Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#147902 Sun Aug 09 2009 08:20 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Let's all show our appreciation by posting a memorable moment about Chip's show or an experience that you may have had throughout the years.

My collection would not have been possible without the help and knowledge from Chip. If I wanted something, he would go out of his way to find it for me or give me a lead on finding the items I was looking for.

To a very special person that gives it all to the hobby and ask for nothing in return. "THANKS, CHIP".

His show is right around the corner, September 10,11 and 12. Let's all attend, as vendors and collectors. Don't miss it. It will be a lot of fun with all Chip and his family have planned.

Thanks again to Chip, Christy, Hap and Martha for all of your time and endless efforts over the years on putting on
THE BEST GAS AND OIL SHOW.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Larry:
To me, all the Dixie shows have been memorable. I always find some good items there and always sell well, too. I can't wait to see everyone and as you said, thanks go out to each of them. All the Flohe family are very special in my heart.....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This September will be our first time there, we will be staying at one of the cabins. What do we have to look forward to?

Barry
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Larry, I can't believe that it's been twenty years! I've been attending for about 12 years now. Met an awful lot of great folks and got to hug some too! For those of you who do not know Larry personally......he is quite hugable.....this started as a joke and has escalated to a major pass time while there. Anyway, I enjoy the laid back pace. Mountain views are terriffic. Always a good crowd and it makes for a fine mini-vacation. Chip and Happy are class acts.....Christy and Martha certainly have their hands full with those two. Probably my favorite shows of the year. Paul

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I will be there, have not been there since starting my own company. Chip is a great host and look forward to the show. Dan

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I have been to several and it is a great time indeed. My wife was coming down about 4 years ago and her van broke down, had it towed to the motel. Happy sent me to his mechaninc the next morning and repaired it for a very reasonalble price. I too have had great experience and bought/sold stuff myself. Great, laid back show. Everything from beer signs to goats. LOL

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This was the first gas show I had ever attended (went earlier this year to the spring show)...Everyone at the show was super nice and my buddy and I had a great time...most memorable moment was when one of the members here (his picture is shown in the Iowa Gas man of the year plaque photo on the other thread...believe he's from or near Ohio - on right side of photo) showed up with a trailer darn near full of barn hangers...everyone started unloading and "creating stacks" lol...I ended up with quite a few great old oil signs at a great price. We're going to set up this year - currently counting down the days.

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My favorite show(not that I go to all that many), it's so pleasant there in the valley....... great view, great sounds, great anticipation. I look forward to the stay and the surroundings as much as the killer stuff. The beer and chicken tastes extra good at Dixie Gas !!!!!! Can not wait, can not wait !!!!!!! I remember getting there at about 2:00am my first time, and we tried to sleep in the car and we couldn't sleep at all........anticipation..... man it was hard waiting 'till daybreak. It's really kinda magical, like Christmas when your a kid, or your first big hunting trip, fishing trip, that kinda thing. That Chip guy is a real jerk though, mean and rude to everybody - and will buy something out from under you in a quick sniff!!! hee hee! Can't wait!

L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
I just got off of the phone with Chip. He is planning a Vendors Appreciation Supper, consisting of a catfish fry, on Thursday night starting at 5:30 and lasting to 6:30.

He also stated that some of the good ole boys who used to set up and sell there years ago, will be back. With that in mind, there should be lots of good items showing up. In addition to this, there will be app. 15 first time vendors there too.

If you are on the fence as to whether or not you plan to attend, this may persuade you to make up your mind to be there. You won't regret it.

The weather is looking good for the show, maybe a 20% chance of rain, but who knows. Rain or shine...looking forward to being there and having a great time. Thanks everybody, Larry

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I plan being there Wednesday. Just had back surgery Monday, but feeling too good not to make it. See you there...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
This has been always a great show. A few years ago, I had a medical emergency and Chip and his family stored my goods until I could recover enough from my trip to the surgeon in Fla and pick up for the trip north to Wi, We will always consider this a great vacation. People are what makes a show great.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have only missed the fall 2001 show after falling off a ladder and breaking my wrist and shattering my heel. Missing the show hurt worse than the fall and the breaks. Can't say enough good about Chip's family and the laid back atmosphere of the show. Sounds like this year could be the best ever. Looking forward to seeing Paddy and Souperhigh there. Look me up inside the barn. I'm always in the first booth on the left as you enter the barn. Pat
P.S. Many of you have met my youngest daughter(she's 18 now) who watches my booth and sells for me at some of the shows. I brought her to Dixie Gas for her first show when she was three years old. She slept under one of my tables. Man,time flies. That has to be one of my best memories besides all the good buys and friends I've made over the years. Looking forward to seeing old faces and meeting new ones!

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure wish I was going, but I have other plans for me this weekend, I attended this past Springs Dixie Gas and agree with the others about the hospitality at this show, My family and I were treated as family. I asked Chip where I could find some fenders for a early 1960's chevy pick-up, he said "follow me" and after a walk to his shed I had a near mint pair going home with me. I will be going back someday.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
C
C
Pleeeeeeeeeze Don"t show up on Tuesday thinking you can vend. You cant!!!!!!!!! Wednesday is setup day.I won"t be ready any earlier!!!! I have had a lot of complaints from car show guys wanting to buy late on Friday or Saturday and not many vendors being here. The reason Dixie Gas is held on Shades of The Past weekend was to attract buyers other than the vendors swapping with each other. It has been very successful in the past there is no reason ruining a good thing.We are having a Vendor Appreciation Fish Fry Thursday night between 5:30 & 6:30 bring your chair. Thanks Chip and family.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looking forward to getting on the road tomorrow. Love the show and love the scenery.

This is from 2005.

MVC-004F.JPG
Last edited by CircaDesigns; Tue Sep 08 2009 05:49 AM.

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved