Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380067914331

...obviously a fake - the artwork was shot off a CURVED beer can, hence the 'squashed' appearance of the 'P' and 'C' in 'Pacific'...also, the obvious computer lettering at the bottom of the sign...it would have been hand-generated 'back in the day'....

next:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380066999934

...again - COMPUTER LETTERING on the bottle...it looks nothing like the old bottles that most of us have seen...again, 'back in the day', the sign artist would have worked off a photograph of the bottle, and drawn the letters by hand for the stencils used to create the sign...

...and lastly:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380040394922

...the bottle has the British spelling of 'flavours', whereas the actual bottles are spelled using American English, 'flavors'...there are several versions and sizes of these repros, they ALL have the misspelling...

...I would guess this seller is unaware of the true nature of these signs...I am posting them here in the hopes that no one buys similar signs believing they are original...

...I hope this forum gets more use...it's free, and can be very informative if everyone puts their 'two cents' in...

...PS...that Jenney pump sign mentioned elsewhere on this site is definitely a fake - but to me, the 'computer lettering' at the bottom of the sign is the dead giveaway...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...regarding the Indian Hill dairy sign:

...look at the lettering on the sign - then look at the photo of the bottle. See how the lettering becomes more 'compressed' the closer it gets to the edges of the bottle? Then, see how the same lettering on the sign doesn't? It's a subtle difference, but once you learn to recognize it, it stands out. Back in the day, the sign company would have photographed the bottle, and created the artwork by hand, tracing the letters on the photograph...whoever made the artwork for the new sign didn't even bother to arch the 'Indian Hill' lettering...do you think the dairy would have approved that?...why isn't the phone number on the sign, if this sign's purpose was to advertise the dairy?...furthermore, on the sign, the 'artist' created one half of the bottle, then 'mirrored' it, to create the other half...look closely at the top of the bottle, it doesn't look realistic...have you ever seen an old bottle (soda pop or otherwise) sign where they did this?....not me....look at the 'M' in 'Farm', on both photos, they don't match...the Indian on the sign is much more crudely drawn than the old bottle...my conclusion: whoever made the artwork for this sign used a photo off the web...

[This message has been edited by gulfiend! (edited 10-07-2008).]

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These are some very good points you bring up.......Thanks for sharing & helping us understand these differences.....I for one appreciate it very much.......Please keep us informed.......

------------------
http://www.roadrelics.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Indian bottle definately repo the way they took the back pic instant giveaway i cant believe the price and these people that bid it up that high i feel real bad for them the beer sign in one pic looks like it had a big chip out and it was porely restored but with some of the other pics the shelving on it is deep and to get real deep shelving like that is an early very rarely used anymore extremely hard and time consuming a high heat kiln and several ingredients art version of porcelain sign makeing that sign looks authentic back has pitting it just looks restored no doubt It is so hard to tell i recently had a jenney sign that i was convinced it was authentic and i still don reall know, the fact is unless its marked by a signmaker date code which i usually always look for alot of signs that are selling for huge money in gas and oil now are questionable. I was at MA gas blast this year there were 2 guyes their whom did sign restoration they had an authentic oilzum porcelain sign and one they made you literally couldnt tell the difference except some chips and wear on the old one.

tjccafferty@yahoo.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved