Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1857 Tue Dec 06 2005 06:12 PM
st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I would like some opinions. What is the most up to date book on oil can prices? In your opinion. I know cans went up then down etc. What do you think? Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#1858 Tue Dec 06 2005 07:35 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think that American Oil Can Volume 1 by Tom and Susan Allen is the best can book out there and gives very honest (opinions) of values of cans. I don't like that it omitted many major brands so they could include them in volume two.
Anybody know if the Allens are going to do the 2nd Volume anytime?
Collecting Oil Cans by Miller is another one I have that I use a lot but you won't find any of the neat independent oil company cans that are so graphic like Jayhawk or Hudson.

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 12-06-2005).]

#1859 Tue Dec 06 2005 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think the pricing is accurate in any of them but I prefer the Miller and Sonewald books over the Allen's book.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#1860 Wed Dec 07 2005 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I AGREE WITH BOB ON HIS CHOICES. THERE'S TWO VOLUMES IN THE MILLER/SONEWALD SERIES...BIGGER PICTURES AND OFFERS MORE BRANDS AND VARIETY OF SIZES. 4 OUT OF 5 TIMES THE ALLEN BOOK WILL NOT HAVE WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR....STILL WAITING FOR VOLUME 2 AND HOPING NOT TO BE DISAPPOINTED!??

DOC @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#1861 Wed Dec 07 2005 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob and Doc, I respectfully couldn't disagree with you guys any more.

The Allen book has the name of the can, company, colors of the can, material, era and value of each can for a total of 1100 pictures. This book is great for both beginning collectors and advanced collectors because it shows you how to date cans, grade cans and a short history of cans. Yes the pricing is a little off but what book isn't by the time it hits the shelves. Their will be more volumes of this book and a few majors will be covered in each volume.

As for the other book. I was taught if you can't say anything good about someone or in this case something, don't say anything at all. I will just say this. I put the book for sale on ebay the day I received it.

Doc, more brands than the Allen book, you have got to be kidding right.

All of this is just my opinion and Larry if you are looking for a quart can book than Allen's is the one if you are looking for various shapes and sizes maybe Miller's is the one. I know Allen's is sold in the oldgas bookstore and I'm not sure about Miller's.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Jayhawk Oil
Kansas City, Missouri

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#1862 Wed Dec 07 2005 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SCOTT, I'M 100% SURE OF YOUR OPINION ONLY FROM THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A TRIED AND TRUE QUART CAN COLLECTOR. I CAN SEE WHERE THE ALLEN BOOK IS GREAT FOR I.D'ING UNUSUAL CANS THAT SOME COLLECTORS LIKE YOURSELF GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO SEEK. HOWEVER, IT'S ONLY ABOUT QUARTS AND MANY OF THE COMMON CAN BRANDS ARE MISSING. GULF....SHELL....QUAKER STATE....CALSO/CHEVRON....AND OTHERS .....NOT IN THE ALLEN BOOK!
I HAVE TO REFER TO OTHER BOOKS FOR THIS INFO. I'VE HAD THE ALLEN BOOK FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT VOLUME TWO WOULD BE 2 MORE YEARS IN THE WAITING. WHO'S TO SAY WHAT WAS MISSING IN THE FIRST BOOK WILL BE IN THE SECOND? I WAS JUST SAYING THAT THE MILLER BOOKS OFFERED ALOT OF VARIETY AND SIZES AND WHILE THEIR BOOKS DON'T SAY HOW MANY CANS ARE IN THEIR BOOKS, I'M SURE IT'S A PRETTY CLOSE RACE.

IF YOU WANT TO COLLECT QUARTS ONLY AND NOT HAVE THE WHOLE PICTURE FOR A WHILE...IT'S THE ALLEN'S BOOK.

IF YOU WANT TO COLLECT ANY OIL CANS NO MATTER WHAT BRAND SHAPE OR SIZE....IT'S THE MILLER/SONEWALD BOOKS.

TAKE YOUR PICK!

JMOHO!

D C @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#1863 Wed Dec 07 2005 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi- Im still using Ed Loves books-( these were the best avail for many years}- pricing is a little off but what book isnt-thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#1864 Wed Dec 07 2005 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, you still see the Love books for sale on ebay once in awhile.

I see your side of the argument Doc. If you guys look at your books as much as I do they are all a really good investment.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Missouri

Scott Shipers
#1865 Wed Dec 07 2005 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been a huge can collector and I have said nothing. As Scott said if you have nothing nice to say about something or someone perhaps saying nothing is the best thing. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
#1866 Wed Dec 07 2005 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hmmm.....I'm looking at the part of my Miller and Sonewald books that describe how to grade cans, describe the different materials used, and tips on dating cans.
I do think the pricing is high on some of the cans, but others they are dead on. One of the things I really like about their books is they nail the date a can was first used rather than saying a can was from a certain decade.

No book is going to make everyone happy. They are just another tool for the collector to use. The Allen book is strictly quarts, the Miller/Sonewald book covers mostly quarts but other sizes of cans are covered too.
The more experienced collectors depend on price guides less than beginners, but no one knows it all. That's why its nice to have the books handy.
Don memtioned Ed Love's books. I believe that Miller and Sonewald own the rights to those books now. Not sure what they intend to do with them.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#1867 Wed Dec 07 2005 12:44 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
I think that you guys are splitting hairs. I don't own the Allen book, but I have looked through it. My favorite book, by far, is the Miller, Stonewald can book. Mostly for the information in the beginning and, of course, I love to look at pictures. They have a section in the beginning for oil can grading, container type codes, known can companies, and date coding tips. There is also a section for cans with open dates. They cover all sizes of oil containers which is what I like.

I think that when you say that you won't say anything about anybody or anything, you have already expressed a negative opinion.

Just my opinion and I respect yours.
REX LIKES PICTURES

#1868 Wed Dec 07 2005 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rex I still say nothing about all these can books and I'm surely not being negative. But I will say this, the pictures in all the above books are good stuff to look at. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
#1869 Wed Dec 07 2005 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your are right Rex. By me saying what I did it does express a negative opinion and I apoligize to those I have offended.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Missouri

Scott Shipers
#1870 Mon Dec 12 2005 04:04 PM
st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim, Received my'American Oil Cans Book today. Thanks!! Scott thanks for your input and all the others also. Seems to be a good book and if anything the prices might be only a little lower on the cans I am looking at now. I would rather have it that way. I know I opened one of the pages of one of the other books in the old gas 'bookstore' and its price on a frontier can was more than double what they go for now. Anyway thanks again. Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#1871 Mon Dec 12 2005 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
..I like both books, but was disappointed when I got the Allen book and NO GULF!! How could any petro book be a Vol 1 and NO GULF??...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved