Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sorry Seth,i know i don't need to justify this to you, however there are some people here who may need some justification.... there are a couple of guys who get me worked up & he is one of them...i just want the people here to know the REAL RAY.......time to leave for the course & relax...it may be the last week we have...

Last edited by roadrelics; Tue Nov 17 2009 09:06 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
T
ROADRELICS
YEP YOUR ONE OF THE EXPERTS! Thanks for telling us all how you put birdcages in the new boxes, printed the tag and sealed them with the 1951 tag on it! You know all about it!! Who aged the boxes for you? Funny all the Birdcages are MINT but all the boxes have water damage and stains. But yet the Cages remain MINT!! Hmmm!

Appreciate the Neon clock pics also..just what I am talking about. All the ones you have are MINT and Spotless Clean with perfect Neon !! Did you put the new neon in them when you had them apart?? The DX clearly has New Neon in it! And all your "Outside Spinner glass" is MINT ALSO. Woody sells all of these parts as I am sure you know. Most "Original" Spinner glass have flaked on the ones I have seen with bad neon and transformers..but not yours!! Of course, any friend of Woody's I would expect them to have nothing but mint clocks in their home anyway!!

All my Kerosene flanges arent mint as the few I have left now have paint wear and dark spots. Ill gladly sell you one for $250 and you can do all the testing you want.

NOW TELL US ALL ABOUT all the garbage repops you had made and sold to "Famous Daves Bar B Q Restaurant"?? Like the Orange United sign and others! The Famous Daves here where I live has so much new and worthless signs hanging on the walls ..its pathetic. That must have been a big SCORE For you!!

My Hires sign ..item 380178375302 on Ebay has the original wood crate shown!!

You have sold so much to all the restaurants you can afford to take off for a Golf Day!! Some people have to actually work for a living.

What restaurant are you going to try selling all your neon signs to ...that you cant sell on Ebay?

What a deal..all 58 signs for only 400K!! or get a bargain and buy 20 for only 125K!! Do you deliver?

t-ray #160416 Tue Nov 17 2009 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is getting good...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Listen to Jim; at least try to keep it somewhat civil. I try to promote the hobby. How do think newbies and people considering entering our hobby are reactingto this? Just something to think about IMO.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
eek eek I feel a lock coming on on this one!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or maybe a set of gloves....

Anything Chevron
As long as there is no name calling and the rules of the forum are followed, this will stay open. It is being watched closely.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

The gloves idea is a good one, we could host the first oldgas PPV boxing match!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I think this topic is great as long as it stays civil, both old timers and newbies can learn something here. And that is, have the most knowledge you can get before you buy anything.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
T
Gloves.. ha ha.. sorry I am a lover and not a fighter! If I could, I would like to clarify Roadrelics "gets me worked up" post above towards me so you may understand why he said this a little better. Maybe he can add to this. I dont know.

Roadrelics bought many years ago a Pepsi License topper from me on Ebay and paid around $500 for it. He gets it and no complaints..so I list another one for sale which didnt sell for as much the second time..and usually never does. Unknown to him, which I didnt tell him either, I bought a stack of these at a Pepsi convention in Indpls. He saw me selling the second one and went raging mad sending me all these emails demanding a refund claiming it was a repop etc etc...all because I have a quantity of them? I refused but finally gave him a refund to get him off my back. He then has made it his lifes goal to post nothing but negative comments about me because of that incident as some kind of retaliation towards me. Dont get me wrong I am not a saint or expert ...and yes I have probably bought & sold a few repops over the years as it is hard not to do these days. Yes I have also put a new face in a Pam Clock also but once you see the original face a repop is almost obvious.

But over the years I have heard so many rumors and facts regarding him that I never posted it until now. He always seems to me to be the all knowing expert when someone makes a post here...when in reality his judgement may be totally wrong.

I personally have no problem with someone wanting to compare a sign I have to another one in person holding both examples and making opinions, but looking at a few pics and then thinking a sign is a repop and posting it here on Oldgas without even holding it in your hands or comparing it in person seems absurd.
t-ray

t-ray #160446 Tue Nov 17 2009 12:16 PM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
"I am not a saint or expert ...and yes I have probably bought & sold a few repops over the years "

Probably?

A few?

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
t-ray #160447 Tue Nov 17 2009 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: t-ray

I personally have no problem with someone wanting to compare a sign I have to another one in person holding both examples and making opinions, but looking at a few pics and then thinking a sign is a repop and posting it here on Oldgas without even holding it in your hands or comparing it in person seems absurd.
t-ray

I dont know either one of you gentlemen, but I DO have a question for YOU Ray. What was it that you said earlier?

"I see your still selling those daggone AC SPARKPLUG BIRDECAGES for $975 time after time after all these years? Wow, That must have been some huge Mobil Garage to hold all of those Birdcages in their attic? I saw the one you had in Springfield for just $550.. but I guess that one was a "second" huh? Strange all yours are missing all the "Old Sparkplugs" also? I guess they fell out of the boxes while you were moving them out of the attic, huh?"

And lets not forget....

"YEP YOUR ONE OF THE EXPERTS! Thanks for telling us all how you put birdcages in the new boxes, printed the tag and sealed them with the 1951 tag on it! You know all about it!! Who aged the boxes for you? Funny all the Birdcages are MINT but all the boxes have water damage and stains. But yet the Cages remain MINT!! Hmmm!"

this is really starting to get funny!!!!

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you replace the face in a clock do you advertise that fact in your auctions, or is the clock sold as "original"? Looking at some of your auctions, I get that queasy feeling in my gut, that not all is "kosher" I could be wrong, often am. But, since we're all friends here. I think my money will stay in my pocket, where it comes to your auctions.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I think all of us that "deal" in this merchandise have at one time or another come across a "quantity" of original merchandise. I one time found a case of Borden's tin signs, and another time, I found a few cases of Hamm's beer signs.

That's over the course of a 10-year career which saw probably $5 million in sales of original petroliana and it happened to me twice....

Now, I won't say who (being in the insurance industry has made me very cognizant of liability!) but I've seen one of the participants of this thread at shows in Indiana & Ohio with a 29.5" Phillips Ethyl Shield AND a 24" Pennzoil Brown Bell. I personally witnessed each sign sell, and sell, and sell, and sell, and sell.....there was a stack of each (and many other signs) in his/her vehicle. Just another quantity find I guess.....

t-ray #160455 Tue Nov 17 2009 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'm going to post once more about all of this, as I feel for the most part 'treasure ray' is doing a bang-up job of introducing himself to the Oldgas community... eek

....read the questions asked and 'answered' for the Champion sign:

Nov 11, 2009
Q: Any date or manufacturer name on this sign?
A: Hi I dont see any name or date on it..

Nov 14, 2009
Q: what is printed in small lettering in the right hand corner on each side of the sign?
A: Hi sorry I dont know as I already have it packed up.

...now, anyone with eyes can see a small code in the right hand corner of this sign, in the photos...it's hard to make out, but there's no doubt that it's there on both sides of the sign...and anyone with a brain can see that the 'answers' posted are less than helpful, at best...

Originally Posted By: t-ray
After disputing his 70s Clear Neon tubing wasnt original to that Rexall Sign and his laughable BS description,he has been on a mission ever since. How could a 1940s Rexall Sign with all that rust needing sheet metal replaced still have the Original Glass Neon?

...here's 'treasure ray's' reply after I told him his sign was a fake, and that I would inform the buyer as such if he wouldn't:

Yeah a B-I-G "Oil can and Map" buyer like you couldnt afford it anyway!! I am waiting to inform the buyer of your Rexall sign you just sold also.. re: Clear neon being all original?? Clear Neon is new, moron!! They didnt use clear tubing neon in the 40s or put it on Rexall Signs.

...seriously? laugh...any neon people want to chime in here?...listen, genius - neon glows bright red or reddish orange when lit, that's why the glass is clear...the first neon sign used clear glass!!!

...your little 'neon sign' routine only started after I commented on how convenient it was for your sign to be packed up - so no further information would be available - and that your sign was a fake...my only 'mission' here is to keep a misinformed buyer from getting ripped-off...if you don't tell them, and no one else does, he/she might think the sign is real and old for years, until they try and sell it and learn otherwise...LONG after your 'money-back' offer has expired...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved