Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Thanks for the help... Looks like it may be a little difficult to find an original style head. Jack, can you tell me what a pump like this is worth restored? Thanks again.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Restoration values vary greatly, from rattle can to clear coating w/ pin stripping & plating. $300-$3,000 from a swap meet item to a Barret Jerksion Auction item

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As db stated values vary as does, "restoration". Do you want a "factory fresh" look, a "work site" look, a "farm look" or "fantasy look"?
The "factory fresh" look*; crisp paint with a good looking decal.
The "work site" look*; pump has been beat up some but has been kept up, looks "factory" from 20' away.
The "farm" look*; has some rust and is beat up. It is used and used hard everyday. If painted, the paint might not be all the same color. Use whatever paint is available.
The "fantasy" look*; pin-stripping, chrome, polished nozzle and bolts, multi-layered colors and/or paint.

(* My definition of look)

A Commercial pump was abused and used up in a hurry. Most companies that I worked at who had these pumps didn't pay much attention to them until they quit working. The pump on my grandfather's farm was the same way, except it got more abuse from young tractor drivers who had a problem pushing the brake pedal down enough to stop... right away. The fantasy look is just that. All pumps were "workhorses" and were never treated with "kid gloves".

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
OP Offline
With this pump I'm thinking of what you call the factory fresh look. I think Sinclair Aviation for the theme would fit nicely. I am open to suggestions on this one. Thanks again for the help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard. Sinclair Aviation would look cool. I also like the as found look too.
Semper Fi!
Mike

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you intend to sell this pump you will make a larger "Percentage of Profit" selling it the way it is rather than restoring it.
Because:
1. If you restore it and you raise the price you will also be eliminating a large number of protential buyers.
2. As sure as you restore it to say Shell, the first five buyer will tell you they would buy it if it was Texaco.
3. Notice above I said "Percentage of Profit." Lets say you can sell it today for $300.00, you have made 100% profit above the buying cost. If you spend $300.00 restoring it and you sell it for $600.00 you are making the same $150.00 but only 33% of the original cost. Too many guys say, I made $300.00 off of this restored (whatever), but how much "Percentage of Profit" did you make?
4. Restored commercial pumps are hard to sell.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Mar 23 2010 02:32 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
OP Offline
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I agree with the Percentage of Profit. I'm going to go ahead and restore it for myself since it is my first pump. Maybe pump number two will be up for sale. My wife always tells me I have to much junk...can't make a ***** of her now can I.... Thanks again to everyone. I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe before your done you or someone will find the Tombstone single face head [as found on earlier ones].

OP Offline
That would be awesome.... It seems like all the repo parts are for the retail versions. If anyone comes across one let me know. I definetly want to put it back original.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hello "new guy",

From your user ID, can we assume you were a mortarman in the Corps??

Semper Fi

Paul (3531)

OP Offline
That you can... 2 years was Security Forces then the last 2 were with 3/3 Weapons Company 81mm Mortars

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
According to the information you provided above, your pump was made in June, 1948. All the 800s that were made at that time had "Horizontal Counters" not the round tumbstone like head. Your pump is a 800-SH, a version of the 800-S. I wish the picture was better, but there is a possibility that the head is also a "Ticket Printer," but TPs usually had serial numbers that ended in S-TP.

The 800 was introduced around 1934, but it was still being made in the late 1950s, over 25 years of production (and many changes were made during those 25 years).

Also, if you are going to restore it, you will need a new nozzle. The nozzle on the pump is a Gilbarco first used around 1947.

For pictures of the nozzle on your pump go to: http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/g-b%20nozzles.htm

For pictures of the nozzle used on the 800 go to: http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20nozzles-2.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
When were you in? I assume fairly recent. Does the Corps still use both 60mm and 81mm mortars?

I was in four years (1968-72) and moved around quite a bit with three different divisions and one air wing...two partial tours in Vietnam (3rd and 1st Marine Divisions), two cruises - WestPac (3rd) and Med (2nd Marine Division) and briefly with the 2nd Marine Air Wing at Beaufort, SC.

Have fun with your pump restoration.

Paul

OP Offline
Thanks Jack. So is the head on my pump correct then? There isn't any type of ticket printer on it. The pump actually came with two nozzles... the Gilbraco and a new Dover Corp nozzle. Those will probally make their way to ebay soon. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved