Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This question is probably directed to Jim. But I figured all members could benefit from the answer. (Vendors may also benefit from this discussion and by the same token offer suggestions to would be purchasers) Are vendors listed in the link section required to reup periodically? For instance using the links tab on this site I was searching around on prices for plastic globe bodies. There is a vendor UUUU (I decided not to name the vendor)whom has, so far, the cheapest plastic globe bodies yet from all appearances their website has not been updated since (again from what I see - 2002 but I could be wrong).

I know the obvious answer is that I have to email them to see if they are still in business and get current prices but imagine having to do this 2 or 3 times to get a competitive price. I also realize that prices change perodiocally but if the vendor is keeping up on their website it would be a convienent tool. Perhaps as a vendor even if you do not changed anything within your site you should update the date the site was updated so that someone searching your site would realize that at least up to that date you were in business.

I would think one purpose of this site is to make it easier to locate items we need. With the economy the way it is I would not be surprised if several vendors in the links section are no longer in business so perhaps there should be a way to cull them out. Sorry just wondering. Hope this is not offensive to any vendor.

John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am a veteran member of this website, my number is 57, but I am still not listed as a vendor. At the present time Cindy and I are the largest sellers of ECO Model 90 parts in North America, and I am also the author of four (2-Gas Pump, 2-Air Meter) books, but again I am not listed as a vendor of any of these. No complaints, Jim is doing a great job, there is only so much he can take care of.
Ask around for recommendation as to who to purchase from, satisified customers are the best source.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
It is true that I need to spend more time to update the directory here on Oldgas.com. A few sites listed are no longer operational. I try to remove them promptly when I find them or someone reports them to me. I have a list of new ones to add when I have time. Contact me if you have a concern about a site that is listed or one that needs to be added to the directory. Click on "Links" at the top of this page to see our Petro Web Directory. There is also a link at the top of this page for "Parts" where vendors who have a print catalog are listed.

Jack, your site has been listed on our directory as long as it has existed. It is in the directory under "Vendors, Vintage > Gas Pumps, Air Meters"

http://www.oldgas.com/search/Vendors_Vintage_Gas_Pumps_Air_Meters2.html

I regret to say that the link there went to Jack's original crspub.com until recently when I updated it to the newer address. His original site no longer works and does not refer visitors to the new site.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Oh, Jim I was not complaining directly to you... I'm sure when someone ceases operation the least they could do is inform you as common courtesy.

Jack, I already know whom most of the trusted vendors are - Using my example of plastic globe bodies - when searching the smaller vendors whom might have older stock of an item that the cost has risen over the last year or so (There is a post on why the cost of plastic bodies went up about a year to a year and a half ago reflecting the cost of petroleum if I remember correctly) - yet possibly I was hoping some of the smaller vendors maintained the price based on profits projected when they bought the bulk item (globe bodies in this case). My UUUU site for example lists them at $13.00 each with decreasing prices the more you buy - if you buy 7 the cost becomes $4 each. I'm sure that a) this vendor is no longer in business or b) these are not the current prices. Thats all I was trying to say. Either the vendor should ask to have his site removed from the list or update his prices periodically. John

Last edited by Fueluser; Mon Jan 25 2010 05:41 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I had to jump on here one more time before running off to work to clarify to Jim I was not complaining. If you see in my original post the last paragraph was putting the responsibility on the vendor. I appreciate your efforts and this site. If a vendor has enough time to request that there be a link on this site it would be just as obligatory to request it to be removed. Your situation in working and keeping this site up is similar to the small vendor working a regular job as well as running a gas station related business on the side. I was trying to give you an opportunity to remind them of the unspoken obligation. Your task would be simpler if they did their part.

Course this will be interpreted the wrong way too but I'm sure the big vendors have this under control with regards to updating their site - I'm sure its more problematic for the smaller, part time ones. John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved