Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If John Doe is wanting to sell an item he knows what he wants for it... only reason for not posting what he wants is because he is afraid someone might pay more and he stands to loose $5 more dollars.

This happen to me about 4 years ago. Had a guy call me... said he was selling an item and wanted to know if i was interested. I said sure... what do you want for it... he said make me an offer... i said i don't like making offers. He told me a price and i said ok... he said well i must have sold it to cheap because you bought it to fast. Then tells me it doesn't matter he made 4 times his money anyway.
Really! That happend to me by a member here on this site.
I believe if you have something you want to sell put it on the site and ask a price. If it doesn't sell try ebay... still doesn't sell come back to oldgas and lower your price if you want. If you have an item you found but know nothing about ask what it worth and then post it for sale in the for sale section.

Keep in mind asking people to buy items in the showcase is not allowed! That has been a rule for many years and some forget that from time to time. People posting stuff they have bought for there collection don't like to be bugged about selling it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I get phone calls & emails every day from people who don't know what they want for a sign & while i don't like making offers i don't turn them away especially if its a good piece....i believe you should let a person sell his item how he feels is best for them, even ebay does not force you to list your asking price, neither do reserve priced auctions, newspaper ads, etc...

I think we all agree that it is easier to sell a piece if a price is listed.

The real story here is if it should be mandated to always put a price when listing something here for sale.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
What if we broke this down to 3 seperate sections.
A For Sale,where you must state a price.
A Trade section,where you state you're looking for something comparable.
An OldGas only auction section,where you state an opening bid & by what increnements & what time/day it ends.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I'd add one more section to CP's list "What is it worth?" but only for stuff you would like to buy and need help to make an offer on. Should not be to used to put price on for sale items here or any other sites.
Jim, I'm sure glad to see how you listen to the users of the board, there are a couple of places that don't. Thanks for being a Great Host! tt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As a seller from time to time on oldgas I have had decent results with priced items and auction style sales. However, what does it matter if an item is priced? If you want it you'll ask. You're cutting off your nose to spite your face if don't ask about an item you really want just because it is not priced in plain view. I personally like a priced item because everyone gets the same price. Not always the case when you have to inquire. But that really doesn't matter. To mandate a price be shown is more regulation that's not needed. Price it or not, those that want it will call or email. Leave things the way they are. Remember to send a small piece of sales to oldgas from time to time for the opportunity to sell to an interested audience (not required, just the right thing to do)

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I really don't see what the issue is with putting a price on items that are for sale.

Sounds like a pretty simple concept.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We keep this up and we will have 3 forum pages just for "For Sale" items. Think there's problems now, wait until; I want to sell this item but which category do I have to put it in?

I want money so I need to put a price on it; category 1,
but if someone has something to trade I don't want to miss out; category 2,
but I want to get the last dime out of it, so a 7 day auction would be nice; category 3
but....... (just add another category and keep going)

Hell, we break it down too much and it will be like Ebay, one item be sold in 4 or 5 different categories. And Oldgas is like 1/1000th the size of Ebay.

I think Jim was trying to simplify things not complicate them.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is needed and some voice them here, so far with this reply there are 36 replies and they are all over the place. But the actual voting by a very large margin is put prices on the items. With a total of 77 votes for prices, 18 votes for best offer/auctions and 16 for no pricing.

Sounds as if the "silent Majority" is speaking very loudly!! grin

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The title "For Sale or Trade" is redundant, in my opinion. After all, are we not "Trading" money, for the object of our desire? Thats not to say, that this forum is incorrect, just to reitterate what Bob is saying. Lets not complicate the issue.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
I don't know that everybody who is voting is truly voting for what Jim asked.

Just because you think everybody should post prices (which I agree with) doesn't necessarily also mean that you think oldgas should MANDATE a price in EVERY listing.

Lets think about this.

You have to post a price or your listed will be deleted? That does not sound right to me.

How about, if you don't put a price, you get the boot? How about NO on that one too.

Do we really need more rules?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan, I am going to ask a "smart *****" question(s), but I do think they have merit;

Do we need any rules or mandates? If we do, shouldn't everyone be treated the same under them?... My answer; yes

Do we need the Moderator's, for 90+% of the time?... Again my answer; yes

If it is decided that all "For Sale" items need pricing and if an item isn't priced, wouldn't the Moderator just drop the seller a "note" reminding them the item needs pricing?

When I run afoul of the rules (which I have on a few instances). I get a gentle reminder from a Moderator or Jim, that I did something wrong, why would this circumstance be any different?

How about making it simple, if you have posted over 5000 times, you have one set of mandates..... over 3000 times another set .... 1000 times....etc.... Thinking about that solution...I don't really think that would work.
Or... just make it real simple and make it the same for everyone?

Have pricing, don't have pricing, leave it up to the seller (oh, wait that's the way it is now).... I will live with any decision made, as will most if not all here..... IMO, either leave it as it is or mandate pricing, seems pretty easy from where I'm sitting.

Oldgas Mandate's other rules, why would this one.... how ever it is decided...... be any different?

I'm done, I've taken up too much of everyone's time reading my BS, LOL grin

Last edited by Bob Richards; Tue Mar 23 2010 09:46 AM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Do you think the moderators really need more to do? Is there already not rules in place that at times can be hard to mandate? Do you have any idea the amount of time it takes to read each and every topic every day to ensure everybody is playing nicely? Sometimes I think the people who volunteer their time to help this great site are forgotten about. There are consequences to every action we put into place. Is everybody thinking about the whole general picture, of just what they want personally?

Sometimes, I get really busy during the day and cant watch the site like I would like to be able to. Usually I am on here somewhere around 20-25 times per day. Sometimes not.

I just disagree that this should be a rule, but will embrace which ever path we choose. I have a very open mind and can see both sides of the argument.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Ryan. The moderators don't need more to do. Price it or not. Buy it or not. Don't mandate pricing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

Hell, we break it down too much and it will be like Ebay, one item be sold in 4 or 5 different categories. And Oldgas is like 1/1000th the size of Ebay.

:

i guess i don't understand, since we are only 1/1000th the size of ebay, we should have more rules & regulations than them?? hence forcing people to prices their items.....what next,the price police ???.....please don't get me wrong, i think its very wise to put a price on your item thats for sale, but leave that up to the seller, please don't tell us how to sell...if you want to price your item, beautiful, if you don't want to that should be your choice & not anybody elses...........if somebody wants to get an extra $5 or they choose not to price it, thats their business, you don't have to buy it, walk on by .......to put it bluntly i believe most of us know a couple of people we would not want to sell to in the first place,....there are other reasons as well.......some people don't want the whole internet to know what they paid for an item etc., etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess i don't see it... i don't know of anyone that posts something for sale and doesn't know what they want for it. How hard is it to just put a price there?

I have never seen people get so upset about someone suggesting "for sale" items should be priced. Why waste everyones time by e-mailing or calling to find out it's more than you want to spend or it's sold?

I don't think it should be a "rule" but just be curtice to other guys/gals here.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved