Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Got a late start today. Having problems with photobucket, can't get to all of my pictures with out a lot of messing around. Any way here are some more.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
The next pictures are of my pole barn. I only have two signs left on the barn now so it doesn't look like this anymore but I used to have total strangers stop by to take photos and ask about pumps and signs and stuff. Oh the good ol days!!
yes I restored the Massey Harris also. Took two months of non stop work but was the greatest tractor I have ever owned.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I noticed on the Mobil Short 39 that there is no access door below the turnback crank and the lock on the bottom of the door. It looks like a cross between a Tokheim 39 and a Tokheim "Lub-Bar".
What's the story on that pump?

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I wish I could tell you more about it. As you can see the barn is red in that picture so that tells me I owned that pump 11 years ago. I did a real quick paint job on it (that is why it has that cheap looking metal sign) and sold it fast so I could work on the barn and house. Don't even remember who I bought it from just been too darn long sorry.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well happy Friday everyone. This will be the last batch of photos for this post.
I will start a new post on monday so stay tuned. I have another 450 photos of gas and oil stuff from shows, auctions, museums and such that I have taken over the years. I'll break them up over 4 or 5 posts so the whole 450 pics don't take forever to load. Lots of cool stuff to see if you really like to look at gas stuff!! (and I know you do)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Georgetown Rick
I noticed on the Mobil Short 39 that there is no access door below the turnback crank and the lock on the bottom of the door. It looks like a cross between a Tokheim 39 and a Tokheim "Lub-Bar".
What's the story on that pump?

I believe the Tokheim 39's with the lock on the bottom of the Doors, actually had lift off doors similar to a LuBar. Not sure if the Lift off door Tokheim 39 models came without access doors though, but would make sense because you really wouldn't need access from the side if the Doors lift off. Maybe this Style Tokheim 39's were made with Surplus Lubar's that tokheim had left over????

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Here is something a little different. I took an empty Vendo 81 shell and turned it into a display case for the guy who owns it. I think it turned out great but the night that I was finishing it up I had an accident with it and stayed up 24 hours to repaint the door assemble and deliver to the Chicago coin op show. That was a long day!

after the coin op show the owner took this back to his shop. He loved the final result but not where he had put it. So he grabs a dolly and moves it around and while he is moving it the thing falls off of the dolly and damages the door again in damn near the exact same spot I had stayed up 24hrs to fix before. He was sick about it but I took it back and made it look good again. I was soooo glad when that job was done!!!

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
This next batch of photos marks a turning point for me in my life. If there happen to be any young guys or gals reading this pay attention now....DO NOT DO WHAT I DID and burn yourself out on this hobby. I have a full time job that I work at for 45hrs per week. (yes I am grateful every day for it too)
however I spent over 100 hrs in a 3 and a half week period of time, getting this display ready for a customer and burned myself out so bad that I started selling off all of my stuff and was ready to wash my hands of the whole gas and oil hobby.
I took something that I used to do for fun and turned it into a full time job which was no fun at all.
I re did 2 pumps 3 light poles 1 eco air meter 2 paper towel boxes 2 lamp shades 2 arrow signs built from scratch from scrap metal parts and other misc items and was never so happy in my life to be done with it all!
At one point I was going to sell my compressor and spray guns and be done totally. I used to be able to knock out a pump in about 3 weeks. The one I am almost finished with now has taken me 3 months. All of the photos I have posted are no newer than 4 or 5 years because I just have never gotten back into the hobby like I used to. So take it easy in this hobby and in life don't get burned out there is so much to see and do take your time and enjoy it all.....ok how about some more pics?

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
This next pump is the one that I am most proud of. This pump was also owned by Jim white. The pump sat at my house for 3 years waiting for me to get to it. Jim managed to buy new upper sheetmetal for it and I was able to mediablast and save the middle sheetmetal but nobody could duplicate the lower metal. I went to every sheetmetal and welding shop in my area and nobody owned a bead roller device to duplicate the bead at the top and bottom of the lower skins.
I was in a Harbor freight store one day and saw a bead roller machine for 200.00. I bought it and took it to my neighbors welding shop in mason. Together we made lower skins for this pump and I finally got it done.
Jim picked the pump up and took it to a sale in Auburn Indiana. He sold it two days later. I had the thing for 3 years he had it less than a week and it was gone. I was a little sad but still happy to know that somebody liked the pump as much as I did.

I

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well we have reached the end. I finished and sold this pump in 2007. I took 2008 off to work on my house. I still enjoy painting I just don't take on too much at once anymore. This year I have done a complete paint job on a 1994 mustang as well as doing one martin/schwartz model 80 pump. I'll post pics of the finished pump soon. I hope you have enjoyed the pics. It has been fun. If anybody has one of those National Simplex pumps and wants it re done let me know I would love to do another. That was probably the most fun I have ever had doing a pump. Jim gave me freedom to do whatever I wanted to do paint wise because he knew it would be great when it was finished. He is a real good guy to deal with and a good friend.
See ya guys and gals later.

Almost forgot... I re sprayed these light poles in the early spring of this year.

ok now THE END.
THE END.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very nice I'm happy to have seen it. I love the National

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Wow great job on everything!!! smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved