Next Thread
Print Thread
#173973 Sun Feb 07 2010 07:45 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Got a phone call this morning from fellow Old Gasser Mac. He said he got a call from a guy in a town near me that had a building full of junk. He told Mac about a old oil storage compartment & some other stuff he had. He said that we could go through the whole place & if we found something we where interested in we could shoot him a offer on it. At first glance in the building me & Mac looked at each other & said "What the h*ll look at this mess". We started looking through all the stuff & turned up nothing but junk until we went to the second floor. Thats where the delivery truck oil storage compartment was along with the cans & tons of paperwork from American Oil Co. We had to get that compartment over a couple wood boxes about 3 foot tall & this thing is heavy & awkward. Then we had a small walkway about 30 inches wide & about 20 feet down to the ground. We got it as far as we could then the seller & a guy he had there took over & took it down the stairs. After moving a couple hundred pounds of stuff out of the way we finally got it in my truck. The guys where really nice & where glad to make some money. Needless to say it was fun. I took my middle son with me & he had a great time. He said "Dad we are just like those guys on tv going through peoples junk". I just laughed. It was a god day & experience. Well I hope I didnt bore you too much with the story smile

Got this on the pick I went on today. A old Red Crown delivery truck storage compartment. I wish the logos where in better shape but they are still cool smile

This logo is on the side of the compartment on each side.

I also picked up about two cases of these 8 oz American Furnace Oil cans.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Cool find. At least you got the chance to save a part of history instead of it going to the crusher. Mike.

1ADAM12
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
good find, that's nice

Barry
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I notice the 4 holes to the left of the door latch. Somebody took the bucket counter off. Can we see inside in case it was moved to another place ?

G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Sure can I will get pics as soon as I can Dave smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YOU SHOULD ALSO TAKE A CORNER SHOT. I CAN'T TELL HOW BIG IT IS. NOTHING TO COMPARE IT TO. TAKE CARE OF THOSE DECALS! THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE READY TO FALL OFF.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brad,

That thing is really nice! It can have a very nice home in Decatur if Jen kicks it out...

Does it have a shelf inside? Hung on the wall, it could be a nice display for some 5-gal cans or other Standard items. Was Maxell has a nice one in his basement display.

Wes

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Doc,
To give you a reference of the size of the oil cabinet, I think Brad has a 6 foot bed on his truck. We were just barely able to close the tailgate with it loaded. Keep in mind that he has a tool box in there, though... As far as the depth, I'd say it's about 18 inches deep.

It has a couple of shelves in it and it is very heavy. When Brad and I carried it over the 30" walkway (I got to walk backwards), it was a little scary since it was about 20 foot down to the ground if we stepped wrong. The boards in that place were creaky and old. A very large portion of the building had water pouring in through the roof and it was going through the floor to the bottom level in many places. Definitely an accident waiting to happen for the person who steps in the wrong place.

It was a fun day and I was glad we got out of there in one piece and with no need for a tetanus shot. smile

Mac

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'GOT THE TANK THAT COMPARTMENT FITS TOO AND IT'S SITTING ON A WAGON. THAT WOULD MAKE IT COMPLETE,NEEDS SOME TLC AND WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT PIECE. IT'S FOR SALE. TERRY 715 336 2495

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
I have one like it and have thought that it would work well as a home for a flat screen TV when re done. Mine has wooden shelves inside that could be removed. I am planning on using it as a toolbox/storage in the back of my 1975 Ford Shortbed.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved