Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#162323 Sun Nov 29 2009 08:49 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have a sign that some "super fabricator" took a notch out of because he needed a piece of metal..... No it couldn't be a common sign~It's a 6' DSP National Tire Service arrow shaped driveway sign. I have got a piece of metal welded back in and am getting ready to paint it. I think clear coating the sign would help blend in the repair, and my question is what kind of prep is done to the porcelain area to be cleared and what kind of clear coat works best? Any info would be appreciated!
I'm tired of mopping up the teardrops every time I look at this kick-butt sign someone ruined!!!!
My plan is to restore it to it's former glory as a driveway sign, and although I don't have the correct base I am going to use an old wood spoke wheel I have as a base. The paint on the wheel is original and I think would look great with the orange arrow sign!

T H A N K S ! G A R A G E ~ A ~ G O GO

full.jpg top.jpg base.jpg
Last edited by Garage-A-GoGo; Sun Nov 29 2009 09:29 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool looking sign ! I like your idea for a display stand.

Hopefully someone on here will have an answer to your questions.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think the real skill is how well you blend in your new colors. what I would do is use a cleaner like prepsol or for that matter you can spray a little brakeclean on a rag a wipe the non painted area of any oils or contamination. Most clears I use are all the basic a 4:1 mix with the activator of your choice. A slow activator for hot temperature, a fast for cooler temps, these have a lot to do with the way the clear levels and the speed it sets up. You can go with a satin or a hi-gloss clear. I spend about $30.00 for the qt. of clear which includes the needed activator. Four parts clear 1 part activator. Use a 1.3 nozzle.....................Roger

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the advise! Very much appreciated!
Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved