Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
After many back and forth emails with an Ebay seller, I secured the purchase of this Purol globe. The item didn't sell when listed, which kind of suprised me since the single lens came with an original wide body holder and didn't even garner its opening bid.
I received the box today, and knew right away the seller didn't read PCM's guide to shipping globes! smile I don't think these Purol's are all that common, and yet another was almost lost due to poor packaging. The box was all beat up, and I could press the top of the box down about 5 inches at least. I'm sure other globe collectors could relate to my horror when I opened the box and could see the lens through the TWO layers of bubble wrap. I was sure it would be damaged. The lens was not even taped in the wrapping and had shifted all the way to one side, almost wedged into the side of the box. But low and behold, this one made it somehow, as did the wide body. It too was barely 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the box, with a bit of bubble wrap to "protect" it from bottom blows. Like my header says, it was a miracle this thing made it in one piece, and boy am I glad it did!
Have a good one all,
Darin
P.S. BUT HEY, at least it was marked FRAGILE!! LOL!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
one of my favorite globes. glad it didnt get broke

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
You must be living clean! Yikes, that thing was almost a goner.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
some folks don't realize they might throw one of my computers on top of that weak box with the globe in it!!!!35-45 lbs
1 wall cardboard will not hold up, 3-4 is better for vertical strength. I have had computers come in and the box look like an accordian, from heavier stuff being thrown on top.
Glad to see the go-rillas didn't get that one.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin:

I'm glad it made it. Losing either the body or the lens would not have made for a good day.

Does that lens have any 'white' on the back? It does not appear to.

Some lenses were produced without the white if they were intended to only be used on a milkglass body. (You would not have needed to go to the trouble of adding the white if the body was going to provide the white background necessary.)

Later . . .

Jim

D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Hi Jim,
No, it doesn't really have the white as heavy as some of my other lenses. One of the first things I noticed about it was how light the background "film" was on this one. I could see my fingers quite well through the back when holding it. A lot of lenses you really can't see through this well.
I had asked my friend and dealer Roger Winchell about the globe and he said the globe book says wide body holder was the original issue, which is what it came with. Now that I'm on my 12th globe, I guess I better buy the books!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Man I would say the Gods where on your side for sure. Nice globe one I still have to get someday smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i remember when i had only 12 globes!!LOL glad it got home in one piece!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
...."get me the Glue".

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
When you look at what it cost to send.......$18.19 you see what it was. It should cost over $35 to send any globe USPS or any shipper.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved