Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
What is the best way to remove rust stains from a porcelain sign?
Thank you
Bob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I use OOOO steel wool and cleaner wax. Sometimes rubbing compound. If you have stains that are etched in, it's a different deal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have used a "bathroom cleanser" ment for porcelain. I use a soft bronze (toothbrush) wirebrush and lots of clean water, drying immediately. Wax afterwards.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I have tried rubbing compound but it does seem that some stains are etched in the porcelain.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use a metal etch/cleaner and fine steel wool. It does not hurt the porcelain and bleaches out the rust stains.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I don't know how big of a sign you're talking about, but I'll share a little trick I use during pump restorations for the porcelain faceplates. I soak them in water that has Iron Out mixed in it...Iron Out is a cleaning product. It does very well on rust and even gets the rust from the spider cracking that sometimes occurs in the porcelain and is hard to get out w/steel wool or rubbing compound. I also use S.O.S. pads which work well. Good luck!

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I use to use rubbing compound but that seemed to dull the finish afterwards. Lately I have been using bug and tar remover from turtle wax and puttung it on one of those scrubbing pads you can attach to your drill and it has worked better than any other method I have tried and gives the porcelain a nice sheen and then apply a coat of car wax looks great afterwards.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bar Keepers Friend & Zud are both cleansers for porcelain sinks & work great on signs......you can find them at any drug store or walmart etc.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I'll second barkeepers friend. Just don't let it sit on too long or it can dull the finish. Work into a paste with some water,let sit 2-3 minutes then rub with 0000 steel wool. I got some etched in water staining out the other day in a couple minutes with some.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Meguiars Medium-Cut Cleaner and a rag does the trick for me...Ray Seider came into the auction this weekend and didn't recognize some of the signs he had consigned! We clean every sign in the auction just to make sure they have their "best face" on. He asked me what I used to make his stuff look so good but I never got the chance to show him....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My wife just found Bar Keepers Friend in a liquid.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After the stains are taken care of I use Howards feed and wax which polishes up porcelain good

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved