Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I once suggested to Kyle Moore that he needs to put his globe/sign/pump knowledge in a book.
His response was;
It would take 2 yrs away from what I like doing, looking for this stuff. Money is made in publishing, not writing books.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
M
I would be interested in a copy.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Jack, doesn't need any help explaining himself or defending himself and I don't have the knowledge to do so.

Then don't.

This isn't the first time recently that Jack's complained about his book being quoted on here. I'm just saying if your business venture didn't pan out for you don't complain about the very people/site that have tried to help.

It's a pretty simple concept.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ill take a copy or two if you put them out.

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This post is concerning the ID part only, which would consist of pictures of each model, a description, what pump they were introduced in and what year, for the first few years.
There are way to many pumps after 1936 to list them individually so YOUR CABINET dates would be what you would have to go on after 1936, but it will show crankback computers up to 1955-56

Say if you have a cabinet dated 1937, there is a model computer that was INTRODUCED in 1937.
I was able to verify this by the date on the cabinet ID tag and records at the pat off.
Most computers got changed, some are missing, but a lot of pumps still have the originals, this would be a way to tell if the computer has been changed or what type/model computer a certain year cabinet should have, or if you have a hybrid.
As far as I know this compiled information does not exist in one document.

I can understand Jack's delima,
I don't want to use a bunch of unsold literature as furniture.
I still have several Bowser & Erie serving trays... cry
I don't want to go into financial ruin for a passion.

I just want to document this stuff before I die and maybe make a few bucks for the effort, if it gets pirated then that will be done by "crooks" not customers.
I want it to be affordable enough for me to produce and so everyone can benefit from it.
If you don't want a pirated copy don't buy one from anyone but me, if you want it to pirate it, you are a crook.
Afterall it's not a $200.00 MICROSOFT WINDOWS CD
It's a $20.00 VEEDER ROOT I.D. CD

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe,

I certainly hope that you will be able to offer such data. You are right, who else has the knowledge and the desire to make it available. Historical information is something that needs preserved. I am pretty sure that you won't get rich off the CD but the rewards will come back to you in other ways.

Count me in!

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Joe: just asking because I don't know the answer, but what about making it available as a download via computer.
db makes a good point that cd's and dvd's may become obsolete. Juat a thought.

Online Cool
By making your information available on a disk, you'll avoid the huge upfront cost of printing. You can make the disks yourself as you need them. Hope you can swing it. Historic knowledge needs to be documented by those who really know what's going on.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
R
Count me in too. I've been turnin wrenches for the last 35 years. I consider my self a pretty good tech. I couldn't have done it though, without the manuals, picture books and all the tips and tricks I learned from all the old guys coming up through the business. 20 bucks is nothing compared to the time you will waste when you change your wheels and can't get them to reset right. Just dig out Joes CD/DVD or whatever and follow along. I think it will inspire more folks to tackle rebuilding a V/R meter or just changing their wheels for that matter. To me, I love all things mechanical and when you do a restoration, theres nothing more gratifying than rolling back that reset crank and watching the wheels turn and the shutters operating and that bell ringing when she resets. Richard

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My apologizes. I just reread what I typed and it did sound like trashing, what I was doing was trying to prevent anyone from making the same mistake I made.
It is one thing to spend 6 months of your life putting together a book like the Gas Pump ID book and having someone else print it, I have made about $2000 so far on it. But, it is another thing to write a book and print it yourself, now you not only have time but also money tied up in it. I don't have the distribution that Krause Publishing does, therefore, I don't sell books.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
To me the printed magazine and books are going the way of the newspapers. I bought lots of how to books to read and learn, but more and more I find myself reading online. I've even helped in the writing of a couple of books by supplying info and pictures for one, he is having a hard time with getting it published, too many pages too deep into the subject for the publisher. The other was a gentleman who was helping me modify a piece of equipment for other purposes. He would draw out ideas, I would make them fit the machine, there were others who were doing the same thing. I encouraged him to put his knowledge into a book (booklet) because there had to be many more like me who would be interested in it. I doubt if he made much money because of the limited scope subject.
Joe, It is my opinion the scope of your book would be small also, a DIY print or cd/dvd would be the way to go. In a few years most of these pumps will be restored or rusted beyond repair. Since most are not really used, total restorations won't be needed, just cosmeticly repaired. I'm interested in a copy, but I doubt my 16yr will ever look at it, but then you just never know? Good Luck with the book! Take care! tt

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Joe sounds like a great idea smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For me, if I need to rely on something for a value and/or authenticity, I want a hard copy. Having the info on a disc, or even online, has its virtues. But if you remember how I found the pair of 36Bs, (The Thrill of the Hunt) you'll remember that I showed the owner the value of the pumps, and how that value was reached. That cant be done with just a disc.

With that said, the idea of compiling the info, and recording it, seems like a good idea to me.

On a personal note though, I got a good laugh at these two comments....

"if it gets pirated then that will be done by "crooks" not customers."

"If you don't want a pirated copy don't buy one from anyone but me, if you want it to pirate it, you are a crook."

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Like many things in this hobby or anything that is aged and obsolete, either in process of "how something" was done or the item itself, knowledge is lost that can't be replaced because too much time has passed before interest regains momentum. People have passed on that were once everyday experts in their respective fields. Take the vinyl recording tubes of yesteryear. How were they made and what were they used on and how was recording performed? I'm sure that this info. can be found today, but much time has passed and many forms of recording and storing have come and gone since that time. This info. could be lost forever if there was not some passionate person willing to put time into the preservation of knowledge. I applaud you're efforts even if I have little understanding of what it is that you are documenting. No matter what form the documentation takes (CD, book, pamphlet, software, freeware), that will be priceless information that will live on long after you do. Sorting out those that would wrongfully acquire this knowledge from those that wouldn't would drive one insane. I believe the numbers would favor you're enterprise especially using this site as a launching point and your costs would be recouped in time. My hats off to you for embracing such a venture and hope nothing but positives for you but most especially, human kind will always be all the better for your preservation of a dying art. It's my own goal to save a piece of something before I dye.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe--I've been out of commission for a while, so I haven't posted on thid thread but I would certainly be on the "go for it" side of your endeavor. I have all of your expensive serving trays and would love to see more about the invention that changed gas & Oil history! I'd take a copy for myself and a couple more for X-mas presents!----KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved