Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146164 Wed Jul 22 2009 08:28 PM
OP Offline
I'm looking for information on the Bennett model 1500 gas pump. I think I just bought one? I can post pictures of the pump after 7/23/09. It does not include a nozzle or hose, but is in good condition other than that. It has a small selector dial for gallons and a handle that cranks until a rod comes up and touches the dial limiter. There is a small chicken wire enforced glass viewer at the top. It stands approximately 6 feet tall. I will post with more detailed information when I get a closer look at the attached model plates when I get it home. Anyone have pictures of what it should look like when complete? Where these were used and year of manufacture would be helpful. All information is appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First of all, welcome to Oldgas. What you have, is a mid 20's commercial pump. As far as what it looked like when complete? Probably just painted red. Though you might want to dress it up a bit with a nice finish on the wood knob, and by polishing any brass, that it might have. Be sure to post some pics here when you get it.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Go to my website: www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Go the the GAS PUMP LITERATURE SECTION

Click on Bennett, then click on 1500.

This will tell you if this is the pump you have.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
OP Offline
Quote:
First of all, welcome to Oldgas. What you have, is a mid 20's commercial pump. As far as what it looked like when complete? Probably just painted red. Though you might want to dress it up a bit with a nice finish on the wood knob, and by polishing any brass, that it might have. Be sure to post some pics here when you get it.

Thank you! The information will get me going in the right direction. I will post pictures when I get the pump home.

Quote:
Go to my website: www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Go the the GAS PUMP LITERATURE SECTION

Click on Bennett, then click on 1500.

This will tell you if this is the pump you have.

Jack Sim

Jack,
I couldn't locate information for the model 1500 on the website. Has it that information been discontinued?

Robert

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked for it also. Has not been listed yet.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Sorry, my mistake. I should have looked, DB is correct, just haven't posted that one. The 1500 came out around 1927, it was made for years. Some people call it a pre-visible, but it was made after the visibles were going out of style.

I do have it pictured in my Gas Pump Identification book on page 51. Commercial pump, original cost was $27.00, and I valued it at $250.00 today (in near 100% completion).

In all of Bennett's literature, the 1500 and the 1000 were advertised together. I have color sales literature, color flyers and a parts list available for this pump.

Send me info from the ID tag and I "might" be able to tell you what year the pump was made.

Vacation time, will be gone for about 12 days, if you email me I will answer when I get back.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a Bennett 1000 which is the 'baby brother' to your pump. This one has never been out of the crate. The meter was an option. Email sent on the parts breakdown.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
OP Offline
Here is more information of my new find. It has a brass plate that reads
Model 1500
Serial 244042
Muskegon, Michigan

The casting numbers are
BP39
CWC-2
5-6

Here are a couple pictures of the Bennett model 1500

It would be nice to see what I'm missing. I can start hunting for the parts needed to complete it. I can see on the back side by the dial, there are a couple of cast tabs? One reads 2 QTS and the other reads 1QT. Any ideas what they are for? Thanks for all your help.

Ron, the crated Bennett is very cool and unique. Whare's the hose and nozzle?

Last edited by krissly1; Thu Jul 23 2009 04:04 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your pump has a 1 gallon capacity, so if you wanted just a qt or 2 you would turn out the correct tab & a rod coming up with the plunger stopped. As your pumping liquid out, more is coming into the cylinder. When pump handle is reversed direction plunger is returned to bottom of cylinder & thru the liquid by way of check valve. Now it's ready to deliver another gallon.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Your pump has a 1 gallon capacity, so if you wanted just a qt or 2 you would turn out the correct tab & a rod coming up with the plunger stopped. As your pumping liquid out, more is coming into the cylinder. When pump handle is reversed direction plunger is returned to bottom of cylinder & thru the liquid by way of check valve. Now it's ready to deliver another gallon.

OK, that makes more sense. What would this be used for? I assumed gasoline because it included a visible glass gauge at the top of the pump. Would there have been a need for dispensing 1 gallon of gas back in the 1930's? Would it be more likely used for oil or maybe kerosene?
Here are more pictures of the upper pump housing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Time for a quick history lesson here. Back in the 20's, and times prior, gasoline quality wasn't very good. Rust, water, and other sediments, were among the various components, in ordinary gasoline. So typicly, gasoline was pumped into a small can, through a filtered funnel. That can, would then be poured into the fuel tank. In just about any picture of a Model T, you will see, the fuel can, on the running board, along with one for oil, and another for water. Fuel tanks were also, much smaller back then. No 50 gallon dual tanks. So pumping a small amount of fuel, was no big deal.

From the photos, it looks like you only need a hose, nozzle, and wooden knob, for the crank handle. I would strip it, prime it, then brush paint it, with a high quality, red paint. I prefer "Rustoleum". As for the hose, I think a cloth covered, white hose would be correct, but I'll let the experts answer that one. I also have a nice, brass nozzle, that would probably be close, if not actually correct, for you pump. You can send me an e-mail, or pm, if you're interested in the nozzle. I would also get a small, oil dispenser, (commonly called a lubester) to set up next to it. It would make a GREAT display, in your den, or game room.

BTW. Has anybody warned you, that these things multiply, faster than rabbits?

Welcome to the madness....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even most visible pumps didn't pump more than 1/2 gallon per stroke of the pump into the cylinder, then it had to be drained into your tank. Most of these type of pumps were used on farms where they didn't need to measure out the gas to fill a tractor.
These types were also cheaper to purchase from the dealer & faster to fill a fuel tank. IF you purchased enough fuel, most dealers would supply a used pump & would up grade as your fuel usage increased with a pump removed from a station that was up graded.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
In addition to being able to pump gasoline, this pump was also used to handle kerosene, fuel oil, diesel oil, naptha and many other similar petroleum products. It was ideal for use on farms, at service stations, boat docks, repair shops and other industrial installations.
An adjutsting screw in the head casting allows limited calibration by changing the travel of the piston.

Standard models were finished in bright red baked enamel, all other colors available on request.

Jack Sim

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Thunder II
Time for a quick history lesson here. Back in the 20's, and times prior, gasoline quality wasn't very good. Rust, water, and other sediments, were among the various components, in ordinary gasoline. So typicly, gasoline was pumped into a small can, through a filtered funnel. That can, would then be poured into the fuel tank. In just about any picture of a Model T, you will see, the fuel can, on the running board, along with one for oil, and another for water. Fuel tanks were also, much smaller back then. No 50 gallon dual tanks. So pumping a small amount of fuel, was no big deal.

From the photos, it looks like you only need a hose, nozzle, and wooden knob, for the crank handle. I would strip it, prime it, then brush paint it, with a high quality, red paint. I prefer "Rustoleum". As for the hose, I think a cloth covered, white hose would be correct, but I'll let the experts answer that one. I also have a nice, brass nozzle, that would probably be close, if not actually correct, for you pump. You can send me an e-mail, or pm, if you're interested in the nozzle. I would also get a small, oil dispenser, (commonly called a lubester) to set up next to it. It would make a GREAT display, in your den, or game room.

BTW. Has anybody warned you, that these things multiply, faster than rabbits?

Welcome to the madness....

I appreciate the history lesson. Very informative.
hehehe, You'll never believe the automobilia that has multiplied over the years. I forgot to post pictures up after my first post here in the forum back in 2007. I still haven't purchased the hose to connect my nozzle to and finish the pump. It's still sitting in my wifes dining room. I have another just like it in the yard. I need doors for that one if anyone has doors for sale. Here are a couple of shots from that project. My National 360

Last edited by krissly1; Thu Jul 23 2009 10:19 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
In addition to being able to pump gasoline, this pump was also used to handle kerosene, fuel oil, diesel oil, naptha and many other similar petroleum products. It was ideal for use on farms, at service stations, boat docks, repair shops and other industrial installations.
An adjutsting screw in the head casting allows limited calibration by changing the travel of the piston.

Standard models were finished in bright red baked enamel, all other colors available on request.

Jack Sim

It's kind of unique in that not many people take the time to restore and display this model. At least I haven't seen any of these in my travels. In the closeup picture in one of my previous posts in this thread, you can see the dial. It is numbered from 0 to 9. I'm not sure how this works. The metering dial turns in one direction, but I don't see how it would change the quantity of fuel. I can turn the handle two full turns before the rod comes up through the base and stops as it contacts the metering dial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved