month period. I got a shot across the bow from e-Bay (it was not a spoof) about ending auctions early and destroying the trust in the site!!!! In other words put a reserve, take better pictures, write better text, ect, ect....BUT IF YOU END ANOTHER EARLY.....YOU MAY OR WILL BE SUSPENDED.....

After that warning I have never ended an auction early again. For Big Brother truly is watching and counting........For when you end an auction early........BIG BROTHER LOOSES OUT ON ITS FINAL VALUE FEES!!!!!!

Never anger the e-Bay gods! I learned my lesson.......

------------------
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim_Becker68 (edited 12-07-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Jim_Becker68 (edited 12-07-2006).]

Jim
#114551 Thu Dec 07 2006 09:40 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Everyone has a chance to bid on the auction when they see it, if they choose not to , it is not seller's fault they had their chance.
I have dealt with John numerous times and he is as honest as they come.
When I first started reading post on this site it was a information site, now it seems to have become a cut throat site with the post of late.
Now you can have a shot at me!

[This message has been edited by souperhigh (edited 12-07-2006).]

#114552 Thu Dec 07 2006 09:41 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Sorry if I spoke out too strong against the guy. It's his auction, I guess he can do what he wants.

#114553 Tue Dec 12 2006 02:05 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I agree that this is not playing fair. If a guy wants to make an offer, put that offer in the little box that says "your maximum bid"!!!!!! If you want offers, make it buy it now with the little offer box.

Also some of you guys say "if it met the reserve it would still be there". One person bidding can not hit the reserve by them self. It doesn't matter if he bid a million. If there is no one else bidding against him, he is stuck!

I know what it is like when a person has there heart set on something they have been looking for for years and would have an endless bid. Then all of a sudden it is gone with no explanation. That is very, very upsetting.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
#114554 Tue Dec 12 2006 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually if you bid at or above the reserve price the reserve will be met and the item will sell. For example, reserve is 500.00 and you bid 1000.00 then reserve is met at 500.00 and if no one else bids you win the item at 500.00. It does not take two people to meet reserve.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#114555 Tue Dec 12 2006 06:51 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Keith,
You are correct. Once any eBay buyer bids more than the reserve, then the reserve is met and becomes the current price until another bid is entered. Two bidders are NOT needed to meet a reserve.

Generally, a seller will leave the auction going if the reserve is met but NOT always.

Some sellers will jump at an offer if they feel it's at or above the true value of the item. However, most serious bidders wait until the end of the auction to place a final bid. The problem is that most bidders know that others will be making offers on choice items and don't want to risk the auction getting killed. Therefore, they make an offer and become part of the problem.

There's no real answer to this "problem" because it's the result of human nature. Best to understand it and go with the flow.

My 2 cents.

Paul

#114556 Tue Dec 12 2006 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I too saw an auction end early the other day. Was watching a TExaco Auto Diesel sign on ebay and it "ended early." I am sure they got a good offer, but for the high $$ items, put a reasonable reserve (or high for that matter) and see where it goes. If it doesn't meet the reserve you are out only the fees and then you can work a deal with the person who made the offer. I have put up items and have had offers to end it early. Told them I would let it run and if it didn't meet the reserve, I would contact them to see if interested. Had a Hamms salt shaker (I thought worth about $10) had an offer for $150, waited and it sold for over $240. But, the item belongs to the person and they can do what they want. Frustrating.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved