Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i picked this 24" porcelain shade up at fall carlisle yesterday and liked the blue color enough to buy it, even though i dont like the top piece of the bracket. i am a little out of my league when it comes to anything to do with gas pumps (as i believe this mounts above a pump on a pole).....my question is, IS it possible to switch the bracket with another one that does not have the top piece with all of the 1/2" condiut holes in it????????? does something exsist????? does someone want to trade one for the one in the picture????? does anyone have one for sale???? any infor would be appreciated.....as i do plan on using this shade on the front of my garage!!!!

thanks to all

blue shade.jpg

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Go to your local hardware store and get some of the little black plastic plugs that are designed to fit in these holes. Most of those types of lights had a top piece designed to accept additional lights that could be directed in order to light up the far reaches of the gas pump island. There were some with no additional holes but the majority had these and a lot of the time, they had the very plugs that I'm talking about installed from the factory and they had to be removed to install additional lighting. When in place, the plugs are almost invisible from your viewing area on the ground and they seal the unit off from the weather! Now go get some plugs!!!----KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Charles, you can surely retro fit if you can find the parts....i would check at an industrial lighting supply....... Menards or Home Depot may possibly have a nice aluminum or metal piece that would also fit.....see you soon.....DT

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO....IF YOU CHECK OUT THE PICS AT CARLISLE I POSTED THERE IS ANOTHER SHADE NEXT TO THE ONE I BOUGHT (THATS THE TOP I WANT). I PLAN ON FABRICATING A NEW BRACKET IF I CANT FIND A SOLUTION AT HERSHEY....THANKS AGAIN

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The screw in plugs that Kevin mentioned will really clean up the looks. Also, two of my shades have the litte knob directly on the top. (you can kinda see it in the picture of the green one you like) This makes it look different then most as most are either plain or full of the extra lights. I could send you a picture of the side view of a knob (I'd have to take the picture first) but someone might have one available on here for you to buy. I think the green shade is like another one I have. The cast metal part is just an add on which was used to support the extra light assembly. Since I do not like the extra lights I took of the cover and low and behold it was pure porcelain underneath. I had a friend machine a knob for that cast piece in case I ever used it, it would match the other knobs on the other light shades. There are a lot of different kinds of light assemblys out there. John

Last edited by Fueluser; Fri Oct 02 2009 04:07 PM. Reason: added sentence
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked at the Carlisle picture you mentioned and I actually have 2 of the light fixtures like the green one in the picture but that top also has a 1/2 inch threaded hole in each side, in order to screw in more light assemblies! Mine happens to have the black plugs screwed into those holes, and like I said, you don't hardly notice them. Mine also have the cute little rounded finial on top and it does sort of clean it up a little! That type of top is a little smaller than yours and not quite so obvious, but if you just get a few plugs for the holes and put the thing together and get it up in the air----you might like it just fine! I really like that rounded top but you don't really notice the top piece anyway, when the light is in place and displayed! Try it!!! You'll like it!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
thanks for all the replies....i will post you pictures of the light after i get it up. i know ill figure something out. thanks again, charles

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Charles, I have restored many of the island lights, as most call them. Should be a porcelain shade and aluminum cap with aluminum harp. If you don't want to add additional fixtures on top of the cap like spot lights, try to get aluminum plugs to fill the holes vs steel. It will make for a better looking finished job. Have fun!!

Mick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved