Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146030 Tue Jul 21 2009 09:21 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
All of you collectors, hello, I think I am about to venture out into the yonderous wild blue beauty of this Great Country.... and do something that I have wanted to do my whole life - I "think-thought" I have decided to take the cross-country road trip that I have always dreamed of. I am probably not going to attempt it at the best time of the year, January-February, but that will be part of the challenge. I am going, just me and my dog Vala. Vala is the world's smartest, slickest, prettiest, and most adorably cute dachshund of all time. She will be my side, front, and back kick companion. I am writing this post for several reasons. I want to document my trip and hopefully post many tales and pictures of fellow OldGassers that may lend a yard or garage for a nights stay. I plan to take "mobil" accommodations so as to camp at least half the time either at a camp ground or at an Oldgassers yard or driveway. I will have a long drop-cord for power supply to heat my motor vessel via electric heater, and will shower a few times a week at hotels. But, to see and meet other collectors would be extremely cool, and would make the trip all the more enjoyable. I also feel meeting destination spots along the way, would give regiment and structure to the trip, so that I don't get road ravelled. So basically, from NC to Alaska, and back, in about 7 weeks give or take. I am writing to see if I can rally any support, criticism, input, or feedback. I seriously would like to see if any of you guys would really let me stay on your property..... I ask this for safety reasons as well as to save a little money, and to meet and see some great collections, and also possibly buy a cool piece or two. Some of you guys know me as BBQ Chicken here on the east coast. My name is Dave Hathaway. Any response "weather" it supportive or enlightening would be greatly appreciated. I plan to call this journey "Trippin' On Gas". And I do plan on documenting it fully. Weather does concern me; going that far into BC and Canadian territory is something that I am unfamiliar with. What do you guys think about trying to drive to Alaska that time of year? Crazy? ....or just a challenge? I am ready to hear your thoughts. Dave

Last edited by BBQ Chicken; Tue Jul 21 2009 09:32 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
BBQ Chicken #146032 Tue Jul 21 2009 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave,
GO FOR IT ! Of course I'm biased....I was a full time RVer for 5 1/2 years. I love road trips. If you find yourself on Hwy. 1 in northern California you're more than welcome to camp in my driveway for a night or 2. If that doesn't work you can always camp out in our church parking lot. It sits up on a hill overlooking the ocean. It has a million dollar view.

On the downside I think there is only one oldgasser in the whole state of Alaska.

P.S. Say "Hi" to Sarah for me !

Scott Baselt #146034 Tue Jul 21 2009 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Driving the AL-CAN during the winter doesn't sound like too much fun to me. But if you do make the trip I'm just off I-5, 45 miles up the highway from the OR/WA state border. Stop by and you can "setup shop" in my driveway.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #146036 Tue Jul 21 2009 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Driving to Alaska in the dead of winter pulling a camper .... hmm..Not sure about that one.

If you make it through northern Ohio I'm a short drive from the turnpike and you would be quite welcome here.

Bob Richards #146037 Tue Jul 21 2009 10:31 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Before I start, please remember to bring your camera. Take pictures, and if you need a website to post them on, let me know, you can use mine. Also, please make sure you get a picture of everyone you visit.

This is so great, how about suggestions on what you should call this adventure?

Now forget about the Al-can, he needs our help just getting out of N.C. If you are heading this way depending on your directions, I will offer my driveway and a long extension cord here in St. Louis. Sorry, I live in a very small house. I would like you to see the largest collection of gas pump literature. Just a short trip from where I live is the largest Oil Bottle collection.

I just turned 74 and I wish I was the one who was making this trip, remember, pictures, pictures and keep in touch with us.

If you want, email me the pictures, I'll post them on the web and let everyone know where you are.

Good luck,

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Jul 21 2009 10:37 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #146043 Wed Jul 22 2009 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THE ROUTE 66 TRIP. BUT POSSIBLY DOING IT BACKWARDS AND STARTING IN L.A. AND HEADING EAST/N.E.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Dave, The trip sounds great, but not in Winter. I've driven it twice in April, several years apart. It was a challenge then. Remind me at Chip's and I'll fill you in, if you'd like? Paul

Last edited by gasmansgp; Wed Jul 22 2009 04:48 AM.
gasmansgp #146046 Wed Jul 22 2009 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like a fun idea. The going will be rough that time of year, even through Illinois. Seems like May might be better, especially once you get up into the Rockies and further up into Canada. Whenever you take the trip, feel free to stay in our driveway, just off old US 36 in the center of Illinois.

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i've got a bed & shower here in Mpls. Mn for you however will be gone golfing in Tucson for 10 days in January & gone in February for a week golfing in Florida....
There is also a Gas show in Columbia Mo. that i usually attend & you may want to consider stopping @ this very good show.....
I have made many trips east,west,north & south including many on route 66, lincoln highway & many other great routes...My 2004 Van now has 201,000 miles.....I need a rest & now off to the course, lol........

roadrelics #146050 Wed Jul 22 2009 05:36 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ain't no way I would do that in those months. Those mountains are biggies brother and it ain't no super highway. Bring a big snow shovel and some tire chains. The guys in Canada and Alaska can advise you better. It's a great trip but May-June is more to my liking. I'm in northern Wis on hwy 8,stop by.

Terry Flannery #146051 Wed Jul 22 2009 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sounds like a ball, and looking forward to seeing your travels! always a little extra room in antioch,il!!!!mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #146060 Wed Jul 22 2009 06:49 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Dave, i'm in Virginia beach and don't think you'll be too tired just out of your state, but your always welcome! Chuck

chuck harders #146067 Wed Jul 22 2009 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You have to stop by here. When the electricians wired my shop I had them put RV plugs on both sides of the shop for this very purpose. So friends could drive in and plug right into power. There is also a bedroom and bathroom in the house if needed. Completely fenced yard so Vala has a safe place to explore.
Exit 55 on I-5. There is the Rogue River for fishing, Crater Lake and the Oregon Caves are nearby.
Mike

bruzer75 #146072 Wed Jul 22 2009 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are in the Sacramento Ca. area I am off U.S. 50 about 25 miles east of Sac. on the way to Lake Tahoe.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
MATT ALVAREZ #146083 Wed Jul 22 2009 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Think you better plan on being gone for 2 years, if your wanting to rest along the way

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved