Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17637 Fri Feb 08 2008 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was working on a Wayne 60 the other day, getting the lights to work when I plug it in. Not to hard, found out I lost the key and now need a new door lock. Fixed some wiring and got it to work. Today I wanted to get my 36B all lit up also. Thought I just needed to replace a couple lite bulbs and plug it in....

Before I started

First off I pulled off one door and couldn't find an extention cord plug. All that was there was a couple nasty wires sticking out the end of the one pipe conduit. They were pretty bad looking so I went to unscrew that pipe from the internal lights shut off switch box. When I got that off I noticed that instead of the wires hanging down, they were broken off at the base of the shut off switch box. Plus looking into the pipe, there was some kind of hard black stuff. So I go and try to access the threaded plug on the lights manifold. This is of course behind the one side panel. I attempt to remove the reset crank handle so I can get the side panel off but it will not come off, even with the set screw completely out. So as the shaft is sort of long anyways, I get out my drill and try to drill off the head of the shaft, thinking it was mushroomed out some. After breaking off the first bit, I finally get part of the shaft drilled off so the handle will pop off. Next I pull off the side panel and get access to the big threaded plug where the wires are all spliced in at the wiring manifold. (Have to get a pipe wrench at this point to get it off) Anyways, I unscrew the plug and instead of seeing the wires, the area is filled with some kind of hard black stuff. Picture below

So now I decide that the wiring manifold has to come out to get the black stuff out and the wires replaced. Of course, there is a fuel pipe in the way that has to come out first. Tried to wrench it out but no luck, pipe wrench is to small. So I disconect the thing from the site glass manifold and go to remove it, of course it will not fit up through the gap between the frame and the computer mount bracket, so I will have to pull the bracket out so I can get the pipe out to put it in a vise and wrench it off. Anyways, there are two bolts on top of the pump, under the add glass top that hold the wiring manifold in. Get one out, other one is stripped. So I pop off the top and am able to vise grip it out. Now the wiring manifold won't come out because other stuff is in the way. So I get the pipe wrench again and start cranking on the one pipe arm thing to get it off. It turns, the lite socket comes in contact with something hard and gets shattered. I do have one spare lite socket so no big deal. Get the one arm off, get the manifold out and now I have to get the black stuff out. I start chipping away, bugger up a screw driver tip, try the drill, bust another lite socket. Long story short, my 10 minute lite bulb job lasted a good part of the afternoon, I am in worse shape than when I started and the pump now looks like this.

Anybody know an easy way to bet out that black stuff? Will it burn? Is it hazardous?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17638 Fri Feb 08 2008 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heat it with a torch and let it drip out. Stay downwind. You can bet its hazardous!

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#17639 Fri Feb 08 2008 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes sound like you had a fun afternoon,don't worry I think we all have been down that road.Anyway that stuff is hazardous.It's common in most of the pumps.It will burn out and melt.I've done it plenty,don't do it in side and wear a resperator even if your outside,it's nasty stuff.
Joe

#17640 Fri Feb 08 2008 03:15 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm sure that black stuff was carcinogenic before the word even existed. Burned out some of that stuff in other light manifolds during restos.

Folck's rule of thumb number 99: If it emits black smoke while burning and smells like hell, it's bad for you. =:> ) Nice pump, very nice.

I just disassembled a 36B this afternoon myself. It will be in Gilmore colors.

Dave Folck

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved