Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

It has been a long, cold, crappy, busy, winter here in Michigan! We apoligize for the the break in the action with Globe of the Month, but we are back on track and ready to go! This Month we are going to look at plastic body globes, more commonly called Capco body globes since virtually all of them were made by the Cinncinatti Advertising Products Company.

Plastic bodies were patented back in 1932 but were only used by a few companies in the 1930s. By the 1950s virtually all companies that used globes had switched to the Capco body style with many of these companies using them into the 1960s and even into the early 1970s.

There were a number of different color Capco bodies used but probably 95% of them were white. Pictured here is an experimental Mobil dual grade pump globe on an original white Capco body.

I know that there are hundreds if not thousands of diferent Capco body globes in Oldgas members collections. Lets see 'em!!!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5168.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
1 member likes this: Mamakat
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here a couple of nice complete ones on original colored bodies. Martin is new old stock.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Learn a new thing every day...I would never have thought that they (plastic bodies) were in use so long.

CHEERS, FROM RIK IN NEW ZEALAND
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice in the pic globe body on the right is the early style. Many people think plastic bodies are the later globes or even repop. I have had many people say... oh that's plastic so it's a repop.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
HERE ARE A FEW CAPCO BODY GLOBES FROM MY GLOBE SHELF.

MVC-004S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG MVC-006S.JPG MVC-008S.JPG
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
A FEW MORE

MVC-009S.JPG MVC-010S.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
VERY small company from south Mississippi. I'm guessing 50's since I never saw one until a few months ago when I aquired this one. Only one other known to exist, but you know how that goes. smile

By daverichey

By daverichey

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
here is my favorite capco its a super a that was a new discovery last year. i have never seen another one like it

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks to everyone who has shown their globes, lets see some more!

Here are a couple Johnson capco globes, the Winged 70 version is very uncommon. Note that these globes are on early "off white" colored bodies.

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_0246_12_1.jpg IMG_0271_28_1.jpg
Last edited by olddutchgas; Sun Feb 22 2009 10:26 AM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
here is my Frontier

frontier globe 2.jpg

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of Bay globes I used to have.

bay and bay bronze.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Husky Globe

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One of my favorites

husky globe.jpg
Husky Globe

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

Great photos! I know there are lots of Capco body globes out there in your collections. Why not take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the Oldgas community!

I received a question from one of our Oldgas members about the two different Conoco triangle globes that have been pictured. If you look at the one Jarvis posted you will see that the red triangle has a green outline and the lense also has the words "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." and "Manufactured in U.S.A.". This was Conoco's first Capco globe and dates back to the early 30s and the beginning of the Capco body. Conoco used this logo until 1950 and then switched to the red triangle logo with out the words or the green outline on the lense like the one Mark Smith shared with us. Conoco used this image throughout the 50s and 60s.

A side note on the Conoco globes, you will see that each of them are on a original green Capco body. Conoco used the "medium" green body as well as the "blueish/green" body on their early Capco globes. The later red triangle version turns up with either red or the blueish/green bodies.

The Show & Auction in Peotone, Illinois is this weekend. Next week we will look at the different color Capco bodies that were used. In the meantime - Post them if you have them!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a few more I've had over the years.

marathon globes.JPG misc globes for sale #1.JPG MVC-054F.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few more capco globes I've had.
Many people think that collecting globes is expensive. Often times it is an expensive hobby, but it doesn't have to be. The globes I've posted were very affordable. A group of five or ten cheap common globes can still make an impressive display.

MVC-718F.JPG MVC-719F.JPG sinclair dino & dino supreme.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for all the posts so far!

Bob made a valid point by posting photos of a bunch of entry level globes. It does not take a lot of money to put a good looking group of globes togather. If you put 15 globes at an average cost of say $200 togather it will look pretty impressive. Do that over a period of a few years and most collectors could do that without depriving their family or ending up in divorce court!

The Dino globes that Bob posted are classic examples of neat globes that can be bought at reasonable prices. The second globe I ever purchased was a Dino Supreme and I still have one in my collection. You often see people ask $250-300 for this globe. I can personally guarantee that you will be able to pick up a Dino globe for as little as $175 at the Peotone Show if you are looking for one!

While not a Dino globe per se, the Sinclair Power-X with the Dino logo that is pictured here is an interesting transitional piece that Sinclair used in the late 50s and is one that is not offered for sale very often.

If you have ANY Capco body globes in your collection why not take a few minutes this weekend and share them with the rest of the Oldgas community. Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5203.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a few more. The new yellow body really looks sharp with the Deep Rock lenses.

DSC04550.JPG DSC04552.JPG

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Here are some of my first globes. My brother found the Ashland at a local Lion's Club rummage auction for $3.00!! They turn up ocassionally in weird places. Keep your eyes open for rummage sales where folks donate stuff that's just in their way!

005.JPG
My first capcos.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gotta love a globe with lightning bolts and speed lines.

DSC03069.JPG
Last edited by Lastgas15; Thu Feb 26 2009 06:43 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lonnie, would you explain the difference between the two Conoco globes. I presume both versions are real. Thanks. John

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
ALSO HAVE THIS VICTORIA OVAL SHAPE PLASTIC BODY GLOBE.WERE THESE OVALS PRODUCED BY CAPCO?

MVC-007S.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John,
This is the later version that Lonnie mentioned. This is the version thats found on the blue-green, red or white bodies.
There are actually two non-outlined versions. If I remember correctly the difference is in the Conoco lettering.
Bob

conoconooutline.jpg
Last edited by Lastgas15; Thu Feb 26 2009 09:30 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah, and we know all about the two different letterings on those Conoco globes, right Bob? Thanks to your wife...Haha!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tara Worsham
Yeah, and we know all about the two different letterings on those Conoco globes, right Bob? Thanks to your wife...Haha!

Yeah, she's a real trouble maker. Does Wes still have both globes? Maybe you could persuade him to post a picture of the two side by side.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Of course we have both! They're different, ya know! I'll see if I can get him to post a picture. I'm not totally sure where they both are right now. We'll have to dig them out...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is kind of a fun post for me because I just happen to be lucky enough to own 2 Texaco, Capco bodied globes that were actually ON THE PUMPS at my local Texaco station back in the day! I actually viewed these globes on the pumps as a young man and of course, never thought anything of them!
Last spring, an older gentleman that had once owned the station, told me a story about some globes in his basement, that were the actual globes from his old station! After a period of time, I was able to purchase them and I guess they'll always be here now! Enjoy the thread--its a good one!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As was mentioned previously, I have a couple of Conoco globes here that show the two different red triangle logos that I'm aware of so far. Bob's wife Karen was kind enough to point this out, preventing me from having to sell one of the pairs of lenses, since they aren't duplicates!

Note the difference in the size of the bar and Conoco letters:

Both of these globes are in original bodies of the original colors. The white one is all original, and the red one had it's body replaced, but did indeed come in a red body originally (it was broken).

Wes

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am not an avid globe collector, but I do buy one once in a while and just bought this one friday at the Peotone auction. Lonnie made an excellent point, that there are a lot of nice entry level globes to be had, at affordable prices. This globe was $200.00, the lenses were in great shape and no chips. The Capco, body was really dirty but not broken any place. It was weathered, but it adds to the character of the globe. Glad to share it. Norm Huff.

Norm Huff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice buy Norm! Those lenses look really clean!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1 of my 1st globes & the only Capco I kept [our 1st Pug was named SPUNKY].

On original Red body.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Dino and Dino Supreme globes were already pictured. Here are a couple more beginner/ affordable Sinclair globes. A Sinclair Diesel. There are at least three different versions of this one.

There are also three Power X globes;

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys & Gals!

Here are a few Capco body globe photos from the Peotone Show. The "flat top" Imperial Shield globe sold at Matthews Auction on Friday. It is actualy an uncommon globe and was used by Imperial Refineries out of Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I picked it up for a very reasonable bid of $175 and will add it to my Michigan Company display.

Next to the Imperial is an Oco Pep Regular globe that sold for somewhat more than the Imperial! A rare globe, in fact the only Regular that I have ever seen. Noted globe collector Bob Drake snagged it. Oco Pep was out of Bloomington, Illinois I believe and from Bob's back yard. Great purchase!

Also on the Auction was the Bay with the "Bullseye". This globe was used by Bay Petroleum out of Saginaw, Michigan. Uncommon piece and one that is seldom offered for sale.

And last is an uncommon pair of Amlico globes that were offered at the Show. Amilico was a small Texas Marketer that later became part of Fina. One was a single lens, the other had some staining to the back lense and the asking price on the pair was $500. Not an outrageous sum of money if you collect small brand Texas globes.

Take a few minutes and share your Capco globe photos with the Oldgas community. With the new format, pictures are so easy to load that even I can do it!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5207.JPG IMG_5205.JPG IMG_5214.JPG
Last edited by olddutchgas; Wed Mar 04 2009 06:11 PM.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Virtualy every state had a number of small regional gasoline marketers. I high-lighted a couple small Michigan Company globes last night.

Another small Michigan marketer was the Roosevelt Oil Company which was out of Mount Pleasant, Michigan (along with quite a number of other companies). In the early days of the company they marketed under the Roosevelt name and under the ROC brand. After World War II they switched to the Power Flight and Super Flight Ehtyl globes and they used these until 1955 when they were bought out by Leonard.

Why not take a few minutes tonight or this weekend and share some Capco body globes from your home state? Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5234.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really like those Roosevelt globes!

Here are a few Illinois globes from my collection.

fs.jpg.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing those two uncommon Illinois globes Bob! Lets see some more capco bodied globes from collections and states from other parts of the country and world!

Here is another uncommon capco bodied globe, an Old Dutch with the windmill from Old Dutch Refining of Muskegon, MI.

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_1026_17_1_1.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a two uncommon capco bodied globes for you guys and gals down south! We have only ever seen a couple lenses of the one with the small hand logo.

Lets see some more globes! If you feel more comfortable emailing us the photos instead of posting them yourself, please do!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_0261_23_1.jpg IMG_0263_25_1.jpg

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member

Phillips Ethyl on Capco.This came from Harlan Iowa about 30 years ago.

Frank Jordan
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couple more of my capco globes.

New State i know nothing about but liked the look.

This is a globe that i looked for about maybe a year.

Bought this one from Bill Fortune here on the site... one of my favs!

I will pass on some good info here:
I don't collect because of how much money it's going to be worth later. All of the globes i have in my collection i bought because i love the way they look. Don't pass on $100 or $200 globes just because someone tells you they won't go up in value very fast. You will pass on some very nice globes.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here are the Capco globes in my collection smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
couple more.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Here is one I found years ago. It is an old decal over a dino globe lens. The other side is Pennant. The old dealer sold it to me some 15 - 20 years ago.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looking good so far, Thanks to everyone who took time to post. If you have ANY capco body globes why not take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the oldgas community.

Here is a photo of an uncommon Johnson Winged 70 globe that I recently had a chance to photograph. Note the shield logo with white area around it. Most Johnson globes are orange and black all the way to the outer edge of the lense. Johnson is definately one of the more popular small brand companies that collectors are actively looking for. If you check the first page of this post you see a couple of other Johnson globes on capco.

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5285.JPG

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are my capco globes....Dale

MVC-001S.JPG MVC-002S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A lot of our capco globes have already been pictured so far, but here are a few that haven't...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looking good so far guys and gals, lets keep them coming! Later this week I will get some photos up of the different colored capco bodies. Thanks for the posts so far!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are some uncommon capco globes.
This Rock Island is an unusual color, and the body is an unusual color. I think a Frontier like this has been posted. Its a great looking globe and the most common globe in this group. One of my favorites is this Bell Ethyl on orange capco. The UTOCO is extremely rare and obviously a Standard affiliate. The (Stoll) Golden Tip is another favorite of mine.

DSC04907.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a few more uncommon capco globes from my collection.
The Sinclair Marine with Sinclair in italics is the rarer later version.
The Pep 88 is from Utah Oil Refining Company (UTOCO)and is scarce as hens teeth.

DSC04906.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not a Globe Collector but I have these 3 Globes from a Company that I collect.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
S
S
Originally Posted By: olddutchgas
Hi Guys & Gals!

Here are a few Capco body globe photos from the Peotone Show. The "flat top" Imperial Shield globe sold at Matthews Auction on Friday. It is actualy an uncommon globe and was used by Imperial Refineries out of Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I picked it up for a very reasonable bid of $175 and will add it to my Michigan Company display.

Next to the Imperial is an Oco Pep Regular globe that sold for somewhat more than the Imperial! A rare globe, in fact the only Regular that I have ever seen. Noted globe collector Bob Drake snagged it. Oco Pep was out of Bloomington, Illinois I believe and from Bob's back yard. Great purchase!

Also on the Auction was the Bay with the "Bullseye". This globe was used by Bay Petroleum out of Saginaw, Michigan. Uncommon piece and one that is seldom offered for sale.

And last is an uncommon pair of Amlico globes that were offered at the Show. Amilico was a small Texas Marketer that later became part of Fina. One was a single lens, the other had some staining to the back lense and the asking price on the pair was $500. Not an outrageous sum of money if you collect small brand Texas globes.

Take a few minutes and share your Capco globe photos with the Oldgas community. With the new format, pictures are so easy to load that even I can do it!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

I love those small Michigan company globes! I was born and raised in Saginaw but never heard of Bay Petroleum before. Do you have any other info or items from them?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: olddutchgas
Hi Guys & Gals!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Imperial Refineries is out of Clayton, Missouri. The Imperial Globe in your picture is from a different company out of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan and is part of the Johnson Oil Company. Although the Globes do resemble each other they are from Different company's. I am suprised that there were not any Copy Right infringements between the 2 company's.

Here is a Imperial Refineries Globe.

And this Imperial out of Mt Pleasant, Michigan part of the Johnson Oil Company.

Imp. Johnson Globe...jpg

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lets see some more capco body globes! Doesn't matter how common or rare they are.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob,
I am all CAPcoED out. LOL I don't think i have any left to post. Come on guys... lets see those capco's!

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Here are some Capcos in my collection. All bodies are originals.

Last edited by wfort39663; Wed Mar 25 2009 12:19 PM.

Bill Fortune
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Very nice Bill smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
those are nice bill very nice

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great globes Bill.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This one isn't a gas pump globe. Travelers Aid is an orginization that assisted stranded travelers. I believe they are still in existance primarily helping battered women. Back in the day their globes could be seen at airports, train stations, and at the YWCA among other places.

travelersaid  capco.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is one thats on my wish list.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Thu Mar 26 2009 10:25 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Uncommon Mobil diesel globe.

MVC-200F.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

Just a short follow up on some of the questions that have been raised. I know very little about the Michigan Bay Petroleum. The globe book says that they were a refining and marketing division of Dow Chemical out of Bay City, Michigan. I have seen very few Bay items ofer the years. The globe on the auction was maybe the 3rd or 4th one I had ever seen. I have seen a map, a small plastic tanker ship similar to the ones Texaco gave out except that it had Bay decals, and I have seen a 6' station sign with the same logo as the globe. That is the total number of Bay items that I have seen over the years.

As far as the similarity of the "Michigan" Imperial globe to the globes that Imperial Refineries out of Missouri used, according to the globe book, Johnson Oil Company was a jobber for the "Missouri" Imperial Refineries when they marketed in Michigan. When the "Missouri" Imperial Refineries pulled out of Michigan I would assume Johnson Oil Company reached some aggreement with them to continue to use the Imperial name and a similar logo. That is all I know. Hopefully what I just wrote here makes sense!

I will try to get some more Capco globe photos up later this afternoon. Anyone else with Capco globes plaese feel free to share them here. Thanks for all the posts so far!

Lonnie Hop

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are two varieties of capco globe bodies. The red one on the right is a "normal" size one. 99.9% of plastic globe bodies are this size. It measures just a hair over 4 inches from front to back and it has Capolite 216 molded into the side of the body just above the base.

The blue one on the left is one of the first capco bodies made and is noticebly larger then the red one. It measures over 5 inches from front to back and it has just the word Capcolite molded into the lower side of the body with no numbers.

The "fat" bodies turn up occasionally in an off white color. Early Phillips globes turn up from time to time on white "fat" bodies. I have also seen a couple of orange and about a half a dozen blue "fat" bodies. I have never seen "fat" bodies in any of the other colors, but I do believe they exist.

The Black Gold MoPowr Gasoline is believed to be a Texas Marketer, but I don't know anything about the company. Coastal was a Mobile, Alabama marketer and their globes are popular and fairly easy to find.

That's all for now, lets see some more globes!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5321.JPG

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A few more details on Bay Refining Co. of Michigan are that they were bought out by Dow Chemical in 1956. Dow used the slogan "Dow know how in every drop". Dow shut the refinery down in 1980 but the brand was still marketed well into the 1990's by Spartan Oil of Lansing. Most Michigan refineries started in late 1920's to early 1930's.
Johnson Oil was the state distributor for Imperial in Michigan according to a map I have. Johnson still had Imperial stations until just a few years ago. "Next Door" is there C store name.

Last edited by Dave Rowlison; Sun Mar 29 2009 07:14 AM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great photos so far, lets keep them coming! I will go to the the photo books next week and hopefully post a bunch of photos. If you have ANY capco globes in your collection why not take a few minutes to share them here. Thanks!

Here are a few different Rock Island globes. The one in the center with the early "Rock of Gibralter" is the only one that I have seen. The later style of the rock actually comes in a number of different colors.

Rock Island was an Indianapolis, Indiana marketer that was bought out by Marathon.

IMG_5375.JPG

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Lonnie,
I also have the center Rock Island "Rock of Gilbarter " lens and I believe it was from the time period they were in Oklahoma in the 30's
Maurice

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved