Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas. That Platolene sign is definitely a keeper !

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome ,welcome! neat finds !and good luck cleaning the rest of your friends place out!tear it up! wink find some more treasurers!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome to the site! Road maps are a nice, affordable place to get started.

H
OP Offline
H
funny you should say that!

I got some of the old maps from the station too!

The saddest thing about the sign is it was bent at the top like I said but it wasn't from wind, tornado, or etc. They bent it and put legs at one end to have a covered place to put the push mower.

but I kept in mind that when this was done it was just junk metal, just like all those crappy 50's and 60's cars laying around. lol

blows your mind when you think of it that way huh?

H
OP Offline
H
oh yeah! I forgot to mention the 6 nos 34-38 chevy carbs I found. let me know if anyone needs one. lol

as far as keep going.. we tore the building down last week. may be a few things in last small corner of the shop, but not likely (in case I confused you, most of the big stuff was in the storage shed, which is gone. we still have the shop(90% done) and the 2 mobile homes(unlikely to find anything))

I don't have a pic yet, but If I understand the posts here it seems signs like mine had a metal ring around them for stability and mounting. I think I found one that is like 18". I will post a pic soon and you can help me. thanks guys!

H
OP Offline
H
I thought I would post some other petroliana that I got a few years ago probably not much but I think they are neat.

IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/hoopty388/cans.jpg[/IMG]

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
keep digging, nice finds, throw NOTHING away.
(until you post it here and no one has any interest...)

H
OP Offline
H
here it is

as you can see it has two spots that look like a bolt type item goes across the open area. On the bottom is a theaded piece that I would guess to be 3/8. on the sides is two tabs (to hold the sign?). I don't know this is a sign holder but to look at it, I think it is. please let me know what it is and what it is worth. would like to sell or trade (preffered) but need some info first.

H
OP Offline
H
as far as throwing things away, I don't throw anything away until I know its worthless. lol

I found a bunch of old (50's) ads for tools and misc from old magazines. don't know if they are worth much but I think they are cool.<yeah I know I repeat that alot. lol

H
OP Offline
H
any ideas what that ring is?

H
OP Offline
H
sorting through more boxes and found something else from the old gas station. thought someone would think it was neat.

it is the original tax license from 1951. I am working on an art piece so this will look pretty neat.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That Ring looks more like a barrel clamp, to hold lid on a 1/4 barrel of grease. Missing locking clamp.

H
OP Offline
H
I will try to get better photos but I don't think that is what it is. this is basically an 1/8 piece of flat steel bent in a circle. it is not curved like most barrel clamps I have seen. I'm not saying it's not that but I don't think so. thanks for the input.

H
OP Offline
H
been busy working on the house but got a couple pics.

first off i posted this elsewhere but thought i would repost to keep it all together.

just a quick resto job on an auction bought pump. the cylinder is solid brass. I need to get it polished better, but i helped it alot.

got the platolene hung up. even looks bigger up there. didn't think it was possible. got the bend back enogh to be livable.

got this can from the friends cleanout. she found me some old pics of the gas station, and 2 of these cans are on the front stoop. kind of cool to think it could be this exact can. lol. cleaned it up a bit since pic, helped out a bunch.

H
OP Offline
H

this actually was the first sign i found, but sold to my dad years ago. he recently gave it back to me, since i have been getting into to this stuff. It is one of those "wood"(not really wood but i think you know what i'm talking about. still has most of the reflective paint on it.

my dad lives down the street from the old distributor for this product. a church bought the building when i was in high school and cleaned it out. I got off the bus and saw this in the trash. of course I snagged it and ran home. looking back I wish I would have grabbed the 3 flats of nos cans of oil that were there also. live and learn.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved