Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
mapper Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I've been doing some research on this topic the past few months. Here is what i've come up with.

1906: Luke and John Hancock create the Pure Oil of Minneapolis
1920: Pure Oil of Minneapolis is sold to the well known Pure Oil Company. Luke Hancock continues to work for Pure Oil.
1924: John Hancock creates the John Hancock Oil Company.
Oct, 1929: John Hancock Oil Company is sold to Phillips. The sale involves 15 bulk plants and 51 stations.
Nov 2, 1929: After a two year illness, John Hancock dies.

Here is more information I was able to gather, but haven't been able to nail down dates:
- John Hancock did indeed found both the John Hancock Oil Company AND the Yale Oil Corp. He founded Yale along with Phil Fortin.
- I was able to date the Litening map which lists both Yale and John Hancock Oil from 1927. Based on the site: http://www.montanapioneerandclassicautoclub.org/oil/montanaoil.html, it lists Litening as having its beginnings in 1928. I'll have to ask Joe Ashley about this if I see him at Iowa Oil.

Most of my information is from obituaries from Luke and John Hancock, and John Hancock's widow, Bessie Hancock, who died in Montana in 1967. My guess is that John Hancock formed two different corporations, but utilized the same logos for the oil cans and gasoline. Yale Oil might have supplied the oil for the John Hancock Oil Company. After Mr. Hancock developed his illness, he probably sold out to Phillips, knowing he might not live too long. His ownership in Yale was at the very least transferrred to his children. I know from one article that his son Warren owned stock in Yale, as well as helped run the company prior to its sale to Carter in 1943.

As Yale contintued to use the Litening logo and name after John Hancock's sale to Phillips leads me to believe that either Yale had ownership of it from the beginning, or they bought the rights prior to the Phillips sale. Since there is clear crossover between the two companies prior to the sale, my guess is that the possible Yale ownership was in name only; the John Hancock Oil Company marketed Litening as if it was its own, since it really had the same owner anyways.

Alan

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great cans. Here are my Litening MBC's.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was wondering if this Lightning Gasoline Company was related to the Litening company above...the lightning bolt looks similar.I would guess my sign to date from the early 1920's... I bought it many years ago & i believe the person i bought from said it was from Montana....Its 2 sided & approx. 32'' tall......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Years ago a stack of those signs were found in a SUNSET Bulk Plant in Ventura, Ca. I found 1 under the dock in BAD condition [another item I wonder why I keep it !].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do not believe they are assoicated with Litening. There was aLitening bug spray item at a recent auction I was at and the folks there said it was quite scarce.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Years ago a stack of those signs were found in a SUNSET Bulk Plant in Ventura, Ca. I found 1 under the dock in BAD condition [another item I wonder why I keep it !]."

db...you have to be kidding , right??? after all that talk of theft & trespassing & you found yours under a bulk plant???

"[another item I wonder why I keep it !]."

why, is the sign worthless??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
almost

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great research and findings, I really enjoy the history here!

Scott Wright
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved