Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yep--recently we tried to sell the MIL's Depression glass at a flea market booth, and what we sold was for about 1/4 of book value. The rest just sat.

I agree--many of the beautiful porcelain signs, and globes, are art. What I don't think will hold its value is common oil company stuff (not a perjorative term, promise!).

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
aquatic Offline OP
OP Offline
A
TerryL - that was my point exactly with the butter churn.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The future value of gas collectibles depends on whether or not European and especially the Japanese decide to start collecting. I know that we have some very fine collectors across the pond in Europe that post here. But I believe that if and when they give us their opinions they will say that "gas and oil collecting" is still very much in its infancy in Europe. I can see that it will grow as word of mouth and collectors share ideas and open their collections to the "masses". In Japan it isn't on their radar screens yet, but just wait it will. When it does lookout. Their embracing of 50s and 60s American culture will move to everything relating to those years. If one has been to Japan(while working for Weyerhauser here in Longview, Weyco built a newprint mill in partnership with Nipon Paper, so I went to Japan 5 to 6 times a year), they will be flooded with 50s,60s and 70s American culture. Clothing, music, neon and advertising, is more than common. Now most of the people won't have room for a visible pump, the ceilings they used to tell me were 8', but I think their rulers were missing some numbers. I stand 6'3" and I had to duck to get in my room doorway in the hotels. But I regress; the Japanese are going to embrace the signs, globes and smaller display items, items they can place on the pre-fab concrete walls. Anything that will "pop" and we all know that gas and oil items "pop". Just .02 worth of my "hot air". lol

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I'm 27, I've been collecting since I was 12. I definitely think I skew to the younger side of the hobby. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out. It seems to me that a lot of the best stuff is being consolidated with many "large collectors". I'm not sure what means for the future of the hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hobby is strong and the market for the collectibles is strong. At least where I am.

Condition and rarity will bring the money and is where the investments are being made.

People are starting to "invest" more in these types of things as the stock markets are to volotile (sp?) and it's almost like you need a degree to understand it all sometimes.

I would rather put my money in things I know about. That way it's my risk and nobody like Bernie Madoff is going to run off with my money. Some friends of mine in local trade unions took a HUGE hit here over that scumbag.

Buy quality and condition when you can and you won't go wrong. I also am into firearms and related fields and it's the exact same deal in those collecting areas.

Collect what you love, buy the best you can at the time, and you will enjoy it far more than a statement you get in the mail at the end of every financial quarter.

That's what I am doing.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Fabulous topic and one that we all discuss. A couple of years ago, maybe Jim can tell us how to find it, a question was asked, how old are you and what do you collect. Well the topic ended up going quite a few pages and what I found so interesting was the actual number of "younger" people are on this site and are collecting. That said, when you go to shows, but depending on what part of the country you are in, the majority have grew hair, like myself, but there are younger buyers as well. I've always tried to give the young people a better deal if I can because it encourages them to get excited. One final thing. This same question has been asked many times about the hot rod industry and it dosen't seem to be going anywhere. Yes sale prices are down but not that far down and both of these hobbies should be around for a long time. LONG LIVE THE YOUNG PEOPLE.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i am 35 y/o and am going into my 8th year of collecting....i never worked at a gas station or in any petro environment. growing up and having a father who was always working on older cars and going to hershey, carlisle, and englishtown put me in the hobby. today i enjoy the hobby more than ever and look forward to all the events associated with cars and petro...i buy things that i enjoy, and i dont mind paying top dollar for items that i plan on keeping forever.....

anchored by the vast number of coca-cola collectors....i think that advertising collectibles will always have some value, even 200 years from now. we will see in the decades to come if any sectors will be skipped over by their generation. i think that pieces with graphic, art or decorative feel will have an easier time surviving the future markets, no matter what the subject matter.

no matter what happens i will continue to love the hobby no matter wich way it shifts....and hopefully not in the direction of the butterchurn, hairpin, deppression glass, snuff bottles, and inkwells...

toodle doo

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking at the number of younger people in this hobby, I'm only 39, and I see alot younger in here and see more younger people out at auctions and meets when I can get to them.

This stuff is cross-generational unlike butter churns, milk glass, and Hop-a-Long Cassidy. Unfortunatley when the generation who grew up with butter churns and Hop-A-Long no longer collect there really isn't anyone there to pick up where they left off.

Collectibles in this field will continue to rise and keep interest due to popularity acorss the board.

Remember, buy what you love and enjoy the hunt.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved