Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18246 Thu Jun 01 2006 07:50 AM
D
dhuya Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My inlaws purchased an old cottage on the shores of Keuka Lake. Outside there is the neatest lamp/street light - light blue pole, red mushroom cap looking top. On the base it reads "Socony Vacuum" - any idea where I might find some information on this - no logo, no nothing

Allie Oop
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#18247 Thu Jun 01 2006 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds neat..can you post a picture//or get one and email it ot me and I will post it for you...sounds cool

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#18248 Thu Jun 01 2006 10:08 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
While cleaning out an old Conoco Jobbers building I found some square bases for light poles. On each side of the base was a Conoco emblem.
These bases and lights probably came out of company owned stations.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#18249 Thu Jun 01 2006 06:39 PM
D
dhuya Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm afraid I do not have a picture at the moment. I expect that we will be heading back for a visit around the 4th of July. I'll be sure to get some pictures then. I did do some digging on the internet and found some pictures of the old Mobiloil gas stations that had very similar looking lights ... Thank you for your response.

Allie Oop
#18250 Thu Jun 01 2006 11:25 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
There is a older school about 15 mins from where I work in Illinois, and it probably has 15 to 20 light poles with glass acorn style tops on them. All of them read SOCONY VACUUM, "Property of Standard Oil Company" on the entry plates at the bottom. School just recently had a large fire destroying they entire school, but all of the lights are still standing. The school claims that the city is going to re-use them, but told them not to throw them away.

#18251 Fri Jun 02 2006 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dhuya.... Welcome to the best darn petro site on the web. Aaaahhhhh, the Finger Lakes. I spent a lot of time down there, from Rochester, as a kid, beforw we left for Los Angeles. I think that there are a few members down in that area. Fairlane, isn't that your stompin' grounds?
Chad, Keep an eye on those poles. Drive by every day. Things like that have a tendency to dissapear.....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#18252 Mon Jun 05 2006 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Born, raised, and live here. Interlaken, Heart of the Fingerlakes!!!!!!

Sounds like a cool light pole.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#18253 Tue Jun 06 2006 12:10 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Thunder, I learned my lesson the hard way on not keeping tabs on things. 4ft embossed Shell neon two sided, still hanging on the building about 1 minute from were I work. Drove by it so many times, just didn't realize it was gone. My dad and I ran across state to pick up some buys, and decided to check on it on the way back home....GONE! Thing is that the lady that owned it, worked for me. I told her many of times just to tell me what she wanted for it and I would write a check. She sold it for 400 dollars, then I showed her one just like it that sold for 2,800 dollars a month later. She asked me if I would pay that for one, and I told her with a smile " I told you just to tell me what you wanted for it, and I would write you a check." Now she has let her son start selling items out of the garage. Yes she come to me 1st.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved