Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172249 Thu Jan 28 2010 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
After the globe repair that I did and posted in "showcase", I've had a request to fix someone elses globe. I would do this work on a custom basis if there is any interest. I would do it at an hourly rate plus materials, if anyone is interested. If there is enough interest, it will be worth my time to buy some specialized equiptment to make it easier.
In addition to bases, I can use the same materials to repair smaller holes or chips in the main body of a globe (which I've already done) or I can replace a large chunck that has been broken out, if the piece is still there!
If anyone is interested, send me a PM and we'll work out the details. Thanks---KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Kevin,
I dont have a globe that needs repair right now, but will keep you in mind. I hope your "showcase" demonstration makes it into the "how to" section for future reference for members.
I run across some cracked lenses and some broken in half for sale that I pass on. How does everyone deal with them? If there was a way to put them together so they are decent looking, they might be worth buying.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I took a broken lens and used the same epoxy to hold it together and then I spread a wider strip of epoxy on the back side for reinforcement. They look OK this way but of course, if you look close, you can still see the crack!
This lense was in 4 pieces when I got it. It still has tape on it in this picture. Wish I had the rest of the pieces. Its so rare that I'm going to keep it. I'm supposed to be receiving the one from the other side and its in only 2 pieces! Hope theres no chips out of it!!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WOULD THINK SHIPPING ANY GLOBE BODY FOR REPAIRS 2X WOULD INCREASE BREAKAGE CHANCES FROM THE WAY YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT THE POOR HANDLING OF SUCH!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's not the Poor handling, IT'S POOR PACKAGING that breaks globes, lenses or glass items. The shipper has no idea what is in the box, even tho some are marked GLASS- HANDLE W/ CARE.

DOUBLE BOX GLASS ITEMS, outer box should be 2-3" larger on all 6 sides than inside box. Instead of buying Ins., pay the shipping for a Larger box & Confirmation of delivery.

I received a metal globe body from Russ J & he double boxed it. Received it in the same condition that it was sent in, EXCELLENT.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YEAH SURE LIKE THE TIME I GOT A B.F. GOODRICH SIGN IN THE MAIL BENT AT A 90% ANGLE AND THE PACKAGE WAS CLEARLY MARKED "DO NOT BEND" AND THIS WAS A HEAVY METAL SIGN.

YOU CAN'T SAY THAT A WELL PACKAGED ITEM WILL ALWAYS GET THERE OKAY. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HOW MY COMPUTER ARRIVED BY FEDEX A FEW YEARS AGO. 30% OF THE BOX WAS TORN AWAY. THANKFULLY THE STYROFOAM CACOON SAVED THE DAY! SOME SHIPPING COMPANIES HAVE FLUNKIES WORKING FOR THEM!

DOUBLE BOX YOUR GLOBES AND PRAY THEY DON'T PLAY VOLLEYBALL WITH IT WHEN LOADING AND UNLOADING STATE TO STATE.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shouldn't have bought a MAC !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis will probably keep you too busy to help others!!!! grin grin grin

I couldn't Resist!! Sorry John... wink

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Shouldn't have bought a MAC !

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! smirk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jason... you are now receiving the spell!!! LOL
I figured i would be drug into this one. LOL

Kevin you figured out how to color epoxy yet?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dick is absolutely right about shipping! The article written by Scott Benjamin, 2 months ago, pretty well sums it up! After you have the globe double boxed, you should be able to stand on the box without damage and it should be able to withstand a drop from 6 feet, with no damage! That globe has to be packaged TIGHTLY within that box, to withstand the blows that its possible to receive!
About $35 each way for shipping, plus the cost of repairs??? Is it worth it???? In some cases, it will be, in others, definitely NOT!!!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vermonter
A few years ago Scott Benjamin, Hotcider & a few others had the "Ladies" in Santa Barbara, Ca. repair some lenses. They were doing museum quality work, but even with their work you could still see where the cracks were. Lenses did look better when lit than they did from the side w/o being lit. They would also fill in missing pieces & repaint where needed.
I was told one gave it up & the other is soo busy w/ museum work she won't take on any more lenses.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It would be interesting to take some lessons from someone that has done that kind of work before! I would travel to learn the process, but have no idea as to where to go??? Anyone know who to contact, or where to start looking????

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Think I heard they learned the craft in Europe.
Fast66 said it SNOWS there also, so you will feel like your in N.D. ! LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Has anyone ever looked into having a syrofoam "cacoon" specially made for shipping globes and lenses?

I would think they would be much better than "peanuts".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved