Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161253 Sun Nov 22 2009 03:26 PM
OP Offline
New guy here with a question or two.
I just purchased a Tokheim, model 39, type(BP?) seriel # 1048084-7-54 pump yesterday at a swapmeet. The pump is very complete and the original tag is intact so I am sure the model and type are correct unless it was changed in the past. I just ordered the "bible" and restoration guidebook from the site also. This pump has the hose coming from inside the body with 4 guide rollers in the side. Of all the pictures I have been able to find I haven't seen one like it yet. Any clues as to what year, brand of gas etc... it could be? There is a faint old sticker that has #2 diesel and a Pure emblem on it. Anybody have a picture or two of this style.

misc 005.jpg misc 006.jpg misc 007.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, chaingang. I sent you a PM. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Sun Nov 22 2009 03:54 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pure Diesel...boy it's going to stink if it still has the guts in it.
Let me know if you need the computer rebuilt.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A great pump once you get the smell of diesel out of it.

If you meant my Gas Pump ID book when you said "Bible", thanks for buying my book.

The pump guys will have to confirm this, but I believe the hose exit with the rollers came off a Wayne pump. Am I correct?

Your pump was made in between April 1, 1954 and June 30, 1954.

It is from the A & B series where the doors lift off.

It is a 39B, the P means that it had ad glass panels originally.

I have the largest website devoted to this hobby (over 5000 images): www.petrocollect.com

If you want to see original Tokheim pictures of your pump (there is even an instruction sheet on how to install the rubber around the glass in the doors) check out: http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039a.htm

Also, the correct nozzle is also shown on: http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20nozzles.htm

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #161268 Sun Nov 22 2009 05:31 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies so far. Yes it does have all the guts in it. It was a real bear getting it to the truck even with hand trucks. It does not have even a faint smell of diesel but I haven't opened it up yet. Yes Jack I was refering to your book. I look forward to getting it. So are you saying that mine had the side panel replaced in the past? I like the look of this hose style and would like to retain it when it is restored. Not sure of the lift off doors as I haven't unloaded it from the trailer but it does have the lower locks in both front and back panels. Also, one panel does have a filler piece in it that I would assume is for the add panel you mentioned. In this model it is below the computer, correct? Should it have the add panels in both sides? Can they be reinstalled when I do the restoration?
Thanks,
Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If there are stamped out holes in the doors under the face glass it would have taken glass w/ a rubber seal.
There should be reflectors inside the doors, to send light outward through the ad glass
There should be some stainless strips or bars on the corners on the hose side.
Make sure your doors will slide under the stainless top trim easily,,,BEFORE YOU PAINT

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Jack Sim #161275 Sun Nov 22 2009 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
Tok. made 4 different 39L body styles [39 LHR pg 287, 39L-EP & 39L-EZ pg 288, 39-A-BP pg 290] that have the long hose retracting into pump. 300 models have a couple more.

OP Offline
Joe,
It does have a stamped opening in one panel, no way it could have been cut out, to smooth and uniform. Should it have had glass panel on both sides? I will check into the reflectors when I can. One of the stainless bars is missing there are open holes on the right side of the nozzle so I figured it had 2 originally. That appears to be the only thing really missing at this point. I will keep you in mind for the computer rebuild when I get to that point. What part of GA are you in? I am about 60 miles south of Atlanta.
Dick,
You referenced a 39L in your post. What does the L mean? Also, the pages you referenced, what book is this from? I hope it is Jack's since I have one on order. So my pump would be correct with this hose style? Any pics of this style restored or even unrestored?
I really apreciate the info so far guys.
Dave

Last edited by chaingang; Sun Nov 22 2009 06:36 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CG,
The L stands for LOW. That body style is a shorter version of the 6' 39, w/ exception of adv panels being above the faces.
Yes, I'm referring to Jack's 2nd book. 1st book had more oil pumps included, in 2nd book some of those were dropped for more pumps.
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am in Carrollton

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #161323 Sun Nov 22 2009 08:58 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here is a picture of one like yours but without the add glass.

Richard

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nice pump. I think 39s dont get enough credit. I think they are good looking pumps when all done up smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a pair of ad glass and light reflectors for your pump on Ebay right now. Everything in excellent condition. Item #370295316760
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
OP Offline
Yep, that is what mine looks like. Looks like another layer of red showing through my white paint, I wonder if mine was done up like yours. I will look at the EBAY items. Thanks,
Dave

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Dave. I just sent you a private message. John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved