Next Thread
Print Thread
#11970 Sun Dec 11 2005 12:25 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
FYI, I just received a check for payment for a Wayne 70 pump I posted in the classifieds on this site. It looked authentic--cashiers check drawn on the Bank of America in San Antonio, Texas. I called B of A customer service and learned that the check was as phony as a U.S. $3 bill. The bank routing number and the account number printed on the check were phony baloney. Name of buyer was Marselo Rice using email addy of marselorice11@yahoo.co.uk Check was in an envelope from Jamal Smith of 1394 B St. in Thunderbold, GA 31304 and had a postmark from Oakland, CA A report was made to the FBI and the Secret Service to an internet website they directed me to. The amount of the check was $7000 for a purchase price of $3550. Excess funds were to be wired to a "shipper" in England named Josiah Newell of Global Shipping Company International who would ship the goods to the purchaser. I also received several "Nigerian Letters" from people who visited this site. For more details on those, go to Google and tpye in "Nigerian Letter" and read all about it. Remember, if the check looks like rubber, it will bounce. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Dave Folck
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#11971 Sun Dec 11 2005 01:34 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Back when I posted my candy machine for sale, I had received a rather strangely worded request for additional info and photos. The buyer stated that he was from Ireland, and had made arrangements for a freight company to pick it up. When I asked what detail shots he wanted he replied with "Thank you for the photos and information". I replied with "I think that its rather strange that your thanking me for photos that I did not send". That was the last that I heard from them.... I guess that I should have contacted the authorities...

P.S. The Candy Machine is still here looking for a good home...

#11972 Sun Dec 11 2005 01:48 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thunder--Do they think we are refugees from a turnip truck or what?

Dave Folck
#11973 Sun Dec 11 2005 03:51 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
It was just like one of those e-mails that are sent so often....

"My uncle was the president of Zimbobwe National Bank. He was killed by Zulu rebels while on vacation in Cuba. He had $72,000,000.00 in Portugese Banks. And I am contacting you for your help...."

The wording was just so weird, I wish now that I kept it.

#11974 Sun Dec 11 2005 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just received an email from a lady who is in the hospital and dieing. She is leaving me $2,500,000 to do "God's Work." Says I will be contacted by her lawyer in a few days.

Tall 49 Guy. There were two items in the paper recently about people being taken in by those scams. With email, you can hot millions of people and only hit ona few, that would be a "good" day's work. Take care.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#11975 Sun Dec 11 2005 08:28 PM
Online Cool
This site is available to everyone online around the world, honest enthusiasts as well as scammers. Any potential buyer who offers to send more money than needed is a huge red flag for a scam. NEVER ship an item to them or give them the "change" in any way. Their checks take way longer to bounce than normal because of their expertise.

The Oldgas.com Classifieds protects the email address of the advertiser from view by using a form-based response system. If a reply to your classified ad seems untrustworthy, do not respond to the sender. Only when you respond will they get your email address.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#11976 Sun Dec 11 2005 09:32 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jim Potts--My purpose in posting my message about possible scammers was to let others know with names, etc. I've had scammers email me from The Recycler.com as well as yahoo.com Its a shame we have to endure their intrusions into this lovely website which is not the fault of oldgas.com in any way shape or form. Personally, I cannot thank you enough for all you have done on this site. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOURS, JIM.

Dave Folck

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved