Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
s932 #172950 Mon Feb 01 2010 11:20 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: s932
I dont believe its right either. If you put something in an auction and it sales for less well thats just what happens. Case in point I put a set of shakers on ebay last year, and on most days these shakers would bring between 80 and 120 dollars. Mine sold for 25. I know thats not a lot of money, but it would not have been right for me to have someone run them up. You win some you lose some. just my opinion. I do have a question dont you have the right to ask who you are bidding against? I know around here there is one auctioneer who will run you up against yourself. So when i go to his auctions i always ask who am i bidding against.

The bolded highlight happens A BUNCH! that's why you never sit in the front row, an auctioneer will get a feel for your habits and absolutely slaughter you!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its a shame that it happens, so far he has not got me that i know of. He did try and get my uncle last year on a high ticket item. My uncle asked who was bidding against him and he couldnt produce who it was. Needles to say the auctioneer got stuck with the item. It was also kind of funny that he called my uncle a couple days later and tried to sale the item to him for less money, my uncle declined.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Seth Robbins
I dont believe its right either. If you put something in an auction and it sales for less well thats just what happens. Case in point I put a set of shakers on ebay last year, and on most days these shakers would bring between 80 and 120 dollars. Mine sold for 25. I know thats not a lot of money, but it would not have been right for me to have someone run them up. You win some you lose some. just my opinion. I do have a question dont you have the right to ask who you are bidding against? I know around here there is one auctioneer who will run you up against yourself. So when i go to his auctions i always ask who am i bidding against.

The bolded highlight happens A BUNCH! that's why you never sit in the front row, an auctioneer will get a feel for your habits and absolutely slaughter you!

I would think that an auctioneer pulling bids out of the air would be far worse than shill bidding.
So Seth when you see this happening do you roport them to the authorities or at the very least call them on it?

s932 #172953 Mon Feb 01 2010 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL... yes i have heard that happens more than you think. I know for a fact some auctioneers call a bid when they don't have one. Just pay attention during an auction and you will see it happen. They do it more so for the first bid just to get things going. Funny when no ones bids a second bid.

Seth, I would bet to say in this hobby because it's so small it's only a dozen or so guys that play the games. I know of a few that do it. Not right but than again it not my call.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Originally Posted By: huskybob
Originally Posted By: Seth Robbins

I would think that an auctioneer pulling bids out of the air would be far worse than shill bidding.
So Seth when you see this happening do you roport them to the authorities or at the very least call them on it?

There was a local auctioneer that lost his license for doing just that a few years ago around here.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can never please everyone all the time [just ask your wife].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good point DB

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #173055 Tue Feb 02 2010 01:29 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It all goes back to know what you are doing and buyer beware. Sometimes I fail all of the above but still have a good time. Remember it's just a hobby for most of us and any money made is just accidental.

Jerry #173078 Tue Feb 02 2010 10:24 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I go along with Chev 4X4 on all points.I'll keep an eye on it,as I think most of us do,but money is way down the list as to why I'm in the hobby.Having fun with it is at the top of my list.Just my thoughts.Nothing more.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved