Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139600 Sun May 03 2009 06:40 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
As I will soon be rearranging my signs and do not collect any specific one company, I was wondering what looks best. Similar company signs grouped all together or signs randomly placed and mismatched?
Here are images of two walls. One mostly Texaco and the other mismatched, including a couple of larger Texaco's.
Any opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.

DSCF2518_edited.jpg DSCF2519_edited[1].JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It might look nice to have all of the larger signs at the bottom, and have them get smaller as you move up the wall. The signs could still be grouped by company as well. Just a thought...

Wes

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I personnaly like the more ordered random look. Kind of like puzzle pieces loosely fitted together or a collage. The top picture is too well organized. You don't feel compelled to stay and look because there is too much similarity. I think small groups of 2-3 similar or grouped within the larger scope, similar to what you have above the shelf of cans, have better appeal. JMO of course and I think in the end you'll have to play around with ideas and see what works for your eye. You're the one who is going to be looking at it the most!!

........Dave
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Wes, I assume you picked pic #1. FYI...I have 90% of the larger signs on the bottom. Originaly, not for eye appeal but because I'm lazy. LOL
Thanks Dave for your input.

All opinions are welcomes. Score now is 1 to 1. Thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm in with Dave on this. A random placing of the signs, would keep the eyes moving. JMO.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For those that have seen the photos of my collection, they know I employ the "shotgun" approach to displaying. So maybe I shouldn't be giving my opinion? But Gary you "screwed up" and asked for it, so here goes. I like the random approach, as your bottom photo shows(IMO). To me, too often many nice collections(and all collections are nice) look like they are in museums and I shouldn't get close to or interact with. I get a real "kick" out of displays that make me feel as if I'm in an old service/gas station looking at the varied displays on the walls. For the most part they were random(atleast the one's I worked in and visited as a kid). As a kid, the new "shiny" stations of the early 60's didn't have the "atmosphere" of an old "beatup" station. I guess I have never gotten over that. I like to hunt and find an unexpected "treasure" tucked away in a corner or among other items. But, Gary the "bottomline" is just as Dave said. Set it up the way YOU like it, for you will be the one looking at it the most. Thanks for sharing! bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I like the random approach. I also feel that the red walls make all the texaco signs disappear.

G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Thanks guys. Bob, one NEVER "screws up" asking for opinions on this site. Knowledge and value is always gained. Thanks again and (going by pic #1 & #2, score is 1 to 4.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like Wes' idea of big signs on the bottom, smaller signs on top, grouped by company. Reason being if you spread out similar signs throughout the building you won't notice the subtle differences between them. In that case you might as well only have one Sky Chief sign. If you just collected signs from any company it might be different. But you collect signs from specific companies.
How about this approach:
For companies that you have several signs from, display them in groups. Use the areas between the company groups to display signs from companies that you only have one or a few of.
Most importantly you shouldn't display any Sinclair, Phillips, Gulf, or Stanocola signs. You should send those to me.
If you want to see a well thought out display search the showcase forum for pictures of Bill Fortune's display.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO
Contrast in colors is important....
That wall ( to me ) is sucking the life out of your display.
I would think a more neutral color would be better.......
Something that is not in your signage.

You may be surprised what a professional interior decorator might be able to come up with. After all you do have a valuable collection there. Why not pay someone to arrange it?

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found it Bob. Bill did a great job and have seen it personaly.
Bills out standing collection again

His killer globes shelf

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like all collections but as far as the two pictures you have posted I tend to look more at #2. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bruzer75
I like all collections but as far as the two pictures you have posted I tend to look more at #2. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Mike

Me too. Thats because pic. #2 has the Sinclair signs.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gary, How are the globe shelves now?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
I found it Bob. Bill did a great job and have seen it personaly.
Bills out standing collection again

His killer globes shelf

Thanks for posting the links John. Whether Bill's pictures affect Gary's decision or not, they are certainly worth looking at again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved