Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#171037 Wed Jan 20 2010 08:23 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Did anyone catch what they said the Skelly sign was worth? overall the show was a little more interesting than normal stuff. What do you think? will it last or is it a put on show??? Take care! tt

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They bought the Skelly for 150. enjoyed the show but dosen't seem realistic, like Pawn Stars

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I thought the show was interesting. Even if the prices are made up like Pawn Stars it's cool to see the places they go and the stuff that's still out there.

-Matt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C'mon--Do you really think they would air a show on national TV that doesn't have something to offer?? Of course they already know what they're going to find! They sure couldn't do a show around coming up empty handed!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll bet the Iowa collectors/pickers are Happy, that's where they were Pick'n !

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
They were pickin' all over the area. I have seen these guys several times at auctions before. I think that it is cool to get to see some on these places, but it is not realistic at all. We all know that it isn't that easy. This show makes it look like this stuff is just laying around everywhere and they are stumbling on to it all the time. People are not happy about it at all if you get out the boards on www.history.com. People are down right ***** to be honest, saying that these guys are scam artist and ripping people off. I think that it would be alot more interesting to send a "perspective buyer" such as myself along with them.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
hope these guys don't give away too many of our secrets.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since when do they give firm appraisals on items over the phone, especially sight unseen? Do they use a crystal ball or tea leaves? They really should be proud of themselves for robbing the old man of the saddle. Again, the appraisal was BS, the guy said here in Iowa might be worth $1500, in CA, CO or MT might be worth up to $5000. So somehow the saddle is now worth 5 grand, not $1500???? They must have missed him saying "it might be worth up to".

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I THINK THEY ARE DRIVING PRICES SKY HIGH FOR ANTIQUES, NOW EVERY BODY THAT HAS SOMETHING OLD THEY WILL THINK ITS WORTH A SMALL FORTUNE......

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It is sad but 75% of people that have something think it's worth a fortune without this.

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Do you think that Skelly sign show up at auction it will bring more just because they showed it on the show??? I guess time will tell......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I personally hate shows like this. Like dodgeman said, they do nothing but drive up prices and lead the general public to believe that everything old is worth a fortune. Just like Barrett Jackson with old cars... Over Christmas, I saw a commercial for the picker show, then went antiquing. I overheard a lady in the antique mall talking about wanting to become a picker. I knew she must have just watched that show. Won't it be fun at auctions with a bunch of idiots running around bidding ridiculous prices on everything we want, thinking that they're all pickers...?

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I watched the show, didn't really care for it.

But....to be honest and objective...I believe he let the old man with the saddle name his price. And...if what they were saying is true, they supposedly let the seller throw out the price first most times. If that's the case you can't accuse them of ripping somebody off. Now, are they opportunists?? Absolutely.

My primary thought was they are going to make it harder for everyone who pulls into a farmyard looking for pumps and signs.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I believe the prices and pickers went up after ebay started, they see what items bring and now everybody is there bidding on gas and oil items. I used to be able to buy around me with not to much competition not any more, and for the show didn't see it but it's on TV and how many times did they shoot it to make it look real just like pawn stars real believable!!!!!!!NOT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now when you try to buy a pump or sign the folks will be ready for their close up shot for the camera......And looking for auction prices.
NOT GOOD for the hobby.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I was kind of excited about the show when I seen the previews. About half way through the first episode I felt it was kind of a "dud" of a show, not as interesting as I thought it could be. My brother delivers fuel and oils for a local jobber, and he does in fact get on/in properties like those shown. Old farmers with 60 years of accumulation sitting all around. He does find pumps and other interesting items but 99% of the time they aren't for sale. I think the mentality of most people already is that everything is worth a fortune. (How long HAS Antiques Road Show been on...?) I know it pains a lot of us to see this stuff succumbing to the elements, with the owners not giving two hoots about it. I guess we'll all have to wait for the auction and hope there aren't too many "professional pickers" there!! wink

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the hosts are irritating geeks...the show is dreadful...no redeeming qualities whatsoever...and the History Channel has evidently gone to pot...period...

...any of us who have driven around trying to add to our collections is familiar with the natural suspicion people have when it comes to total strangers knocking on their door out-of-the-blue, asking to root around through their personal property, making lowball offers to buy stuff...

...now - add to that some city slackers sticking cameras and boom mics into their faces as well, and in real life this show would be nothing but a montage of slammed doors and people being asked to leave the property at the business end of a shotgun...come to think of it, it would be infinitely more entertaining than this 'geared-to-the-lowest-common-denominator' garbage...

...this show is completely staged and makes professional wrestling look highbrow by comparison...I won't be watching, but if I hear in the news that someone pulled a shotgun on these clowns, I'll be laughing like hell...

"We had a deal at $1500 and you had to go talk to your family"...that would have been enough for a fat lip (at the very least) where I come from...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In an effort to attract viewers, the televsion industry came up with what they call "reality" shows, which in fact are in most cases, including this one, far from it. They should change the term to "fantasy" shows.

Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just to play devil's advocate here, I live in rural farm country and have seen it several times where a slick talking guy will come in and almost steal extremely valuable items from elderly people who have no clue what they have, and the money would of really made a difference in their lives. Why do the city people come out here and expect to buy stuff off the dumb old farmer for next to nothing. Like that saddle deal, Those guy's aren't stupid. if they do that for a living they know what stuff is worth. It was obvious that the guy shouldn't of been pricing stuff it was two against one the old guy needed someone in his corner. I realize it is just a made-up show but that kind of stuff happens all the time. My Dad is 84 and sharp for his age but can be worn down, we have no idea how long those guys worked him over to name a price on it. I think a little knowledge on value is great,and if that means people will have to pay realistic prices for items well that's too bad.

Jay Leeper
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: chadrock00
They were pickin' all over the area. I have seen these guys several times at auctions before. I think that it is cool to get to see some on these places, but it is not realistic at all. We all know that it isn't that easy. This show makes it look like this stuff is just laying around everywhere and they are stumbling on to it all the time. People are not happy about it at all if you get out the boards on www.history.com. People are down right ***** to be honest, saying that these guys are scam artist and ripping people off. I think that it would be alot more interesting to send a "perspective buyer" such as myself along with them.

I agree 100% there Chad smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i can t believe it took you guys this long to start a thread on the show!!!

if they got such a great deal on the the phillip morris marquee, and the guy seemed willeng to sell, then why stop at the the marquee. he had plenty of other interesting things laying around?????

after paying only $5 for the cast iron toy stove.....the slender cat laughed and grinned at the seller when the opportunity arose. essentially telling america not to trust his face.

the show was entertaining and i will be watching future episodes. it fun to see what is in america's backyards. its much better than watching "desperate housewives" hahahahha

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
S
S
"I won't be watching, but if I hear in the news that someone pulled a shotgun on these clowns, I'll be laughing like hell..."

I saw a commercial for an upcomming episode last night, and someone does point a gun on them at the front door!
But it was probably staged, like the rest of the show...

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well, I have mixed feelings about the show. one the "stuff" is interesting, pickers aren't although the babe back at the shop is cool. Letting the seller set the price is good, working them to set a price that hit's home. BTW I'm on a farm with "stuff" piled up, was in the antiques business with one of the largest ones in the area, 9/11 and 3$ gas cut off customers. I've been to so many auctions that we had our own number at many of them. Some stuff I started collecting was cheap, auctioneers saved the stuff for me cause I would give them a few dollars for stuff they couldn't get bids on. 20 years ago you could buy at auction, now you get more for many things at auction.
Then there are those city slickers... well there is a big nosed car pimp that you can see on Barrett-Jackson and other major car auctions that has seen the serious end of my rifle.
Probably the things that bothers me the most was for 20 yrs a fellow farmer down the road aways had a 1919 Henderson, he and i would talk every time we see each other, it was his baby, he told me and his wife when I die this guy will give you a good price and he will take care of it. Well when he passed, there was an auction, no Henderson, rumors have it the lawyers got it. still steamed about that.
ok which one of the pickers goes to "rehab" 1st......if it's hollywood it will happen.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been watching this thread because I have some really strong feelings on this. I agree with Jay Leeper.Jay,by no means intending to interpret you thoughts,but here are mine.I think that when one intentionally deceives someone about the true worth of an item to make a "score" it is bad for the hobby and will result in more "not for sale" responses because neighbors really do talk to one another.

By the way,I've told more than one person who quoted me a price,"it's worth more than that"and paid more than the asked for price.And,you know what?When they found more stuff,I was invited back to look at it.

Just my thoughts and experience from at least trying to be reasonable when dealing with people.Nothing more.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
At least on Pawn Stars they call in an "expert" to tell the customer what it's worth. Then chisle the poor fool down. I don't care for either show as I believe they don't help the collecting community.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Entertainment TV, NOT reality TV

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
just a silly thought, if these antiquing shows can in a few shows create new experts, how many killers have all these csi/murder/cop shows created?????
good thing about pip (picture in picture)you only get one set of audio.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
i haven't watched the show and probably won't. Let me know if an 80 plus year old farmer's daughter in a bikini gets HOSED out of papa's old fry mae west and farmall f-20 on steel and i'll take a look;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Entertainment TV, NOT reality TV

Dick nailed it. It's entertainment. If a person does not find it entertaining......don't watch. I think the Pawn Stars and American Picker programing has been taken way to literal by several posters.

Personally, I find both programs entertaining. They deal with some subject matter that I find interesting. I also find the RM and Barrett Jackson telecast entertaing but don't view the pricing literaly or as an absolute.

Last edited by okoil1; Thu Jan 21 2010 05:05 PM.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Entertainment...... Exactly!!!!! Both shows are entertaining, There isn't much on tv these days and I look forward to new episodes. They still won't top my favorite, "History Detectives"!!!!!!!

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
i did not see the show, are these guys collectors, or do they just sell the stuff?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
TV and "Reality TV" is scraping the barrel for anything to put on for us to watch. The History channel didn't do this, some producer came to them and told them he had an idea such as the Pawn Stars (I haven't seen this new show). He would have a pawn shop buy all kinds of strange stuff from people.

Isn't is a coninsistance that:

The camera man is there when a guy want to sell them an old 1960s Lincoln or a hot air baloon." And when did anyone ever pawn an old car?

That the host seems to know everything about anything, the exact year, etc.?

As or experts, why does it seem they know everything also?

Everyone one on this show is an actor (and I'm sure there is no shortage of actors in Las Vegas) and everything is staged, experts included.

I sometime watch it to see if Rick from Rick's Restoration can change a 1957 Chevy into a Model T Ford.

Really fault the History Channel for airing this trash, but then every channel is airing the same thing.

I don't agree with DB , it is not even entertaining.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well, "prawn stars" (a little pun intended) I had to see a repeat of the Indian motorcycle episode. Well amermechie indians just went up, only 20 around????? they paid $1500 for parts bike, Rick restores it for 3500/4500$ (new engine for a grand) I'm glad I'm not into those type of bikes or it would be impossible to restore one for fair money. I'll just stick to my dispatch tows, power plus, and jr scout racer. Well a 100 years from now what is our era going to look like????? (a bunch of lousy liars)

F
F
Don't make fun of "Pawn Stars", I think it is a great show and "Chumlee" is my hero!! (just kidding). I sure like that purple "Ford" pickup the "Old Man" always stands in front of when he gives his opinion on a given subject.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen & talked to this Mike Wolf (from Iowa} picking at swap meets & seen him one time at Hershey & i'm sure it was his last,as he was way out of his league............ he ain't no picker, he's a wanabee movie star....kind of a joke really but i guess his persistance has paid off.....I know "real pickers" & these guys are good......Guys like Dave Stark (Mich.), Kevin Rawley (Iowa}etc.etc. know more about general antiques, collectibles than this Mike wolf will ever know & his partner knows even less......Hes at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to good pickers...he couldn't or wouldn't have enough sense to buy a $1000 sign that is worth $5000......he's more like a junk dealer who thinks he's shabby chic...............

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Havent seen Pickers yet, but I do watch Pawn Stars cause I love seeing old stuff. Its obvious its staged, I just like seeing unusual collectables.
Some have commented on the "city slickers" taking advantage of country people. I have lived my whole life (so far) in the country and it has been my experience that outsiders dont get the time of day. Its always some local guy that preys on the old ladies with the antiques. Every town I have lived in has had one SOB like that.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Have watched all these shows, Just like the antique road show all the finds and sales are set up . I have been to the antique road show and all the things you see apraised on tv have been reviewed and set up in advance so the people on the show look smart. All these shows have hurt collectables every coke sign is said to be rare and you can not buy anything at a fair price.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
P
P
I just saw the show this weekend for the first time, I have met these guys about 4 years ago, bought a coke machine off of them. they told me about this show they where trying to get , and well looks like it happened. I read all the remarks on the History Channel board and found it interestingthat most of those folks reffered to it as "ripping off" the old man, when in fact, he sure looked pretty happy to get some good $$$ for Junk that he was just letting rot away in his barn?
I'll watch again i'm sure, but just like most stuff on tv.. don't take it too seriously.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

my wife and i thought these guys were a tad bit on the...... "fruity side" and where are they coming up with there prices?we would crack up when it would show what the item was picked for,and what the profit was? i wanna know what guide there using on some of this random stuff?i caught the new show last night"01/25", and got a glimpse of a old pump in the background at that warehouse!did anybody else see that pump?

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Saw the show for the first time last night, it was not must see tv. I liked seeing the old junk piles and what people have stashed, but the guys acting like experts are idiots. The only thing they bought that was worth a flip was the Vespa and the Coke Sign. Most everything else they discovered could be found in any flea market in the country for $5 or less.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I agree with the above feedback, It is fun to see the stuff out there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As this thread has developed,I finally sat through a whole program.I agree that it is fun to look at all the other stuff that people have collected (accumulated?)over the years.

Half of my shop and everything behind it would fit into the category of "lets look at that".I was going to clean it all up and present a more organized display.Now,I may just leave it for general interest.Old lawnmowres powered by a Craftsman gasoline engine don't come up everyday.That sort of thing.

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well the one guy sure went "ape" over the vespa.... I got to watch it uninterrupted and well good editing can do wonders. The thing that they repeat is how they got great deals picked 5$ worth 75$ that sure makes them look like crooks, that person would be the production editor or producer. Do you think that person may not be the biggest fan of these guys??? or is that the best the editor can make out of these guys??? I do like seeing the stuff in the sheds, but only to show the vespa when there are Jags there too..... Have any of you thought about taking video of your collection, maybe put 10-20 collections on one Dvd or Vhs tape for some of you (grin) might be better than anything else on the tube!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didn't see any Wasp flying around when the old man pulled the nest out of Vespa w/ bare hand ! Did you ?

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
the pickers said they were bees! sure looked like wasp nest to me

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I didn't know that this program existed & just happened to tune in to it when I saw some guys prowling through some junk. Thought this will be interesting. Then as the program unfolded, I realized everything had to be staged. So, I probably won't be tuning in again to future episodes. Too fake for me!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I FINALLY GOT TO REVIEW EPISODES 1 & 2. I THOUGHT THE 48" COKE BUTTON SIGN IN #2 WAS OVERPRICED (VALUE WISE) @ $250 FOR ALL THE DINGS IT HAD IN IT. I THINK THE PRICES ARE OVER-INFLATED MYSELF!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They are suppose to find a visible on the show monday, if I remember correctly. I wonder what that will be valued at?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The preview commercial has the episode listed as "invisible pump"..... Not sure if there is a play on words, or the history channel has no clue what's going on with their own programs????? We will see??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IS IT THIS?... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tl5kYJDlXg&feature=related

I HAVEN'T SEEN #3 AND I ASSUME #4 IS THE NEXT ONE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
those seem like they are older? maybe done to get their show picked up? He refers to 1975 as 33yrs ago 2008? tt

S
S
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I didn't see any Wasp flying around when the old man pulled the nest out of Vespa w/ bare hand ! Did you ?

I think the wasps were tipped off those two jokers were coming and left the area. Can't say that I blame them.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
That's not the gas pump. The one tomorrow is out under a tree and it is a tall ten, looks like an American, but only got a glance of it during the commercial.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought I heard in the comercial that the guy would "go 600 on it."

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved