Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
My brother picked up this sign for dad at Iowa Gas last year. We made a road trip to North and South Carolina last month to see a couple great collections and our last planed stop was at the VanKannel brothers. We took this sign along for them to repair. The sign had great gloss but it also had four bullet holes in it and some edge chips. Dad wanted the sign repaired to enhance the looks of it, not so it could be passed off as original. He had the holes fixed and the big edge chip redone but left the smaller ones alone.I think they did a great job on it. This is a sign that is seldom seen for sale or in collections.
Here is a before picture as it was bought in Iowa;

Here is an after shot after the repair work was done on it, it looks even better in person than in the photoes;

I think they did a great job on it and dad is very happy with the results and their service. Plus we all had fun on our road trip down South.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW SUPER JOB WES! THAT PUT A SMILE ON DAD'S FACE FOR SURE. THAT IS SOME CLASSIC PETRO RIGHT THERE AND THEY DID AN AWESOME JOB!

I WAS WONDERING WITH FOUR BULLET HOLES WHAT THE BACKSIDE LOOKS LIKE?
DO THEY FINISH THAT OFF NICELY TOO?

~DOC

Last edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE; Fri Jan 16 2009 08:07 AM.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, first , thank you for you're service to the country!

Secondly , outstanding , what did you do to re trace the art after you filled the bullet holes in the metal?

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Doc
Tha back side originally had metel protruding from where the bullets passed through. Some one was a good shot as they hit Dino with all four shots. Unfortanately, they also reduced the value of the sign big time. The back side is now smooth and painted black. If you look at the back, you can tell that the sign was repaired. Again, the intent was to make it look better, not to sell and pass off as original.

Ed
The sign was refinished by the Van Kannel brothers. I am not sure of their exact process.

http://www.vankannelsignrestoration.com/index.html

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
hey wes, just wondering what somthing like that would cost to have done. thanks chris

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Chris
We dropped off the sign in person. They did the repair work and mailed it back. There was no bill, dad is going to call to find out what he owes. I assume this is not the way they normally operate but they have known dad for a few years. I myself have never had anything restored by them and have no idea as to their rates.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone looks mighty happy. Good looking sign.
Mike

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved