Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181489 Mon Mar 29 2010 12:46 PM
O
onator Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Any recommendation for a newbie here? My son and I thought it would be fun to rehab an old pump. For me it was a chance to flash back to the day's when I pumped gas for a job (too bad he will never have that opportunity. Those were great jobs for a kid!) Little did we realize that this was such a popular and expensive hobby!! OK my question. for a first pump I have 3 nearby options;

1. Tokheim Model 300 ($425)
2. Wayne M+S 80 Ad Top ($500)
3. Gilbarco Model 96 ($325)

Am I in over my head, are these viable options or should I just run and fast?? Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. First thing is to go and buy Jack Sims' pump price guide volume 2. Assuming the Wayne is an ad glass top and not a script top, I don't see those prices as "screaming deals" that you need to jump on. (also depends howe complete they are and in what condition) Having said that, take a look at the pumps in Jack's book and pictures on this website and decide what type of pump you and your son like and go from there.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow, nice start for choices, and depending on condition that is mostly complete with little or no rot and a functioning computer and decent porcelain faces, these seem to be fair prices. Here in my area pumps are scarce and I would buy all three. Tokheim 300's are great pumps, but I would snatch up the 80 if its nice. I sure love mine. Get ready to start spending those Ben Franklin's and welcome to the sport.

O
onator Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Pic's of options

M+S 80.jpg Tokheim300.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Onator--I sent you a PM. Just click on the flashing symbol at the top of this page to read it! Thanks---KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Assuming all are in similar condition, the Gilbarco 96 is the best buy of the bunch. Also a fairly straight-forward pump to restore. Lots of aftermarket parts are available for all three choices, so in the end....choose which one you like most! This hobby is a blast.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I buy a lot of gas pumps and the pumps you have pictured appeared to be priced right. Restoring a pump is never cheap but they look great when they are done. Welocme to Old Gas.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
96 if it is an ad glass pump, complete and straight. Plenty of parts available for that. The 80 ad glass pump isn't a bad deal either. The 300 is the plainest of the bunch in my opinion.

O
onator Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Responded

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TO ME THE TOK 300 IS A BIT OVERBOARD...$350-375 TOPS.

THE M&S AD TOP IS A GOOD PRICE FROM WHAT I CAN BARELY SEE LOL!

THE GILBARCO I CAN'T SEE BUT IF IN SIMILAR COND TO THE OTHERS....PRICE SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Ornator, Welcome....I restore a bunch of pumps each year. My favorite for design and simplicity is the MS80. I am partial as they were built in a town not too far away from me. Next would be the Tokheim 300. Another easy restoration. Lastly would be the Gilbarco 96. These are fairly easy but only if the top is in good condition. The tops are notorious for rusting thru. Prices you quoted are not too far off. I'd be willing to go that high if I needed to. Check out the restored exact pumps on my website under 1940's and 1950's. Might help you decide which ones you'd like to start with? Good luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
Lastly would be the Gilbarco 96. These are fairly easy but only if the top is in good condition. The tops are notorious for rusting thru.

Paul is right about the rust through, However the G&B would be my first choice. Easy to get parts for, lots of character, affordable. And dont worry about the price. Nobody gets into a hobby to save money. Besides.... Where else can ya' meet a bunch of rust collectors like us? Did anybody warn you that you cant stop at just one pump? Welcome to the madness....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
O
onator Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks all for the advice. Now all I have to do is hide it from my bride and I should be good! Suggestions for that? I can only claim to be doing the taxes for another 30 days...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its easier to ask for forgivness, than it is for permission... But what do I know about personal relationships? ROTFLMAO!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you like to look at pictures of pumps go to my website: www.petrocollect.com

Over 5000 images. Check out the Literature section for pictures of the above pumps.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Mar 29 2010 09:35 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved