Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like Chevron. I never have to put injecter cleaner in the tank with it. The cheap brands I would have to add it. Also had a problem with Shell cloging the injecters, but that was in the early 90s

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I buy mostly Pure. It is pure gas with no ethanol. It's about the same price as the rest around me. I buy some at Murphy and some at Texaco. The Texaco is also pure gas. Can't tell much difference in mpg on either one. Might vary two to three tenths per gallon, but not enough to worry about....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like to pay with cash so what ever station doesn't make you PREPAY gets my business. I could be wrong but i think this prepay thing is a western USA thing...maybe have more crooks out west I guess, or the justice system isn't hard enough on criminals to deter them.....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What's wrong with prepay? You walk up, tell the cashier $30 on #4. They punch it into the computer and you don't have to worry about going over that amount. If your rig takes less than the amount, go in and get the difference from the cashier. Seems simple enough to me. I never use a credit or debit card, especially after different agencies have been reporting finding card scanners hooked up to the gas pump computers. With prepay, a mini-mart or gas station doesn't have to worry about someone filling their rig and then just taking off without paying. Seems like an idea every owner would want to follow. I know in this area, I can't remember the last time I read in the paper or saw on tv a report about someone stealing gas by driving off without paying. 5 or 6 years ago, I read about it all the time.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I try to buy from local refineries like Conoco-Phillips and was using until last month Sinclair before it sold and also use Quik Trip stores. The people of Oklahoma let Chavez know how they felt and he took his commie Citgo's out of Oklahoma

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mainly Shell here--I seem to get about 1-2 mpg better.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most gas is bought on the spot market, then as said before, additives are added before tanker is filled. You'd be surprised @ how big the container is w/ the additives for 10,000 gallons. Trace amount in each gallon.

P
P
ExxonMobil employees/retirees get a 10% discount....so I use those brands whenever possible. The one Mobil station in town is also usually the lowest price in town, which works out good.

Richard

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
SuperAmerica, Holiday or other local independent marketers by price. Not many refineries service MN, so...to me its basically the same. I have tracked mileage on all my vehicles for over five years and don't see any mpg pattern difference. The exception would be when I fill in larger cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, and 10% ethanol fills in Iowa & Wisconsin, where my mpg drops noticably. ( -off topic- I see larger mpg differences in my choices of diesel.)

I'm more loyal to the brands I collect than the brands I burn.
More importantly, I'm loyal to good service when I can find it.

Several months ago in IL, I had a cashier sincerely say to me after the sale "Thank you for choosing xxx? We appreciate your business". I almost fell over. LOL

Kim

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob it goes more like this in Montana....you walk up...wait in line 10 minutes...take a guess at a fill up amount and pay....walk back out and fill truck up but you have 2.00 coming as you overpaid...walk all the way back in again and get in line for another 10 minutes to get your 2 bucks back...head back out again to the truck swearing about the damn prepay....if no ones driving off what the heck is wrong with the old way....FILL UP AND PAY!!

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Like Zooman an Dick Bennett stated when you buy fuel no matter what station chances are it came from the same refinery and the additives were put in at the loading dock. Frontier refining supplys 90% of the fuel in southern Wyoming and 1/3 the supply in the Denver market and northeast Colorado. There are two refinerys in Denver and they supply the rest. I found this out when we went out on strike years ago and did not want to buy Frontier gas. Mitch

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Mostly Costco or Valaro in the newer vehicles. Chevron or Shell in my old Y-Block Ford. That carburetor does not like cut-rate gas. I steer clear of Mobil, after the second tank, my wife would complain that her car was running rough.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We only have 2 choices in town. Exxon and Unocal 76. The Exxon station is a C-store. I and most of the locals go to the 76 station. He still runs his service bays and he's a good guy. Plus his gas is always a nickle cheaper than his competitor.
When I go to Santa Rosa I usually fill up at Rotten Robbies......I like the name !

Last edited by Scott Baselt; Thu Dec 24 2009 01:02 AM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I buy Speedway or Marathon gas, you don’t suppose because I work for Marathon would have anything to do with that?

As most of you old timers on here know; I haul gas for a living.
I enjoy reading posts like these to see what the general public is aware of.

If you buy from any area station near you, and your vehicle runs good on the gas you get, there isn’t anything wrong with that. You are better off, buying from one place you know and trust, than pump hopping from station to station to save 2 cents.

The EPA requires detergent additives in all gasoline’s.
Vermonter, if you want to kill some time, here is a link to all that info: http://www.epa.gov/oms/fuels.htm
But, as DB pointed out, the requirements are very small (trace amounts).

Major “Brands” have higher amounts of patented additives injected and can make a difference in the performance of your car over its lifetime, especially if you own a car for a long time. These additives are specific to a particular company, and in essence, what makes them “Branded”. Better fuel mileage and fewer engine repairs are their most advertised advantages.

Most stations that make you prepay do it for one reason… Drive OFF’s. (People stealing gas).
It is just as much of a hassle for them as it is for you. I use a credit/debit card to pay. You are more likely to run into a card scanner at an ATM than at a station.

Most Independents and Mom and Pop’s buy “whatever” is cheapest on the market on any given day.

The Federal government, no longer requires stations to mark pumps selling Ethanol gas.
Some state regulations may vary. But looking for a sticker that says 10% Ethanol is not indicative of what you are getting. (Don’t even waste your time asking the pimpled kid behind the counter, they know less about the gas than you do).

Ethanol can lower your fuel mileage, but for the average person buying 10% blend with Ethanol, you won’t notice much of a drop. One or two miles per gallon if that (in my S-10 it is only about .6 tenths of a mile per gallon difference). From what I see, most drivers could gain more fuel mileage by changing their driving habits than switching to a non ethanol gasoline.
If you are using E85, the average fuel mileage loss is about 17%.

As for me, If I had a 1956 Ford pickup, I wouldn’t buy Ethanol gas, and I would use 89 octane (unless it had a high performance engine that required a higher octane) . If, I could find a Major Brand without Ethanol I would use only that.
Some people have really done their homework, so to speak, on the gas they put in their old cars and pickups, and go even further with this, but I can’t post that info here.

Chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have one Van that runs great on Amoco / B P Mid grade . Meanwhile Shell is the gasoline of choice if I can get it . I try to avoid Hugo Chavez/ Citgo though. I sometimes buy Exxon . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved