Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

After being away from Globe of the Month for way to long, it is time to start up again! For this installment we are going to be looking at "Unusual shaped globes." Any globe that is not the traditional shaped Canteen style can be posted in this category. Crowns, Eagles, Shells, ovals, Fishbowl shaped, iregular shaped 1-piece plastics, and many foreign globes will fit here. If you have them post them!

I will start it off with an actual drawing / piece of artwork from Cinnicinati Advertising. The drawing is the actual size of what would become the Aro Motor Fuel lense and shows what color each part of the globe lense would be. If you look at the upper part of the lense on the drawing you can see that it calls for a light blue background. On the lower part of the drawing it says that it was changed from white to light blue on 3-29-61. Obviously both of these colors were used in actual production. These globes were used by the Anderson Refining Company. However, I do not know anything about the company or where they were from.

Why not take a few minutes tonight and share your photos with the Oldgas Community. Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_6016.JPG IMG_6018.JPG IMG_6014.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Im glad this post is back Thanks Lonnie

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One more

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have 4 that i can contribute too.
Phillips 66 Flite Fuel

Regular Phillps 66

Platolene 500

Zephyr High Octane

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My mom and dad photographed this odd ball globe on a vacation last summer.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
P
P
I've always wanted to give Lonnie & Aaron the bird(s), so here it goes..........LOL!!

Richard

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
With friends like Richard ........

Just kidding! Thanks for the post of the Eagles! Richard has an example of each of the three different Eagles pictured. From left to right are the detailed version. the medium detailed one, and the blunt nose Eagle. Eagles were made for 12-13 years and there were a lot of different molds used so there are some other minor variations but these are the three main versions. Somewhere I have a picture of the three different Eagles showing their backside that I took at Iowa Gas a few years ago. When I find it I'll post it. Keep those pictures coming. Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is a picture of the three different Eagles from the backside. The one on the left is the Blunt Nose version. It has the least detail to the feathers and a large rounded blunt nose. It also has higher "shoulders" on his back. The middle Eagle is the medium detailed version. It has more detail than the blunt and has finer features to the feathers. It also has a noticeably shorter base. The one on the right is the detailed Eagle and as you can see the feathers are more raised and there is more detail to the feathers, particularily to the back of his neck. It also has a smaller and more pointed beak.

Keep those photos coming, lets see some Crowns and Shells!

Lonie Hop

IMG_1183.JPG
Last edited by olddutchgas; Wed Oct 14 2009 07:17 AM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
here's a couple of mine...

IMG_0909_1.JPG IMG_0914_1.JPG
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I guess my two crowns are the only contribution I can make to this post. Both are common globes and not in any of the sought after colors, but they were both given to me for free from a local jobber who still had them sitting around.
I would like to see some posts of originals in the hard to find colors. I'm sure we have a few Standard collectors out there who have them!
Thanks,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The Peotone, Illinois Show and Auction is coming up this weekend and there will be some photo ops there of unusual shaped globes. Before I leave I wanted to post this one. I took this photo a number of years ago at old time collector Bruce Bednars house. Check out the Simms cone shaped globe in the lower center of the photo. Simms was a Dallas, Texas Company and I do not know of another company that used anything like it. Keep those photos coming!

Lonnie Hop

IMG_3007.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Forgot these.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few "non-canteen" shaped globes that I got photos of at the Matthews Auction in Peotone last weekend. The raised letter Crowns were used in the 30s and are fairly uncommon. The glass flame shaped globe was actualy used on the top of Standard signs in front of the station. I have photos somewhere of some other colored Crowns that I will dig out this weekend. In the meantime lets see some of your unusual shaped globes. Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

IMG_6067.JPG

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Cool globes. Im not a big crown fan but I do like the lettered ones for some reason. Keep em coming smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Gold & Blue Crowns

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved