Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
keithia #179857 Wed Mar 17 2010 08:47 AM
F
F
I enjoy watching the show, but it will do some damage to us collectors when a lot more people who have visibles and other gas & oil items on their property will raise the price just because the watched "American Pickers".

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The oven repairman was at my house today and saw my visible in the garage. The first thing he said DO you know what that thing is worth. I told him yes i know what its worth. He then said well I was wathcing American Pickers and that pump is worth a lot of money. So i then had to explain to him the whole tv vs reality thing.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #179969 Wed Mar 17 2010 08:01 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: s932
The oven repairman was at my house today and saw my visible in the garage. The first thing he said DO you know what that thing is worth. I told him yes i know what its worth. He then said well I was wathcing American Pickers and that pump is worth a lot of money. So i then had to explain to him the whole tv vs reality thing.

Just curious.... Do you have a gas oven and was it on at the same time that he was repairing it?

badgas #179986 Thu Mar 18 2010 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yes and yes

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #179996 Thu Mar 18 2010 05:52 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
the snow is melted enough now in northren minnesota so i'm finally able to start my spring shopping spree. everyone i've talked to so far have asked me if i've seen the pickers show. i'm starting to think everyone has seen the show.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Barrett-Jackson did the same thing to collector vehicles with their massive auction prices a few years ago.

I used to buy 1948-52 trucks for peanuts, but after BJ, everyone thought that their oxide was actually gold. I've heard so much of "All fixed up, one sold on Barrett Jackson for (such and such) amount" that I stopped buying trucks for a while. Now the prices have come down drastically, especially due to the economy.

badgas #180021 Thu Mar 18 2010 11:20 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've run across the same thing as I'm out buying. Yes, most everyone has either seen or heard of the "Pickers". I tell them that I like the show, which is true, but that I'm a bit of a realist. I ask them if they have seen "Pawn Stars" too? Most answer yes.....I then explain that I am going to play the part of "The Old Man" and I'll usually offer a fair price where there is room for me to profit. Just need to educate them a little.....not much of a problem. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I tell folks pumps are just like cars.....
Either you have a Ugo or a Duesenburg, there is that much range in the value.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My opinion on American Pickers?
Might cause those farmers who we visit and try for a fair deal on their pump,sign,can,etc to be sticklers on wanting too much money for after they see the show.
On the other hand it might give our depressed visibles which some did not previous notice or care about a much needed boost in the value department.
I loaded up a bunch of old extra pumps about two weeks ago and hauled them to a local swapmeet and you would not believe the people( non collectors) that showed extra interest in the visible on my trailer mentioning the picers show. 80% of the walkup people mentioned either Pawn Star or Pickers. At our shop we have a pump out front on the sidewalk, and our Honda customers mention the show almost daily. So I can see both sides of it.
Rob

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Unfortunately and fortunately we are in the information age. It all comes with it's upside and downside. How we feel about it is up to the individual. How we work with it creates new opportunities or road blocks. I don't think there really is a positive or negative that is more lopsided than the other, really. It creates challenges, yes. But the possibilities can also payoff. I see the show as entertaining and somewhat informative. Meeting and striking bargains with people I think is one the more interesting aspects of it. Take what you can from it and be entertained by the rest.

........Dave
R
R
Hey guys. I've been using this site for reference for some time but never thought to join. I just thought I'd chime in and say that these shows are probably influencing the collector market a lot more than we might think.

http://www.worthpoint.com/article/top-10-worthopedia-searches-march

I saw this article recently and noticed that three out of the 10 items on that list appeared on either American Pickers or Pawn Stars. I'm not sure whether it's for better or for worse, but the shows are definitely drumming up interest for the hobby! For the record, I'm a big fan of both shows!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved