Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11853 Thu Mar 04 2004 08:25 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Who all gets the Petroleum Collectibles Monthly Magazine? Did you see the very interesting article about "repairing, cleaning and caring for gas globes"? A while back we had discussion about this and Scott wrote a neat article and I just wanted to see what every one thought of it? I think Scott does a great job on the magazine but I think there are a few things I would have a hard time doing to any of my lenses. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#11854 Tue Mar 09 2004 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi John..just got my issue..yes great article but the sandpaper scares me..LOL..whatever works and gets you results though. I am just paranoid when it comes to old paint on glass.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#11855 Tue Mar 09 2004 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I disagree with Scott on this one. He also said something about not being able to wash off fired on paint. Thats not totally accurate. There are two things that will break any paint down given enough time. Sunlight and moisture. If a lens has been exposed to the elements long enough you can take the paint off with just about any household cleaner (even if the paint looks good to start with).
If you feel like you must sand on your lenses(I can't think of one), you might want to start with 2000 grit not the 600 he suggested in the article.
Thats my 2 cents on the subject.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#11856 Tue Mar 09 2004 12:35 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Glass and I don't get along very well. No matter how well I pack a glass item, there are times that they break. Now having said that....there is no way I would ever consider using anything like sandpaper on a globe.....not in my nature.....certainly I'm not lucky enough to have good results!

#11857 Fri Mar 12 2004 02:39 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
well here at big cheese production inc. we also disagree with some of the method's he said to use,how ever we no scott has been at this a long time, and it might work for him, but we would not use his technique;s, terry

#11858 Mon Mar 15 2004 08:45 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Also, be careful handling that glass!! I was putting on a repop lens on a repop glass body to go outside on a pump. I was putting the little brass screw thru the hole when the lens cracked. I pushed it thru, should always screw it in...also, when I put the globe on the pump I BARELY turned the mounting screw in when I heard a 'pop' and the glass base grew a small crack. I have done this numerous times and never cracked anything. Since it was all reproduction I didn't lose any sleep but be super carefull with the original stuff......

#11859 Mon Mar 15 2004 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Midway,
Many 13 1/2" repro lenses are made to fit a capco body. They aren't notched deep enough to mount on a glass body.
There are alot of lenses (original and repop) that have flaking or cracks around the notches. Most of this comes from trying to install the lenses on the wrong type of body. If the screws go in so hard that they need to be screwed through the notch, then they're going on the wrong body.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved