Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146583 Mon Jul 27 2009 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...a back and forth over an item I was watching on eBay, in case it 'fell through the cracks'...it was listed for $24.99 + 21.15 Priority Mail, and the description said 'No Reserve!', but the auction ended about three hours before it was scheduled to...my messages are in blue, replies from seller are in red:

Hi - Did you end this auction early? I had a bid scheduled and was surprised to see that it had ended before it was scheduled to, especially as it was a 'no reserve' auction. Please advise...

(no response)

Did you end this auction early? I had a bid scheduled, and can't figure why the auction ended before it was scheduled, especially as it was a 'no reserve' auction. Please advise.

(no response)

Hi - What happened with the Texaco sign auction? I've written twice and haven't gotten a reply. I had a bid scheduled and the auction ended ahead of time - this WAS a 'no reserve' auction, so I was wondering why it ended early. I look forward to your reply.

sign is still for sale, what would you offer? Thanks

?? I hope you'll forgive me, but this makes no sense - if the sign is available, why pull it from eBay before the auction has ended?

there is nothing wrong with sign, just thought there was no interest, no bids on item. thanks

O.K., I'm interested. I'll give you $24.99 + 21.15 Priority Mail for the sign...let me know, thanks.

sorry, I can not sell sign for less than I paid. thanks

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SO BEFORE HE GOT ONLY ONE BID AND LOST MONEY, HE PULLED IT. SOME SELLERS HAVE NO PATIENCE!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Here's another one that I find amusing on ebay....starting an item off at $500.00 and advertise it as a 'no reserve' auction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some sellers don't want to take a chance item will be Sniped.
Auctions should end 5 minutes after last bid on final day. Give all snipers a chance to re-bid !

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...patience?...some sellers have no cajones...

...auction was described as 'no reserve', if he didn't want to lose money, he should have listed the item for what he needed to get, or used a reserve...the guy with the $500 'no reserve' auction gets more respect from me than this seller - if he lets his auction run its course...

...snipers are just playing by the rules...if you don't want your bid to be sniped, bid higher...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gulf,
It was the Texaco cardboard sign wasn't it. I did the same thing and was going to bid at the end. I e-mailed him and he told me $100 would buy it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Snipe all you want... if you put a high enough bid either 2 min after it was listed or 3 sec before it ends it's yours. No snipe will win unless it's high enough! LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...yep, that's the one - I think he'd have gotten more than that if he had let it end as scheduled...

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Isn't it all about money ,,,,isn't that why we ALL want to buy low ( snipe) and someday sell high ? Everyone sells someday, whether it's next week or 5 years from now. The guy has the option on Ebay to canel his auction before it's over,, Ebay makes that provision... I saw an auction a week or so ago on a Red Indian globe, it said will not end the auction early, I enquired about it, next day it was gone, ( ended early),,, all it takes is moola $$$$.....The buyer and seller both have options and it should be...( Buyer snipes at the end and the seller ends the auction when he wants at the end.) It's his stuff he is selling, he should have control over it... Just my opinion.... IT'S ALL A GAME !!!!The men play !

Wes.......
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...again - the auction was described as NO RESERVE...in writing, in his description...

...'no reserve' literally means it could sell for the opening bid, if only one bid is received...period...pulling it before the end because it might sell for the opening bid is dishonest...

...there is nothing dishonest about sniping...that's the distinction...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved