Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172038 Wed Jan 27 2010 10:13 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi Everyone,
I have a question for everyone out there and I'm sure it has probably been discussed before.
I have over 400 oil cans in my collection and over 90% of them are still full. I have them displayed in my garage on several different types of displays such as, original wire oil can racks, an old station oil cabinet with locking doors and a round metal can display with with wire guards to keep them from falling. I watch for leakers and empty them if necessary.
Is it a good idea to leave them full for display in regards to fire hazard, safety, insurance purposes etc.??
I really hate to empty all of them if I don't have to.

Thanks for you feedback.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is a personal preference whether they are full or empty, value doesn't change much.
A full can will sustain more damage when dropped than an empty can.
Check w/ your ins. guy about coverage & what is allowed to be stored/collected.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Insurance issues aside, I think as Dick said, personal preference.

Always bad news for me when I received full shipped cans not packed well or in cold weather.

Ask yourself this: Why do people pay more for full ones? Or is it just on the cans I want...

Kim

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One more thing to consider is if the can is composite or metal. I usually drain the composite cans and leave the metal ones full.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

"A full can will sustain more damage when dropped than an empty can."

True...but it also leaves much more of a mess to clean up afterwards.
Don't ask me how I know..LOL.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
willing to post any pics of your collection?????

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO an original mint full metal can is worth more....it's a little more complete. I don't think the composite cans are worth bothering with

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like mine left full if I can. Yes it seems people will pay more for a full can than an empty one based on cans I have sold. I will buy either full or empty cans for myself with no difference in price.

Keith

Last edited by keithia; Wed Jan 27 2010 12:54 PM.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
C
I will buy either empty and full, but i have a preference that the holes be on the bottom, or I will pay less for holes that are on the top.
Cardboard cans, i dont care if empty of full, but again if holes, i want them on the bottom.
I like holes with a punch can opener, but anything on the bottom is fine. If it has teeth marks from electric or manual "soup can" opener, i facture that in as well.
If i buy a case of oil, thats like 10W-30 I factor in $3.00 for the value of the oil a quart. So, if the can is 10W30, or 5W30, or ATF, and I pay $5.00, I factor my can price at $2.00.
I recently bought Gulf 10W30 cans at $2.00 each, so basically im ahead there.

Take Care guys!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Empty cans are fine with me, in fact I prefer them. No advantage to full ones and a lot of potential problems. I drain any full ones I buy. If you guys have any empty rare picture cans that you want to sell, let me know. I'll gladly buy them.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dennis I am with you empty qts no problem. I do not understand I only collect full qts thinking and then will pay more?? Just my opinion. If I did that I would not have 90% of my rare graphic qts. or other cans. Insurance might be a huge factor if your place burned with 400 full qts. of oil more fuel for the fire! I may be wrong but,, I would ask how much oil is allowed sitting around but be prepared to drain if you do which would be better than the alternative if something happened. Allthough it is a necessary thing now days Ins. is out for one thing to screw ya when something happens they will say oh we won't cover that because blah, blah, didn't you read your policy!JMO

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you also drain nos lead top handy oilers, and clean out grease cans. and what about 15oz STP pull top oil treatment cans ??? I like my cans full. But that's just me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is a personal preference whether they are full or empty.
Grease cans I empty [most are leaking when I get them].

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with Ohio on the composite cans & DB on the grease cans. If mine are full I leave them that way until they start leaking. If they are empty thats fine by me too smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
P
P
I'm with Dennis......I prefer them empty and drain all my oil & grease cans. Weigh less, don't leak, don't damage as easily. I also prefer them drained from the bottom.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved