Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I would like to hear everyones opinion on this. Assuming a globe is pretty rare, but it is in poor condition, is it worth buying as an investment? Is it worth "restoring"?
I dont know the answer to my first question, but if its rare, I cant see restoring it.
Heres an example on ebay. I havent researched it, so am not sure how rare it is, but with a swastika and shell ordering them destroyed when the Nazis came to power, it has a great history.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't buy that globe as an investment. I just don't see it as being very desireable, at least to globe collectors.
One side looks pretty good. In my opinion restoring the better side of that globe would actually hurt the value.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i asked another oldgasser about this and his answer was it just isnt very exciting.i had to agree,although the history is cool if its real(the history).am watching to see what happens but am not bidding

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I'm assuming your intersted in it or you would'nt have asked. If you like it and it's your price range it's up to you. I'm with Bob, I don't think you'll be gaining much restoring it, it's really not a high end globe in my opinion;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is an etched globe. Repainting should not hurt it and that one would be an easy repaint. Don't really know the value of this one and it is cracked on one side.

Keith

[This message has been edited by keithia (edited 02-02-2008).]

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I find it interesting, but not very good looking...so given its condition I wouldnt bid too high unless I was sure I could resell some day with a little profit. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THIS GLOBE HAS A NON-GERMAN USE COUNTER-CLOCKWISE SWASTIKA. THE CLOCKWISE VERSION IMMEDIATELY HAS (TO ME) A TOTALLY DIFFERENT LOOK!

COOL GLOBE GRAPHICS DESPITE THAT ONE SIDE!

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
If your going to repaint the original globe why not buy a new glass body and repaint it,, I would think they would both have the same value when finished.. Keep it original if you buy it, and only buy it if the subject interests you. Lonnie Hop should have an expert opinion about the globes value,,

Wes.......
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It depends on what you think it is worth to you to look at and the cost. I have a very rare Montana Power ethyl globe i bought with 2 cracked lenses because i couldnt find another for sale and wanted to look at it in my collection. If i ever find a good one i will try to buy it but if not at least this is better than a blank space in my collection. And by the way if anyone has a good one i AM interested. BIG TIME.......Les

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I, too, would also like a Power Ethyl (Montana) globe. You have one, Les, my turn (LOL)

Alex

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I don't think that this is a " SWASTIKA " symbol. That symbol ALWAYS had the ends facing right........

I know there is an " INDIAN " symbol with the ends pointing LEFT..

There is a school here in MICH. that had the symbols pointing left. (as on the globe).. This was a large mosaic embedded in the floor, and they were asked (told) to remove it because it could be mis-taken for
a swastika...

LEFT facing was confirmed as an INDIAN symbol....

------------------
Regards ....
Jerry J .....

Regards ....
Jerry J .....
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I got curious so looked it up. The swastica has been around for centuries and can be found on all continents. It has been found on cave carvings in France.
Generally,for most religions is is a symbol of the sun. Most are clockwise and counter-clockwise is considered to represent the dark force.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved