Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
An elderly couple showed up at Iowa gas with several repoduction signs! They actually sold $7000 worth before word got out about the signs! They did refund everyone's money back too!!! I honestly don't believe they even knew??? BUT they had the guys card whom they bought all the signs from!!!
I then conveyed to them to go get their money back AND/OR hire a lawyer immediately because he is committing FRAUD!
This guy
Is deliberatly selling these NEW reproductions as originals! He has been doing so for awhile also! He goes to flea markets instead of gas shows OR ebay!!!!
HE MUST BE STOPPED! The signs have heavy shelving, rusty backs, clear coated to shine and some are even dated(see mobil marine!!!) They are getting closer and closer to the REAL deal??? How close must he get before we PUT OUR FOOT DOWN?
Several oldgas members also witnessed what I'm talking about and feel the same way!!!
The elderly couple was VERY helpful in identifying the origin of these and also let me take pictures of EVERY one both front and back! I also invited them to join us on this forum and keep us in tune to their outcome or lawsuit!
Please don't slam anyone so this doesn't get locked or deleted??? It's too important of imformation...

------------------

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
The Monticello crew also sell on ebay under the name bottleman and his wife is ponypainter...
Mobil is dated IR 49!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T

Lastly I'd like to mention that even seasoned veterans in the trade were fooled by a few of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have a $100,000 in signs on my wall!
BUT IF I DID I would really start wondering what is going to happen to this hobby and the prices once he and people like him are allowed to continue???

------------------

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Tom for pointing it out. Even the guys who know it all can get burned once in a while. There was also a fake airlines sign at the show, the dealer pulled it right away once it was identified.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Please note that none had grommets! Most were really shiny(front+back).
All had the drying rack marks on back and/or rusty bubble lookin backs...Few were obvios BUT both mobil marine and flange would fool you!!!!!
Also if you put grommets in colonial, sunny south,
and that graphic master it would be next to impossible to tell($$$) UNLESS your an absolute expert???
They also had a 30 Inch round porcelain gmc
sign that I didn't get pictured because it sold and didn't get returned???

------------------

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
That's the Marine sign I bought and returned. My wife was SOOOO pleasad with herself for finding the sign and pointing it out to me and I was stupid enough to buy it. Now she's all "deflated" but I can only blame myself...or can I
Ray

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Ray, Your NOT stupid buddy OR the one to blame! You were decieved by a High Quality repo as was your wife! This is the FIRST time I have seen any dated repo looking EXACTLY like an original??? That is my whole point! Even the seasoned veterans can be fooled by these....This has to STOP!
I just can't stress how badly the elderly couple felt also!!!!!!!

------------------

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those are the scum from Monticello. I hope the couple get their money back. I'm sure they were duped. How can this be stopped other than posting here? At least those that read this will be educated. Someone contact PCM and Check the Oil so the info gets published. Not all subscribers belong to oldgas.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Well...there's their phone number and email address. Maybe everyone should drop them a line and ask about these fake signs they are dumping on the market.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Carefull-You dont want to upset anyone do you?

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Oh...You sure wouldn't want to upset the person who is ripping people of by passing on known fake signs and causing everyone to doubt whether signs or real or not. Never mind the people who are getting taken for a lot of money.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I tried that once.... Getting the maker to TELL THE TRUTH!!!!! Remember? Ahhh yes.... Hate mails, insults, insults about my Mother, banned from other forums.....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm going to gingerly touch my toe in the water here...
I saw a Power-Lube repro sign at Kane Co. Flea Market yesterday. These people had a "blobby propeller" Socony sign at DuPage Co. Flea Market early this year. They sell a lot of decorative metalwork that they don't pretend is antique at all; plus lately, they have been displaying a sign or two.
None of the signs there were aged or distressed at all. The grommets were shiny and bright. I did not check to see how they were representing the sign, or ask them any questions. Their truck is unmarked, and I couldn't see the license plate(s). When I first read this thread, I thought "if those folks are at Iowa Gas, they can't be here." Then I reread the first post.
At this point I felt I needed to post what I've seen. Until the past 8 - 10 months, I have not seen repro porcelain signs in our area. But they are showing up in northern Illinois.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I may be getting paranoid but does anybody know if this a
repo??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oldsmobile-Sign-Olds...1QQcmdZViewItem

these repos are getting better all the time, its on ebay & signed @ the bottom Pa....I believe this is bogus but i could be wrong......the artwork & colors look off & i have never seen another....

Thanks for doing the work to expose these online Tom, please keep it up.....There are people getting ripped off all over the place like this older couple & other seasoned veterans......I rember seeing that Master Outboard Motor Oil @ Peotone a year ago, It was bought by a seasoned veteran & unless he reads this probably has no idea its fake......
I also had a friend @ Iowa Gas who just bought 2 of the Sunray No Smoking signs for $2000 each in California before Des Moines took place, needless to say after seeing them in Des Moines & hearing their story, he's very upset.....

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 08-05-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Guys- Im no expert on signs- i would buy that Mobil marine without any questions and so would about 9 out of 10 other people I meet at swap meets-used to be you only had to worry if a sign looked too good-thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved