Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1755 Wed Oct 17 2001 10:08 AM
R
ron*deb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My Dad used to work for Blakely Gas Stations years ago. I have a collection of Blakley Collectables. What I was wondering is if there is a book or publication that tells what all the Blakely Gas Stations gave away back then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#1756 Tue Oct 23 2001 12:08 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
No book, as far as I know, has been written about the Blakley company or their promotions. Just from reading about the company and their promotions, I would probably say that for an independent company, they probably ran more promotions than any other similar company. When they were giving away automobiles (1949 Fords if I remember correctly) they would draw thousands of people, stopping traffic, just for the drawings.
Their Arizona Castus glasses and dishes promotions was probably the largest of it kind.
I have a great deal of literature on the company and some of their promotions that I can copy, and I plan to expand on this topic is a future article for "Check The Oil!" magazine in the near future.
Let me know what you are interested in, maybe I can help.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#1757 Thu Mar 14 2002 10:42 PM
P
P
I don't know of a Blakely book at this time. I have been collecting since the early '80s and spent a lot of time at the Phoenix library researching the Blakely chain. The showed them to be the 2nd largest chain in Arizona. I have heard rumors of a station in Gallup, NM but, have not been able to research that. I know they had 2 stations in Blythe, CA, I don't know if they were in any other states. I know that besides the glasses and 2 types of dishes, there are ice picks, ice scrapers, road maps, road mileage displays, playing cards, variety of matches, lamps, thermometers, photo's of the race cars they sponsored in the Indy races as well as a postcard of the race car. To my knowledge the glasses and dishes were the only giveaways, the other items had to be purchased. I know Blakely did not give away just autos in the 50's-60's but found where they had given away boats, vacations to Paris, appliances. If you know of stations outside of Arizona other than Blythe that existed, I would like to know about them. I also know that there are some of the tall frosted glasses out there with the cactus design on them that match the Blakely cactus but, instead of saying "Arizona" Saguaro Cactus, they say "Western" Saguaro Cactus. Does anyone know for sure if these are Blakely. I heard theories that the "Western" glasses were given out at stations that were not in Arizona and that is why they used "Western" instead of "Arizona". The only problem I have with that is I know that the Blythe stations gave out the "Arizona" glasses as I have family there who fueled at the Blakely stations.

#1758 Sun May 26 2002 12:34 PM
A
A
I think the frosted glasses were already around before Blakely. They were the ones with Western on them. I had one of these with a cactus scene but it also had a bat and yellow moon. Blakely ordered the Arizona ones. They also came with two wooden trays, one for 8 glasses and one large one that included the pitcher. I would say the most sought after item would be a Blakely oil can.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved