Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#183590 Fri Apr 16 2010 05:04 PM
OP Offline
Hey guys,
I have a 16' x 16' concrete slab in my backyard. I cannot afford to spend millions of dollars in building a perfectly correct gas station. I would however, like to build a 30-40's era gas station on my slab for Visible pumps without spending a fortune. Does anyone have any pics and/or ideas about my proposed project?

Thanks,
Zack

Zack

TEXACO
"You can trust your car to the men who wear the star"

www.forrestalmemorial.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Underdog #183596 Fri Apr 16 2010 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site Zack. Try Yahoo Image search, I typed in "vintage gas stations" and pages of photos popped up. Hopefully they will help you with your project.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #183601 Fri Apr 16 2010 05:38 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Bob, I did that and found a great deal of ideas. I am finding that 16'x16' is kinds hard to work with in re-creating an old gas station. I also posted this pic i found really neat. It is my dad in the picture at an old station located in Terry, Ms. If these old stations could only talk.

Zack

TEXACO

Underdog #183609 Fri Apr 16 2010 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Underdog #183615 Fri Apr 16 2010 07:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
[quote=Underdog]Thanks Bob, I did that and found a great deal of ideas. I am finding that 16'x16' is kinds hard to work with in re-creating an old gas station. I also posted this pic i found really neat. It is my dad in the picture at an old station located in Terry, Ms. If these old stations could only talk.

Zack, That station is just a couple of miles from my house. It's the Terry Merchantile store, it's been there many years, it's got some neat stuff inside.

Barry
bmclemore #183667 Sat Apr 17 2010 07:21 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You could always find something you like & scale it down some smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Underdog #183682 Sat Apr 17 2010 08:21 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As you work out your design,you may find that 16'X16'is an advantage because that's a standard length for framing lumber and easy to work with when using 4'X8'sheets of plywood.Careful design will mean little if any waste and less costly time in construction.

I do think your construction cost will go up if you build high enough to cover visibles.Have you considered alternatives like a covered front porch with the visibles left uncovered?Just something to think about.

Old Iron #183688 Sat Apr 17 2010 08:44 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Zack
I am in the process of moving a station home. The part I am working on first is power, plumbing and a cement slab. To save money I will be pouring the main building slab first which is around 15' square. Then I will pour footings for the overhang supports and pump mounting slab. I think I am going to try having dirt where the car passes through. In other words you have a nice start for any station with a overhang or canopy. To help justify the cost you can use the building for anything,storage,nice dog house.We will use ours as a display room for our ornamental business

URL=http://img541.imageshack.us/i/comalinnistation.jpg/][/URL]

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Zack
you could make a couple of stations.... add-on the overhead roof section(the name of it escapes me) on opposite ends, set up a pump island on each, lets say Sinclair on one end Texaco on the other. I've had this idea awhile, my building I want to use (an old machine shed) is too close to the "pigpen" on the other end. So I think you have just the right size shed and being your building it new makes it even better. One from the 30's and one from the 40's (I'd probably would go 20's era) sure would be interesting!!! Take care! tt (sorry no pigs in the pen)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg
Zack
I am in the process of moving a station home. The part I am working on first is power, plumbing and a cement slab. To save money I will be pouring the main building slab first which is around 15' square. Then I will pour footings for the overhang supports and pump mounting slab. I think I am going to try having dirt where the car passes through. In other words you have a nice start for any station with a overhang or canopy. To help justify the cost you can use the building for anything,storage,nice dog house.We will use ours as a display room for our ornamental business

URL=http://img541.imageshack.us/i/comalinnistation.jpg/][/URL]
hillside,thats a "hell of a project"!and a very cool building, i can imagine what that will look like,i can't wait to see when your finished, building has tons of potential!
AND WELCOME LONGVIEW TX/UNDERDOG, GLAD TO HAVE YA! wink
OH.........AND THAT IS A WONDERFUL PICTURE YOU POSTED! WHAT A COOL STATION!

Last edited by diesel; Sat Apr 17 2010 10:40 AM.

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
bmclemore #183809 Sun Apr 18 2010 08:33 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: bmclemore
[quote=Underdog]Thanks Bob, I did that and found a great deal of ideas. I am finding that 16'x16' is kinds hard to work with in re-creating an old gas station. I also posted this pic i found really neat. It is my dad in the picture at an old station located in Terry, Ms. If these old stations could only talk.

Zack, That station is just a couple of miles from my house. It's the Terry Merchantile store, it's been there many years, it's got some neat stuff inside.

Hey, that is awesome. My dad grew up in Hazlehurst. We were back there a few weeks ago and he wanted to show that old store. We went inside and it was awesome to say the least. It is a small world.
Zack Methvin

Zack

TEXACO

Underdog #183810 Sun Apr 18 2010 08:47 AM
OP Offline
This is actually what i have on my slab right now and i am trying to find a way to improve or do something more gas station related.

Zack

TEXACO

Underdog #183813 Sun Apr 18 2010 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe you have to have some old pumps first.That would be my fist thing I would do, may be a oil can rack. Just my 2 cents worth.

Underdog #183816 Sun Apr 18 2010 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hang a canopy and a couple of pumps out front and it would look like a number of small stations that operated from the 20s through the 50s. The siding looks to be galv or older alum siding? Replace the Mercury vapor fixture with an older bonnet. Not sure the structure but if wood 2xs, you might think about another window (larger) or a smaller overhead door next to the door. Looks as if there is a concrete pad in front of the doorway for a pump or two. The ground looks as if it slopes into the building, so not sure how much you want to expand (if at all) the surrounding landscape to make a large flat area in front of the building?

Is the building a shed used for gardening tools, workshop, "mancave" or office?

Looks to me, that you already have a good starting point for having your own small station.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
HI-OCTANE #183828 Sun Apr 18 2010 10:15 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: HI -OCTANE
I believe you have to have some old pumps first.That would be my fist thing I would do, may be a oil can rack. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have the pumps and signs. I just don't have them out yet.

Zack

TEXACO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved