Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127610 Tue Nov 14 2006 06:01 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok I need some opinions and I know you are going to say do it how I want it but I'm not sure I know how I want to do it. I have a Fry 117 I want to restore to Sinclair colors green and white but what should I paint green and what white on this pump?? Here is waht I am kicking around. All green pump with the exception of the gallon selector handle, the wiring conduits and light arms which would be white. Also it would have a white cloth hose with a brass nozzle, brass gallon markers, and a gold visible measure decal with a green and white Sinclair Gasoline decal. However, I am really open to suggestions and would like a good looking pump. Anyone have a picture of one of these done in Sinclair?? Also I need 4 original gallon fingers and a couple sets of gallon markers if anyone has any.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#127611 Tue Nov 14 2006 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sounds like it will look good!send me an email,i think i have a couple of sets of markers.117 is 5 or 10 gal?dont remember.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#127612 Tue Nov 14 2006 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
17 is a 5gal.
117 is a 10gal.
Go to http://www.vintagegas.com/ and look in the visible section for ideas.
db

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE DENT REMOVAL
W/ 4oz., 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 1/2" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. Solid or slotted bank lids.

#127613 Tue Nov 14 2006 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.vintagegas.com/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_image;p=Pumps/Visible%20Pumps;i=55;img=Guaranteed-Fry%20Mod-117%20Petroholic%20collection.jpg

#127614 Tue Nov 14 2006 07:21 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
If you wanted to get really creative, do the entire base section green (everything beneath the center skins). Do the skins in white and then do the cylinder base & cast top/globe cup in green. Then on your cast doors, do green lettering. I've done this on a few occasions and it looks great. Do some opposing accents and let your 'bright work' i.e. cylinder rods, bolts/screws/nuts act as a third color by doing polished stainless or chrome plating.

#127615 Tue Nov 14 2006 09:44 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
What most people don't understand the procedure the oil companies went through when they purchased a quantity of pumps from a pump company.
Before I get into that, let me explain, little small town service stations, when they needed a pump, called the closest petroleum equipment dealer. They sent out a salesman, equipped with a number of brochures showing the pumps from the pump companies they dealt with. If the operator decided he wanted an certain pump, he ordered it from the equipment dealer, the equipment dealer usually had one in stock, it was in a big box and it was RED.
Now when a large oil company ordered say 100 pumps for all their stations in a certain area, they usually dealt directly with the pump company. The oil company would then supply the pump company with a drawing of how they wanted the pumps to be painted. Why do I know this, I have over 1000 drawings from the Bennett Pump Company, dated between 1925 and 1935 showing how tons of oil companies wanted their equipment to be painted. If it was a visible pump, the drawings applied to any visible pump, regardless of the pump company, they wanted all their visible pumps to look alike. From the drawing I have, they actually differed according the to different part of the country, meaning a Shell pump in the northeast may not be the same as the Shell pump in California. This is why there is such a variation of pump schemes throughout the country.
What is my suggestion, paint the pump what ever color scheme you like, it really doesn't matter, and there are no pump police to tell you, you painted it incorrectly.
Jack Sim
Author Gas Pump Identification book

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#127616 Tue Nov 14 2006 10:29 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Sometimes simple is better. I am not a big fan of white I like the green. I have seen these done in red and green also. I would go with youre plan and make some brass cylinder rods and polish the gallon markers. The white accents will go good but try and keep them to a min. Maybe a white stripe of sorts on the pump handle and white or brass galon selector. Part depends on youre budget for this pump, I like the hardware all brass plated but thats not cheap. As long as youre happy in the end thats all that really maters. Good luck and post some pics when youre done.
Brandon

#127617 Wed Nov 15 2006 05:38 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the responses. I may have to change my mind. The picture Dick posted looks to be what Seth described and I really like the looks of that one. If I did one like that I may eliminate the lead sign and put a Sinclair Gasoline decal in its place instead.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#127618 Wed Nov 15 2006 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll try my hand at posting a pic,it's been awhile.This is my 117 done up in white and green and looks great,they pic is a little dark,hope it helps.I just went back and looked at the other photos and theres my pump,cool!!Well at least the pics bigger, sorry for posting the same pic.Joe

[This message has been edited by Petroholic (edited 11-15-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved