Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#172958 Mon Feb 01 2010 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Does anyone know if this pump plate was reproduced in 9 and 3/4 inches? If so who may have sold these? Thanks Ted

Last edited by Signal Gas & Oil; Mon Feb 01 2010 12:22 PM.

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a picture of the actual sign in question. I purchased it at the Turlock Swap meet this Sat. It measures 9 3/4 inch and the green is slightly different from my dad's. Any flying A experts out there? Thanks. ~Jason

flying A 001.JPG flying A 002.JPG flying A 003.JPG flying A 004.JPG

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I believe there was someone in the Virginia/North Carolina area that was selling repops on eBay.They were porcelain and I think in the size you mentioned. I also noticed that the grommet holes were closer to the edge of the sign on the first sign pictured.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...look closely at the word 'FLYING', on the sign in question - it was typeset on a computer...the counterfeiter was lazy, and didn't bother to reproduce the lettering as on the original, he just picked a font that was 'close enough' and went with it...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gas Pump Heaven list them in there catalog at 10" With the 4 grommet holes. But your may be real with split grommets. But some one can always replace those all so .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I BELIEVE I PICKED UP A REPOP FOR AN OUTSIDE PUMP FROM CARLISLE SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I THINK IT WAS APPROX THE SAME SIZE AS THE ORIGINAL WITHIN A QUARTER INCH OR SO. I MAY HAVE PICKED IT UP FROM GAS PUMP HEAVEN?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Mark you're right, most noticable in the G.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PRETTY MUCH ALL THE LETTERS IN BOTH SIGNS ARE SPACED MORE IN THE TOP SIGN THAN IN THE 2ND SIGN THAT JASON IS QUESTIONING.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
The bottom part of the wings are noticably lower in the 2nd sign.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We held these signs up side by side for 15 minutes and it is amazing how close they are. I can't tell the difference in the fonts in person. If it is a reproduction, and it could be based on the price I actually paid, it is scary. We compared some original signal pump plates to 3 different unmarked limited repos and there were some obvious differences. This Flying A scenario would be the best repo I have ever seen. Does anyone know for a fact that 2 different green colors may have been used?

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IS IT ME OR DOES THE RED "A" IN THE REPRO LOOK HEAVIER THAN THE ORIGINAL. THE REAL ONE HAS MORE OR A WHITE BORDER AND THE TRIANGLE LOOKS BIGGER INSIDE THE "A" ON THE REAL ONE TOO.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jason:

I can't talk to the authenticity of the sign.

But I can say that I would believe the materials for making porcelain signs would be along the same lines as the Frits I use making lenses. I have noticed that even when re-ordering 'standard' colors from my Frit supplier, there can be slight variations in the final shade of the color.

So . . . original (or reproduction) signs made at different times can/could have varations in color. Especially for a formulated color like the funky Green Flying A used. LOL

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So I must be the worst at telling fonts. I got an A in printing in high school but I could see back then. LOL I just saw a difference in the A and shade of green. However Flying A used several green shades as seen on many west coast ethyl pump plates.
I found some reproduced 9 3/4 inch repops and there were only a couple left in the stock and no more were being ordered as they were not being made. I will not reveal my source but had to have them to compare. May never know for sure, but here is the reason for marking signs if made in identical sizes. 9 3/4 " is not a normal repop size. If it is a repop at least you didn't get stuck for much as you could have. If the experts on here are having trouble I don't think your office clients will have a clue. My 2 cents. Thanks for all the input and help. Still can't see that font thing. I just fix cars. LOL Ted

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Check this out to add to the confusion.
Item on ebay. Ted

Last edited by Signal Gas & Oil; Wed Feb 03 2010 03:06 PM.

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HHhhhhmmmmmmmm?????

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3