Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
What percentage of stuff is still out there waiting to be discovered? Im talking about larger items like pumps and big signs. Certainly it hasnt all been discovered but whats left 10%, 20%, more ?? Is there enough left for the hobby to grow???

out

Dan

a can a week is all I ask
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you like plastic I think there's alot out there. If it's cast iron it's all in Wisconsin judging from the pictures that were posted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dan, I am not sure whats left out there. I just spent the last week in Rio Rancho, Albuquerque and Santa Fe (leaving in the morning)and only saw one pump and a Gulf sign while visiting.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
The only thing left in Wis is cheese and of course beer.

D
DP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
It would be hard to put a number on how much stuff has not been discovered.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
There is a similiar question and possibly more applicable.

How much stuff is out there in private collections on behalf of older/pioneer type collectors that is virtually unknown? There are several small/medium/enormous collections that haven't seen the light of day for 15-20+ years. My opinion is these are the "real" finds of the future.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i still see stuff out in wisconsin by our cabin.also guess there are still hundreds of roads across the country that do not get traveled that often.not to mention out of sight stuff that you cant even see from a road.big problem these days is alot of people think they have a goldmine the minute someone comes across it and asks about it.think about mountain rds in kentucky and tenn.(i know phil hasent been on all of em yet)and other remote places.five years ago i found two 5 gallon frys in a junkyard on the side of a mountain.just takes a little more time and gas,but ther is still some great finds out there!!also find lots of cheese and beer when we are at the cabin!

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Fri Jul 24 2009 12:46 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
oldnfuelish,

I think you are correct about the old collections that are rarely seen. A couple of them a year are put out for auction, and I don't really believe the entire collection is auctioned off, just the items they don't want anymore.

When I get back from vacation, I will posting over 150 pictures of a collection that very few people get to see.

As for what is still out there, it is amazing to see all the stuff on the tables at CTO and IG each year. The question is "Is this stuff you have owned for a while or did you find it since the last show?" If any of you are going to IG, how about asking this question of some of the vendors with the nice stuff? It would be interesting to know what you hear.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Even though it is impossible to ever know, I believe OKOIL1 and OLDNFUELISH have summed it up very well. I usually spend my vacation time from work, 1 month + and then some every year on the road to most National Park destinations anywhere in the U.S.A. and even though they are considered vacations I always have petro on the brain and I am always looking for stuff while traveling. In my travels I have met and talked to so many people who have somehting petro, from something as simple as an old art deco style gas station to a collection that would make anyone grin. As far as old stations , the current owner (if found) most always has a story about a guy or two who bought all that "junk" along time ago or some story comparable. As far as collections, I have seen anywhere from a couple of pumps (spotted because the garage door was up,ha ha) to collections I would compare to those featured on this site. And more times than you can imagine the owners either think I am crazy for spotting them or just want to know who it was that told me about their collection (the private type), as anyone one of us would do I always try and see how they got started, most of the time I find that these people just like the stuff and don't even know an actual market/hobby exists. These same people in some cases or locations don't even have computers or if they do they have never bothered to investigate "that stuff". BUT as Mick stated these types usually think they have a gold mine since I am crazy enough to even be there talking about the stuff in the first place, I have also had people refuse any cash and just give me something really cool, possibly felt sorry for me? LOL. My job in the gas business here in Northwestern Pennsylvania keeps me running and as always I am on the lookout for new and undiscovered items. In my opinion there are many items to be discovred in the future and we will never know how much until you get out there and hunt for it and unlike traditional hunting this stuff is usually standing still !!!!! Matt

P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
I'll throw in my two cents. I've made a living of buying and selling (and restoring) gas pumps since I was thirteen years old. It's supported my family, put me through college and now almost all the way through law school. I can honestly say that I have not seen a drop in the amount of stuff I come up with over the last seventeen years. But I WILL say that the way I discover stuff has changed. Whereas it used to be that I could simply drive around and "spot" old pumps on farms, now I have to pull in to the old places and talk with the farmers. I think most of the good gas station stuff you can spot from the road is long gone, with a few exceptions, of course. But the stuff is still out there. This year alone I've drug home 40 gas pumps, 12 signs, and I don't know how many oil bottles/racks/lubesters, etc. And those who have seen what I sell know that I don't deal in common stuff. And almost all of it has been "barn finds." So I guess the long and the short of it is this: there is a TON of stuff still out there, but you have to be willing to shake the trees to get it.

OP Offline
Thanx for the responses , I was just thinking from the new collector point of view. Safe to say all the easy stuff, items visible from roads, are in collections now. Interesting take on the "closet-collectors". Are there any collectors around that started saving this stuff since the 40s or 50s? I know they would be plenty old, any still active?

Cheers

Dan

a can a week is all I ask
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
LOCAL BULK PLANT AUCTION HERE LAST WEEK TURNED UP A LOT OF SIGNS,CANS,PUMPS,POLES,AND MUCH MORE.THE STUFF IS STILL OUT THERE AND STILL WORTH THE THE MONEY IF YOU ARE WILLING AND HAVE THE TIME TO WORK IT.IT IS STILL OUT THERE GANG!HAPPY HUNTING!MARK

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is a very large country as far as area and population. Over the decades, hundredrs if not thousands of companies marketed and sold petroleum products. For a time, stations were as plentiful as anything on the planet. This hobby has really only gained steam in the last 20 years. The law of averages would still have to be in our favor for quite some time.

Getting the word out and being willing to do some homework and get out there and make the contacts is what will produce the goods.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I live in Missouri and try to go on a Saturday road trip every couple of months. The stuff is still out there but like Petropumps says you have to ask. I know where many unrestored original pumps are on farms but I keep getting the dreaded "It's not for sale" or it's awaiting a restoration from it's 80+ year old owner. We all know how those stories go! I try to take my digital camera every time I go hunting. It might not be for sale or is awaiting that "professional" restoration from the good old boy that has it, but pictures last forever.

-Matt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i would say there is %50 left to be discovered if you consider the fact that a lot of it was buried under ground and will be very difficult to find

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved